Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Lou has managed to think a biiit much of himself with this move. Yeah, it worked in 2000, but you had Larry Robinson to take over.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      I think Lou has managed to think a biiit much of himself with this move. Yeah, it worked in 2000, but you had Larry Robinson to take over.

Its just odd. Does he just think that as a matter of course it is best to fire the coach a week to 10 days before the playoffs start??

On performance it seems clear this team has performed.
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Well, I can even see it happening if there is an assistant that is proven to take over. But putting HIMSELF back behind the bench again? Not like his playoff record last year all that eye popping or anything.

What, is he board that he can't make deals anymore this season?

Some Devils fans are trying to put a good face on it (the ole "In Lou We Trust"), but I just can't see the good here.

Watch, now they win the Stanley Cup .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Harold Ballard as a GM.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Matthew Lombardi re-signed with the Flames...3 years at about $1.8M/year.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
              Matthew Lombardi re-signed with the Flames...3 years at about $1.8M/year.
              Good move-- A decent enough player-- He is frustrating in that he CAN move so very very fast yet his play is inconsistent.

It looks like David Moss may be on Lombardi's line tonight along with Primeau while Amonte stays up with Huselius and Langkow.

Since the other lines remain intact this will mean Byron Ritchie is in the reserves again

OH and apparently Phaneuf will be back tonight. Probably means that Zuyzen sits since Hale has been a regular since hestarted with the Flames although Zuyzen was pretty good his last couple of outings
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Oh and I'm at the game tonight in the cheap seats. I'll be the guy at the highest point of the highest bowl setting up the telescope

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki
                  I see McCabe was an impressive -5 tonight
                  He redeemed himself getting the vital OT winner to keep the Leafs playoff hopes alive.
                  Golfing since 67

Comment

What exactly is different of Vancouver this year compared to Calgary last year?
                    Everything.

Last year, the Flames played a completely defensive game, grinding away to limit shots, going turtle the minute they got a lead and limiting their own offense for the sake of defence. As you have said, Sutter would scream at d-men who dared to go on the offense. The turtle strategy was necessary. The Flames didn't have much offensive skill last year, just Iginla.

The Canucks use a much more free-wheeling balanced strategy that relies on Luongo to make the big saves while the team makes drives into the other end. The Canucks focus their battles more in the other end and rely on skill rather than just grit. The result is a much more exciting game.

The Flames have tried to use the same strategy this year, but without as much success. Kippersoft is proving that he ain't no Luongo when he has to face a lot of shots. As the SA have risen, so has his GAA.
                    Golfing since 67

Comment

• Originally posted by Tingkai

He redeemed himself getting the vital OT winner to keep the Leafs playoff hopes alive.
                      You mean after he gave away the puck leading to the tying goal in the first place?
                      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• Marty Brodeur .

Way to go to tie Parent's record! Now go and break it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tingkai
                          Everything.

Last year, the Flames played a completely defensive game, grinding away to limit shots, going turtle the minute they got a lead and limiting their own offense for the sake of defence.
                          Vancouver does this this season...check.

As you have said, Sutter would scream at d-men who dared to go on the offense.
                          Do yourself a favour and check out Vancouver's defensive scoring...Calgary had mroe last season.

The Flames have tried to use the same strategy this year, but without as much success. Kippersoft is proving that he ain't no Luongo when he has to face a lot of shots. As the SA have risen, so has his GAA.
                          You very, very clearly haven't watched a lot of games. The Canucks of this year are a slightly meeker Flames of last year. Luongo's stats reflect that.

Calgary, under playfair, is far less defensively minded which has hurt Kiprusoff's stats.

You're kidding yourself if you think the canucks this year are "free wheeling". They play the trap with a 1 goal lead, for christ sakes...

The main difference between the Flames of last year and Canucks of this year is the Canucks intentionally allow more shots on goal, because Luongo wants it that way. It inflates his stats because defensemen are told not to block shots and told to let the shots through, which amounts to more shots on goal and bumps up his save% to boot.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            Marty Brodeur .

Way to go to tie Parent's record! Now go and break it!
                            Meh, it's a meaningless record now. Not to knock Brodeur - he's been awesome this year.
                            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

The main difference between the Flames of last year and Canucks of this year is the Canucks intentionally allow more shots on goal, because Luongo wants it that way. It inflates his stats because defensemen are told not to block shots and told to let the shots through, which amounts to more shots on goal and bumps up his save% to boot.

Oh man, I don't even have to respond to that, except to say that you've never heard the old adage: D-men block the pass, goalies block the shots.
                              Golfing since 67

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki

You mean after he gave away the puck leading to the tying goal in the first place?

He didn't give it away. He knocked it out of the air and got a bad bounce. And give credit to him for taking responsibility for it. Either way, he still redeemed himself.
                                Golfing since 67

Comment

Working...
                                X