No announcement yet.

Rugby - New Year, New Coaches, New Laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm amazed they're going to trial the "let's collapse the maul because we can't stop it" law anywhere in the world. Heck, even the SH thought it was a stupid idea and didn't bother trying it in S14 and we know what fools reside in the SH.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Nick Evans off to Quins. Dan Carter possibly off to France. The ranks are thinning. Though, while Evans rules himself out of the next RWC, I think Carter would plan to return to NZ in time.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• There is a real possibility of schism in World Rugby Union now. the RFU are running a consultative process with fans and making gentle hints that the ELVs won't be adopted here (because we want to play Union not League).

Paddy's think tank have thrown the rugby world into chaos with their ill considered rubbish (guess which side of the fence I sit on?).

I have no idea why we have signed Flood - but I hope it lights a fire under Mauger as he has phoned in too many performances so far. The odd flash of brilliance has made it clear he has much more to offer us than he has so far.

Loffreda is saying the wrong things - he thinks a fitfth place finish is "moving in the right direction" for a side that were champions last season. That said it looks likely to be Cockerill who will have to go in the summer - Loffreda is reputedly bringing in his own number two.
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak
          the RFU are running a consultative process
          The mob who (a) opposed professional rugby; (b) couldn't be bothered contracting its Test squad; (c) appointed Turnip; (d) left him in the job a couple of seasons too long; (e) appointed Rob Andrew; (f) who recommended the renewal of Brian Ashton's contract three months before flicking him. I call that credibility.

Paddy's think tank have thrown the rugby world into chaos with their ill considered rubbish (guess which side of the fence I sit on?).
          A lot of it's utter rubbish, some of it's not, IMHO, having seen some of the laws in action. But there's so much complete and utter rubbish being written in some of the English press about the experimental laws that it makes the rubbish law proposals read like gems.

Loffreda ... thinks a fifth place finish is "moving in the right direction"
          Annoying, wasn't it? Shades of Turnip. Given his lack of English, I suspect someone - stupidly - put the words into his mouth. The match wasn't on Sky here. I listened to it via BBC Newcastle or whatever it's called. Bias, with a remarkable accent!

I read somewhere that the Argie #10 was staying in for France another season. Perhaps that explains Toby Flood.

Comment

• That is the organisation yes. I never said they were admirable. But any port in a storm yes?

As for speculation in the UK press - not English if you please sir - take that with a pinch of salt as always.

All the BBC local stations are somewhat biased in their commentary - and yes that accent is something else.

I hope you are wrong about Hernandez - but I'll give Flood a go. Goodey has a great boot but too often he just can't get his backline working.
            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• You're denying that bastion of liberalism and progressive thought, the Daily Telegraph, is English?

I thought I'd lived a life until I heard "Leicester are gifted another try by the referee!" screamed in a Geordie accent. Now I know I've lived a life.

Comment

• You'll note that Wasps did last night what we have so often failed to do this season - easily put away a poor side.

No doubt said Geordie was screaming exactly the same complaint.

The Telegraph is perhaps the most English of the UK 'quality' press yes. But their columnist is Paul Ackford right? You really shouldn't take his opinions seriously - he never got over the fact a very young Johnson ended his England career.*

My point was more that the vocal criticsim of the ELVs is wider than the English - the Welsh have certainly voiced concerns about them too.

Did you notice by the way that Edinburgh beat Ospreys the other weekend? It is a measure of how awful Tigers season has been that we couldn't do the same.

* Sorry - confused him with Wade Dooley there!

Ackford is actually a man who made his England debut at an advanced age (30) and was only around until the 1991 RWC. He has recorded some very anti-jonno views in his journalistic career so naturally isn't on my list of favourites. He is perhaps best known for when he was punched unconscious by a young Puma Hooker called Mendez (who went on to play for Northampton!).
                Last edited by Havak; May 8, 2008, 06:00.

Comment

• So Craig Newby has definitely signed for us then.

"I know a lot about the history of the club and that's one of the reasons I chose Leicester. I think I'll suit the English game, it's quite a physical forward style.

The way Leicester run the club was very important to me, there's a family nature to Tigers. I've got a young family and I'm looking to add to it, so that was one of the biggest things for me."

The lad knows how to appeal to the fans when he moves clubs I think. But one thing I do find confusing - he chose Tigers because he was looking to add to his family? That is one of the more unique reasons I have heard for a player signing!

Comment

• New Age PR babble. I've seen a bit of him in S14. Good strong player, versatile, nothing particularly special. I suspect he's going to be a hole-filler when others are away on national duty.

The Sharks S14 coach says Leicester made an approach to him.

Comment

• I wouldn't be too suprised at that. *edit* I guess that answered both your comments?

The bottom line this season is that the club got consistently better results before Loffreda was there than they did after he arrived. A coach can often carry the can for that - whatever is to truly blame.

For me what worries me is there have been some shocking capitulations - Ospreys probably the worst example but the Falcons game last weekend ran it close. I am sure there is something wrong in the locker room - and if Loffreda or Cockerill is the price to pay to get back on track then so be it.

And if I can also return to a favourite of mine - after his brace last weekend Varndell went back to the top of the premiership try scorers table (in a team that is not having a good season). He is also IMO the best finisher in the Premiership bar none. I cannot see why he cannot make the England senior 30 when the likes of Cueto can. Let's hope the new broom of common sense from 1st July starts to select England players purely on merit (so long Jamie Noon!).

Actually Noon will make the NZ tour because Rob Andrew - his former club coach - is running that show. Let us hope it is his swan song.

Comment

• I think it would be tough on the Argie to sack him now. He hasn't even had a full season. I also think that Andy Goode's utter inconsistency this year has been a major factor. I also suspect that the capitulations are as much a matter of lack of onfield leadership. Martin Corry is a leader by example but doesn't have enough bustard about him. Same when he led England, I think.

Speaking of wingers, that monster from Bath, whatever his name is, could have a future. He scored an astonishing long-distance try last weekend. At a friend's place for dinner last night, I was sitting opposite a couple of Brits from Bath, fervent rugby people, fervent Bath supporters. Oddly, they were more than charitable about Leicester, and not just because they're struggling at the moment. They can't be true Bath people.

Comment

• Very little of the niggle between Tigers and Bath is particularly serious. Much of it is done for the sake of habit I think.

The niggle between Tigers and Wasps fans has become much nastier in the last few years since we realised most of their 'fans' are soccer glory dogs. In my opinion.

That would be Banahan for Bath I think? Very promising player I agree.

It would be tough on Marcelo - but this is my club that dismissed it's own legend Deano in a truly brutal fashion. The Peters (Tom and Wheeler) are not afraid to wield the knife.

Agree about Goode - but surely we don't see Flood as the answer? Hernandez must be coming or why else would we let Nick Evans through our fingers? Unless Carter isn't going to France after all of course....

And yes you are right about Cozza - hell of a nice fella, fantastic player, but found wanting as a skipper too often. Such a shame he spent his best years shining a bench for England behind Dayglo.

Comment

• Hard to think that a last-minute try could make much difference to a coach's future. Should the team have been in the position of needing a last-minute try, not to mention particular results in other matches?

Also hard to know what to make of the Bath-Glos result. Bath, losing Mears and Stevens, were without two of their absolute keys.

Comment

• Well spotted Sir - in the early exchanges with those two bashing ball up Bath looked a different side entirely.

I caught an awful lot of rugby yesterday – the second half of Blues v Highlanders so I got to see our new man skippering the latter. I think he will do a good job for us.

Then I saw Reds v Crusaders until about the 60 min mark (so yes I missed the Canterbury comeback that got them the win). I did see Latham’s career end with what sadly looked like a torn pectoral.

Both games were enjoyable. Can I check that the ELVs are in effect in all of Super 14? It seems as if going of your feet, not entering from behind the back foot and indeed handling on the deck all seem to be free kick offences now? Does anyone truly think changing the laws to reward the infringing side was a sensible change to make? Or perhaps I was hung over and saw this one incorrectly?

Early in the Reds second half I got the dreaded “Are you going to do anything productive before going to Tigers?” so that was it for me until 3pm.

And what an afternoon that was. What you won’t have seen from the brief Sky coverage was Andy Goode having a shocker (again) or the dire spectacle of Corry approaching the bench for instruction on what kind of penalty to take late on (the bench said let Goode kick again – he missed again).

Goode’s time is up methinks – so lets hope it isn’t Toulon or Toulouse for Mr Carter – sunny Leicester would welcome him with open arms. And hopefully he will qualify as domestic (for once having eaten a pork pie?).

More seriously you are quite right Finbar – before our fourth try Loffreda was definitely due to be sacked yesterday. A seventh place finish means no European Cup and that would have been the end of him. Can I also suggest you track down the ‘Leicester Mercury’ website and check the quotes from Richard Cockerill reported last Friday (he said them on Sky’s rugby club Thursday night). It’s now quite untenable for Cockerill and Loffreda to keep working together I think – and what Richard said about us having no chance if we did make the play offs is simply unforgivable I think. He betrayed his players there.

As for the game Loffreda owes his youngsters a debt – Crane, Johne Murphy, the kiwi Herring and most especially Tom Varndell. Varndell’s second brace in a row was a masterclass in finishing and the second try saved Argentian bacon for sure.

I got to see my recording of Glaws-Bath this morning. Immense defence from Glaws.

Mr Banahan, who is certainly a monster, and Mr Vainokolo could both learn a lot from watching Tom’s finishes yesterday though. Both had excellent chances but both tried to run through their men instead of beat them. Tom has leapfrogged both for England I think – a shame as the NZ tour could set him back the same way the Aussie one did two years ago!

Anyway we have play offs. Tigers really don’t deserve to be in them – but one has to back one’s side never the less. And we are probably the only side that can go to Kingsholm and win (as we did in the league). It’s unlikely though.

Bath and Glaws have great defences. Wasps score freely but also leak like a sieve this season. It will be an interesting day next Sunday for sure!

Comment

• Well, yes. Having overcome my amazement that a paper called the Leicester Mercury - what next? the Bognor Regis Chronicle? - actually had an online version, I can only agree that Cockerill opened his big mouth and chewed on his shoe. He obviously didn't expect the team to make the play-offs and was doing his damndest to knife the coach. But why the players too? What a goose. I think the coach will quietly ask for his departure. I liked some of the responses to the article - the forwards were one of the team's problems throughout the season, hence the forwards coach should go.

I think you were hungover. I don't particularly think the free kicks reward the offenders. A penalty doesn't guarantee that a team retains possession. Depending on the state of the game, field position, relative strengths, et al, scrums are often taken. There were 36 or 38 scrums in the Crusaders match the week before. Which is what p*sses me off about some of the crap passing for informed comment on the new laws in some of the, um, UK media. The argument that the laws are designed to remove the scrum from the game is utter garbage. Which isn't to say that all the proposed laws are good. Which is why they're not all being trialled in S14. I'd be staggered - and appalled - if the hands in the ruck and being allowed to pull down a maul laws ever see light of day.

If I ever get the “Are you going to do anything productive before [INSERT APPROPRIATE ACTIVITY] ... ?" question, my answer is a simple "No". That's how I got to watch rugby for 8 hours straight one day during the 6 Nations - two S14 matches in the morning, three 6 Nations matches in the afternoon and early evening. Yes, it takes some nerve - not to mention the facility to duck quickly if the possibility of a left hook or a thrown heavy object rears its ugly head - but it has always worked for me. Take a tip from someone with more experience than you in these matters.

Comment

Working...
                                X