Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Football Thread XVII : Champions League Final and beyond..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel is a great player though, he was playing for a **** team.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH
      Angel is a great player though
      Then he should show it in any team, he just disappeared at times for Villa. Good but not great IMO.
      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
      CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
      One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

• There are of examples of great latin players who didn't suit the Premiership, Angel and Forlan are two.
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

• If either were great players it would've shown, irrespective of their club. Tevez has already shown more than those two, at a worse club than both too.
          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
          CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
          One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

• Beckham is an almost retired player, what can he do?

With the money he will get that team could hire a someone as good as Beckham, but young
            I need a foot massage

Comment

• Originally posted by Barnabas
              With the money he will get that team could hire a someone as good as Beckham, but young
              A young person that doesn't sell shirts. He's more of a PR stunt than a player. He's probably to good a player for the MLS. Pelé was 35 years old when he moved to the US to promote football, Beckham's 32.

Comment

• Claiming Forlan isn't a great player is a bit silly. The styles of some leagues lead to different players excelling. The Spanish and English leagues are two different beasts. Besides, Angel was pretty decent early on in his Villa career... then he was sidelined by injuries and whatnot (I remember that injury plagued season because I bought Angel for my fantasy squad for not a low price either!!).

I thought Angel would succeed. He racked up the goals early on. It seems they've closed him down a bit lately, but he's still been brilliant for the NY Red Bulls.

Beckham will most definately sell shirts. And sell tickets. And raise TV ratings. He is a MASSIVE name as well. There is a reason the designated player rule was deemed the "Beckham Rule" before LA even approached Real Madrid. It was basically designed to get someone like him into the MLS. And look at all the PR his signing has generated already!

Besides, the Galaxy are really only paying him $6.5 million a season, and then he gets like 40%-50% of his shirt sales (which are over 250,000 so far.. and I'm thinking of getting one) or something like that. I'm not sure you could find another player who could make that sort of impact.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Morientes anyone?

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    and then he gets like 40%-50% of his shirt sales (which are over 250,000 so far.. and I'm thinking of getting one ) or something like that.

Well, if It helps the sport, it would be allright I guess
                    I need a foot massage

Comment

• Yeah, basically .

I don't have an MLS team... I can at least support this experiment.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I couldn't care less about Beckham, but DC United probably will bank at least $800,000 extra this season because of him (assuming 20,000 extra tickets sold times $40 apiece). With a payroll of just over $2 million, this is nice additional revenue for the club.

I bet the hype only sustains itself to the end of this season, on the other hand. Beckham's no Pele. And the LA Galaxy suck really badly.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by Maquiladora
                          I hope he does well.

Angel who couldn't buy a goal in the EPL already has 9 goals in 8 games for New York, so I expect Beckham to score a few, and rack up plenty of assists. If he stays fit.
                          I agree with you that some of the differential is due to the difference in the quality of play, but I would argue it's mostly a matter of depth. The regular season means little for MLS, while it means everything for the EPL. MLS doesn't have the depth ($) to put a consistent product on the field throughout the season. Because of this, it doesn't surprise me that a good player out to start afresh would rack up a string of goals during the regular season based on effort.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• I don't understand what you're saying.
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• I see that with the addition of Chivas, the MLS is finally getting it right.

Football is about tribalism and ethnic hatred. I can't wait for the first US instances of Mexican vs. Whitey hooliganism. Then we will know that football is a success in the US.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                                shirt sales .... I'm thinking of getting one

I don't have an MLS team... I can at least support this experiment.
                                You've been Beckamed.

Comment

Working...
                                X