No announcement yet.

Euro 2008 discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First game was a snoozefest, but opening matches usually are. Second match was very entertaining though The Czechs seem to have lost their form from the qualifiers, but some great chances for Portugal. Pepe especially was impressive
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

So that's what all of the Portugese flags were doing. It was crazy around here, tons of people with Portugese car flags and some others with full-sized Portugese flags hanging out the window cheering and screaming.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Go down the pub with them and watch their next game, Asher. They're a good side, and it might be their year.

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
          First game was a snoozefest, but opening matches usually are. Second match was very entertaining though The Czechs seem to have lost their form from the qualifiers, but some great chances for Portugal. Pepe especially was impressive
          The Turks were a bit dirty, but they play positive football. Them v Portugal always looked like an entertaining fixture.

I missed the Czech goal (watching F1 Canadian GP qualifying) - was Senderos to blame?

Comment

Teh way teh American commentators hyped Ronaldo before teh game was embarrassing. He didn't play very well.
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Well, he is the best player in the world (TM). Makes sense they'd hype him. And he played well enough... a few nice runs, hit the post on a free kick, was instrumental in the 2nd goal.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

He did look a bit sulky though, when the camera was on him, which was about every three minutes.

Comment

Portugal - Turkey was overall good Didn't watch the opening match.
                  Blah

Comment

Ronaldo's influence is bound to be less at this level, he did well enough.
                    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

He was quite selfish and too goal-oriented, as usual. Portugal could've scored some more if Ronaldo had passed to a fellow player with more space on a few occasions or dropped back a few times to create more space, but that's a character flaw that I'm not sure he'll get over at this point. Considering that, he indeed did do well enough. Paled in comparison with Pepe though.

Comment

The Czechs were quite disappointing, not in the least since they didn't field Milan Baros . They looked pretty bleak and really need to do better if they are to beat the Turks, who put up a good fight against the vastly superior Portuguese.
                        The Swiss performed much better then I had expected, but they won't get to the quarter finals having to face the Portuguese still.
                        Portugal put on a good show (only watched the second half), much better then I had expected (obviously ) and they look a strong contender for the title.

In all a good set of matches for the first day
                        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Germany - Poland

Entertaining match indeed.

Austria, as the other co-host, Switzerland were unlucky
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Great effort by the Poles. They had the Germans well in retreat. Not good enough though .

Austria deserved a draw against the disappointing Croats.
                            "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                            "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Please note that we made some rule changes to the prediction competition to make it a little friendlier for latecomers that still want to play -- after all, the more the merrier You can now still predict group winners, champion and top scorer for teams that haven't played yet. So if people were too late initially but want to join after all, you still have a fairly decent chance to compete if you do so quickly.

Anyway, the Croats, Poles and Austrians all appear to be on fairly even terms so far, it could be a more contested group than many anticipated

Comment

That's because the Croats were amazingly poor in the second half. I don't think they'll repeat it. And even with that poor performance, you could still see that Austria really lacks the skills on an individual level.
                                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Working...
                                X