No announcement yet.

Rugby - New Year, New Coaches, New Laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is he openside? We could do with another really good ball scrounger - but at blindside and number 8 there are plenty of decent options already.

Other than that a world class fly half, another decent loose head and a clue is all we really need now.

A very different side takes the filed at Bath tonight - it is a season defining game as losing makes the play offs unlikely.

*edit* A twenty year old winger called Ollie Dodge partners Varndell tonight. He is the son of a former Tiger (Paul Dodge). We might be stuttering on the pitch but the club is still quite healthy.
    Last edited by Havak; April 15, 2008, 03:28.
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• He's played everywhere in the back row, but he's essentially a blindside who has moved to #8. Not high on the list of priorities, I'd've thought.

Was Jordon Crane fit on the weekend? He looked awfully slow. Or maybe it was just the speed of the oppo.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Well that Kiwi number 8 for the taffs did have a strong game - but I don't think Jordan was at all up to speed either.

He is a better player than Saturday suggests.
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• No doubt Finbar is celebrating the Italian election results...
          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• The thing with politics here, Cal, is that they're largely irrelevant. Italians, en masse, treat politicians with contempt. Which isn't a bad attitude. They vote, they get on with life. It really doesn't matter who's in charge because nothing changes. Life goes on, regardless. Which is one of the many things I love about the place.

Havak, 23-0 at half time and they've flubbed at least three other tries. Ask for your subs back.
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I couldn't believe it when I saw the HT score just now - even Lee Mears has scored against us. Lee chuffing Mears!

Loffreda will certainly have to work hard to get my subs next season.

Comment

• Marginally better effort in the second half. Replacing some of the kiddies with the more experienced players helped. There's a very good reason why the stand-in fly half disappears from the Leicester radar from time to time - nice skills, but he's a defensive liability. The man cannot tackle.

Lee Mears and Matt Stevens were both outstanding around the paddock. Their mobility and handling - particularly in the first half - cut Leicester to pieces.

Someone also needs to point out some basics to the Leicester halves - if the first receiver is constantly taking the ball twenty yards behind the advantage line, the oppo defence is laughing its head off.

I will never understand why Tom Croft is ever out of that team. He's one of the hardest workers I've seen.

Bath also haven't solved their age-old problem - they cannot finish off an opponent.

Comment

• I would hope they are still protecting Croft - he is only 22 and we don't want him burned out.

For all his undoubted talent I think Loffreda has lost the players. There has been a marked difference in results since he took the helm - I'm not sure he is carrying the squad with him with what he is trying to do.

It would take a lot of courage to sack him this summer - but perhaps even more to keep him on. At the moment the only reason I would want him to stay is to bring Hernandez in - and that isn't really a good enough reason.

*edit* In better news Ashton should resign today after Jonno is officially appointed.

Comment

• It's probably good news for England - subject to his replacement - but it's been a very tawdry affair. They obviously wanted Ashton out but didn't have the bollocks to sack him. Create an intolerable situation for him instead. All of which makes Rob Andrew's position even more untenable - how few months ago was it that he recommended Ashton retain the job?

Comment

• Just four short months. Since he recommended that BA should stay "indefinitely".

Even more bizarre - because Mrs J is expecting the second half kiwi-half English Johnson child Rob Andrew will manage the Baa-baas game and NZ tour before Jonno takes the helm on 1st July.

I'm optimistic - I don't think he will tolerate nonsense from above or below. Lets hope I have good cause to be so this time.

*The preceding paragraph refers to lock jaws appointment and not Rob Andrew's coaching role!

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
                        The thing with politics here, Cal, is that they're largely irrelevant. Italians, en masse, treat politicians with contempt. Which isn't a bad attitude. They vote, they get on with life. It really doesn't matter who's in charge because nothing changes. Life goes on, regardless. Which is one of the many things I love about the place.
                        That's a healthy attitude, for sure.
                        ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                        ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Well Mr Berlusconi is a towering authority figure who commands considerable respect
                          when compared to the shambolic clown that is Gordon Brown.

Comment

• All Berlusconi will do in this term of office is what he did last time - work to change the laws to protect his business associates - and himself - from prosecution for fraud, corruption, et al. Berlo still has half a dozen ongoing prosecutions against him. All of which, now, of course, will bite the dust. Ultimately, it's a sign of the Italian population's contempt for politicians - they know they're all corrupt - that they re-elected him.

The people who need to be concerned about the result are the Eastern Europeans flooding into Italy thanks to the EU. There's a widespread feeling that they are responsible for most of Italy's crime - a theme that's emerging in the UK - and there's going to be some sort of crackdown. One of Berlo's coalition partners is the Lega Nord, based in the North of Italy, basically a reincarnation of Mussolini only more extreme, whose core belief is that immigration is at the heart of Italy's problems.

Brian Moore has dumped a big bucket on the RFU and Francis Bacon. I agree with a lot of what he says, though not with the statement that Ashton hadn't had time. The real problem is that, failing a tell-all book, we might never know the constraints under which Ashton was working.

Comment

• And Iam not sure we will ever see that - Brian is a very different personality to the likes of Dallaglio.

I'm no legal expert but there do possibly seem to be grounds for pursuing constructive dismissal. I still think it's the right move for England - at last a winner at club level (well, every level) is going to be at the helm.

Immigration and the financial crisis - the two factors that will acheive the impossible here and see "Call me Dave" Cameron win a landslide against hapless Gordo and his cronies.

Comment

• Why do Newcastle bother turning up anymore?

Comment

Working...
                                X