No announcement yet.

Rugby - New Year, New Coaches, New Laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always happy to listen to the voice of experience. I need to improve my reflexes to follow that game plan though.

In Super 14 at the moment is hands in the ruck a free kick or a penalty offence? You are quite right I was both tired and hungover but I couldn’t quite nail this one (although I saw the free kick given often enough for going off their feet). In my defence the commentators ramble on about all sorts of nonsense making it quite hard to tell what the referee has given at times.

No news from Tigers about coaching changes – nor will there be until we go out the play offs. It is the calm before the storm I am sure.

And the first big test for Jonno today – I like some of the young names that the Beeb are speculating on. But it looks like an instant fail on the skipper front as Borthwick and Tindall seem to be front runners. I can only assume this tour is being written off and scapegoat is being lined up before he names his real squad and skipper later in the year. That’s my hope anyway as there are many better lock options than Borthwick and I’d only accept Tindall if it keeps Noon out of the squad.

By the way Newcastle excelled themselves in the end and finished 11th out of 12. I mention it because that’s how they always performed under Rob Andrew after 1998 too – and he thinks he can coach a winning side in NZ. Hardly.

btw Finbar I see the disgraced Mr Sailor is heading back to the junior code for a last hurrah?
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Hands in the ruck is a free-kick offence. Penalties at the breakdown are for offside - not going through the gate, defenders in front of the last man on their side - and deliberately slowing down the ball.

I saw some interesting stats on the effects of the ELVs the other day. I'll see if I can find them.

I can't imagine J**** selecting anything other than a squad he wants. As for skipper, I haven't got a clue. Stuart Barnes doesn't think Borthwick has the steel and I agree. One lock I would like to see given an opportunity is the chap from Irish, think his name's Kennedy. And a back row built around Croft, Haskell and Lipman wouldn't go far astray either.

The Kiwi S14 teams are all of the boil at the moment. Should be an interesting tour.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Rees is likely to displace Lipman there now he is fit. Kennedy made the cut too so lets see if he can get a test berth.

All in all it's a disappointing selection though. Jamie Noon features yet again. As does Charlie Hodgson.

The Saxons boys heading to the USA look a more promising outfit yet again.

My hope has to be that this is a sacrifical lamb squad before the real squad for the autumn. Because if this is the squad Martin wanted he may well be out of his depth already. And it really pains me to say that!
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Where's Harry Ellis? Not in either squad. It's a strange mixture of youth and the Charlie Hodgsons of the world. Odd that Ojo gets a gig in front of Varndell - which isn't to say that Ojo isn't promising, he is, but I wonder if there's another agenda with Varndell. Attitude, perhaps. I'm still not convinced that Ollie Barkley is up to it at international level - a corker at club level - but we shall see.

I really can't see J**** picking a sacrificial lamb squad. His name is attached to it.

Oh, and I did notice that Wendell has returned to the silly game. Who else would have him?
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Apparently Ellis and Hipkiss are both being given the summer off to further rehab their knee and groin respectively.

Varndell apparently pushed Ojo close according to Jonno.

Comment

• I imagine they will start Strettle and Sackey (if fit) anyway. I like Strettle. Cluey player. I'll be interested to see if Brown steps up at full back. Apparently he didn't in South Africa. I've seen him do some quality things at club level but I've fallen for that before. Hullo Nick Easter.

Comment

• Quite.

And all of that leaves the Saxons able to field Crane at number 8 and have Banahan and Varndell on the wings. Works quite nicely for the Saxons I think.

Looking at what Jonno says about Varndell:

"We felt that sending Tom to play with the Saxons would be better for him than picking him for New Zealand and not being involved. He will be the first replacement wing for the senior squad if needed."
                Strange reasoning. So they picked the 'exciting' Ojo not to be involved perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                X