This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asher
    You seem to think the spots are locked except for Calgary and Nashville. I think that's a ridiculous assumption altogether.
    Really? Of the teams that made the playoffs in the West last year, which one do you think are likely not to make the playoffs this year, other than Nashville and Calgary.

The other six teams still look very strong.
    Golfing since 67

Comment

There is NO way any reasonable person could not put Kiprusoff in the same league as Brodeur, Hasek, and Luongo.

Look at the playoff stats:
      Hasek: 91.3%
      Brodeur: 91.6%
      Kiprusoff: 92.9%
      Luongo: 94.1%
      You do realize this is a REGULAR season hockey pool.
      Golfing since 67

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki
        Some of those, not others and a couple more you didn't mention.
        Good answer.
        Golfing since 67

Comment

• Originally posted by Tingkai
          Really? Of the teams that made the playoffs in the West last year, which one do you think are likely not to make the playoffs this year, other than Nashville and Calgary.

The other six teams still look very strong.
          Did you not read my post? I think it's stupid to try to predict this early.

I think Calgary has a better chance than Colorado to make the playoffs, for one. You need goaltending to play in clutch situations, Colorado doesn't have that nor the defense.

I think it's stupid to think 6 of the teams are a lock. But that's just me.

Your forecasting skills leave a lot to be desired. Didn't you predict Calgary would be in the bottom 8 last year? Even with the worst coach in the league, they weren't even close to the bottom 8.

The Leafs, on the other hand...
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You do realize this is a REGULAR season hockey pool.
            I thought we were talking about top goaltenders?

You're not fooling anyone, Tingkai. All 4 goaltenders are in the top echelon together. THAT is the point.

If we're talking about regular season, fine: Which of these 4 goaltenders won Vezinas since the lockout:
            Brodeur
            Kiprusoff
            Luongo
            Hasek
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

And you might not have seen that I was saying he's not a third rounder. He would have gone before then regardless of what your strategy was. All I'm saying.

Since 3 out of 12 participants in this draft have NOT already taken a goalie ( and two of those have not had their second pick yet), its not out to lunch to think Sakic could be available in the 3rd round.

Yahoo lists him 36th under o-rank and I have seen a couple of magazines that have him ranked somewhere between 14 and 20 just among skaters. Given the LARGE number of people taking goalies, 14th among skaters would be 3rd round.

BUt you are correct in that he is NOT a 3rd rounder in our draft-- He is a first rounder-- The reality though when there are so many goalie picks in a row . . . the difference in a first rounder and a third can be as little as 3-4 places in the skater rankings . . and those rankings are so subjective

Anyhow-- I'm done on this issue. I do think Sakic is a great player -- All I am saying is that

1. He could never made anything better than 3rd round for me since he was not in my top 12 skaters
              2. Given the large number of goalie selections, it would not be a big surprise that skaters ranked 13-18th among skaters go early in the 3rd round
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Did you not read my post? I think it's stupid to try to predict this early.
                Sounds to me like you're don't know enough about the other teams to make comments about them.
                Golfing since 67

Comment

Sounds to me like you're don't know enough about the other teams to make comments about them.
                  Yes, it's far more likely a Toronto Maple Leafs fan knows far more about western teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki
                    Man, there's some mighty tempting skaters out there, but I guess I need a goalie......

Thats how I felt -- I really wanted to snap up a skater but with 16 picks before it gets back to me, I feared that none would be left

IN your spot, the reality is that some of those tempting skaters will still be there
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Picking first overall is not something I'm overly fond of. Waiting SO long to get my second pick means I'm shafted out of a rather balanced team, since the good goalies are gone. :/

Comment

• I know Flames fans tend to know only about their team, but Leafs fans typically know about more than just their team. That's why I was able to explain to you last year that Yelle was a primary penalty killer for the Flames.

But since you think the Flames have more chance to make the playoffs than the Avs, which Western team that made the playoffs last year has less of a chance of making the playoffs.

Just idle curiosity.

Good night folks.
                        Golfing since 67

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369

I guess i'll go ahead and take the Hasek plunge... nobody expects me to win anyway right?
                          Well it is a huge risk/reward type of pick--

You never know whether he will win 40 games with a great save percentage or disappear after 3 games.

He could be a huge pick for you

Comment

I know Flames fans tend to know only about their team, but Leafs fans typically know about more than just their team. That's why I was able to explain to you last year that Yelle was a primary penalty killer for the Flames.

But since you think the Flames have more chance to make the playoffs than the Avs, which Western team that made the playoffs last year has less of a chance of making the playoffs.

Just idle curiosity.

Good night folks.
                            Nashville.

And it's actually the opposite -- it's the Leafs fans that don't know much about anything in the league. It's just like how they don't know much about anything outside Toronto.

But hell, what would I know? I've lived recently in both Calgary and Toronto and I'm a big hockey nut.

It's actually pretty amusing when I try to talk hockey with the guys at work. Even the most hockey-mad guy (who actually played for the St. Michael's Majors in his late teens -- I'm sure you know of them, Tingkai) didn't know who Marc Crawford was last year. If I mention anything non-Leafs related, he pretty much draws a blank. Except for names like Steve Montador, since he played with the guy.

People out here don't know jack about what goes on out west. Which is precisely why they spew nonsense like "Kiprusoff is a flash in the pan".
                            Last edited by Asher; September 17, 2007, 14:05.

Comment

They're genuinely inconsistent to the point of being random. He's the only person I know who doesn't have respect for Kiprusoff, and there's really no rhyme or reason for it.

Even after the spectacular 03-04 season and post-season, he called Kiprusoff a "flash in the pan". After the Vezina, he still wasn't deserving of the award...even now, he's called "Kippersoft" by Tingkai.

Can you explain this, other than calling it rather random?
                              a) I don't have enough understanding of hockey to make a judgement there
                              b) I also don't presume to have 100% perfect knowledge even in subjects I do know (say, NFL); therefore when someone disagrees with me, I disagree, but I don't presume there is no grounds for their argument.

I'm just saying that saying Tingkai's arguments (as a group) are random is not a positive argumentative technique. You're essentially saying that Tingkai's arguments don't make any sense to you, and they have no basis in the set you call 'fact'. Certainly there's nothing wrong with you saying that; and from what I see, I'd probably agree with you wholeheartedly, since I barely follow hockey anymore thanks to Wirtz, and even I have heard of Kip. Calling Tingkai 'random' though doesn't buy you anything, other than appearing to be personal rather than meaningfully argumentative. You'd come off as more 'right' and looking better if you just skipped the last part and just left it with the facts.

*Please don't take this as an indictment of you vs tingkai by the way, you're both being personal about equally. The "flames fans don't know anything about the rest of the league" and "leafs fans (same)" are equally silly statements and equally irrelevant to the debate here
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Tingkai doesn't make arguments, he makes sweeping generalized statements not supported by reality.

His opinions are random. I'm not sure anyone here agrees with him on anything hockey-related, and that's saying a lot. He probably has a Random Hockey Opinion Generator machine:

1) "Calgary sucks because ________ sucks"
                                2) "Toronto will win this year."
                                3) "_________ is a flash in the pan because Toronto doesn't have him."
                                4) "The East is better than the West! Look who won the stanley cup last!!"
                                5) "Cujo is better than Kiprusoff"
                                6) "Mats Sundin is a better captain than Iginla"
                                7) "Ponikarovsky is a better winger than Tanguay"

He's just very much anti-Calgary, is all. This stems from the jealousy argument I've made previously...

Comment

Working...
                                X