NHL: Current Hall of Famers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL: Current Hall of Famers

So, for whatever reason, I started thinking about this this morning - what current NHL players are true Hall of Famers? I don't mean people that are so good they'll one day qualify, like Ovechkin or Crosby, but rather active players that if they hung up their skates at the end of this season, should get inducted into the Hall.

I'm thinking...

Locks:
    Shanahan
    Brodeur
    Chelios
    Jagr
    Sakic
    Hasek
    Lidstrom

On the bubble:
    Sundin
    Modano
    Selanne
    Roenick
    Recchi
    Joseph

Agree, disagree? I am missing anyone?
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Sundin I'd disagree with. He's good, but not exceptional, and hasn't really done much in the big picture.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      Sundin I'd disagree with. He's good, but not exceptional, and hasn't really done much in the big picture.
      Granted, he hasn't won any Cups, but his career stats are better than those of Modano or Roenick (who also hasn't won a Cup), for example.
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

Roenick is eligible for reasons other than his stats.

Modano is also the record holder for American-born players, which helps him a lot.

I guess Sundin was the first Euro first overalll...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Sundin should get in just because he put up stats on the Maple Leafs...
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I'd suggest Federov, but I'm not sure I'd vote him in. He has pretty good career stats.
            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Federov and Bure should be there.

And you can't ignore Keith Tkachuk. 500 goals for a Left winger is excellent.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Bure isn't an active player, and hasn't been for several years. He doesn't have the stats or acomplishments anyway (only five really good seasons, huge drop offs after that). Nor does Tkachuk, although he's obviously active. I don't think Fedorov has the stats either, but he does have three Cups, two Selkes, a Hart and a Pearson, plus he was the first Russian to get 1,000 points in the NHL, so that might push him over the top.

Comment

lol more like Current Hall of Flamers LOL
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Bure isn't an active player, and hasn't been for several years. He doesn't have the stats or acomplishments anyway (only five really good seasons, huge drop offs after that).
                    Pavel Bure

1. Calder Trophy (Rookie of the year)
                    2. Rocket Richard trophies (2000-2001).. Would have won 3 others if the award were given in his early part of his career.

3. 6x NHL all-star.
                    4. 5x 50+ goal seasons.

4. GPG of 0.73, behind only Gretzky and Mario.

6x All star and 5x 50+ goal seasons should get him in.

The other players ahead of him in that statistic are Gretzky, Mario, Bossy, Dionne and Lafleur. Only Gretzky and Bossy have more the 6x 50+ goal seasons.

Yeah, his career stats are not up there, but his games played are comparable to Orr.
                    Last edited by Ben Kenobi; April 3, 2008, 18:40.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

As for Federov, three cups, 2 selkes, 1 hart.

He has 471 goals and 1143 points.

If he gets another 30 goals and 100 points he'll be in for sure.

Comment

I like your list of 'locks'. Hard to argue with anyone on that list.

As for your bubble? I think there is a huge space between your locks and bubble players. I wouldn't be disappointed if not one on your bubble list made it.

/me

Edit: I'd put Niedermayer on the "lock" list.......err, Scott, not Rob
                        "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

You know what, Ben? I may just give you Bure after all. You make some good points (although he would have only one one more Richard trophy if it had been around, not three more), and reflecting back on his career, he was unique. Still, he's not a current player (my original point), and his short career may really hurt him (let's not get nuts and compare him to Orr - a friggin' defenseman who in almost 50 fewer games than Bure put up more than 130 more points)

Comment

I think Modano and Roenick are definitely in, though clearly on a different tier than the "locks" you listed.

I think Bure and Federov are also likely in.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                            X