X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanS
    The fun never ends...
    The email is old news. Rumor has it that Mitch asked for a release in December and was denied. As long as Nutt is head coach, we have Dick at quarterback anyway. I wish Mitch Mustain luck whereever he goes, and still hold on to the last glimmer of hope that he'll remain at Arkansas, and Nutt will start him next year and he'll be the star we all hoped for.

This year was proof that through all the BS, we could still win ten games - imagine the unstoppable force if we could get rid of the bad elements and the distractions.

Personally I believe the whole situation has gotten out of hand, and it's the fault of all the involved parties - the coaches, parents, certain fans, in and out of state media. (UA has the instate media on a tight leash, and the out of state media butts in and talks out of their ass about business they know little/nothing about, and it shows.) The worst part is that in the end, if anyone gets screwed, it will be the kids. Best of luck to all of them, whatever happens, and may God help us get out of the hole we've gotten ourselves into.
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

• She's a mouthy hag, isn't she?
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• props for the digs on starkville.

What a hellhole that place is.

Comment

• Sioux ask university to return Chief Illiniwek regalia
          CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- The Oglala Sioux Tribe demanded Thursday that University of Illinois officials return the regalia worn by the school's Chief Illiniwek mascot, including the eagle feathers that were once part of the costume.

Whether the school still has those feathers -- considered sacred to American Indians -- wasn't clear Thursday.

The resolution was submitted to the university's board of trustees ahead of its Thursday meeting in Chicago. It called the use of Chief Illiniwek "a degrading racial stereotype."

Telephone messages seeking comment from the tribe's executive committee, which approved the resolution, were left Thursday at tribal offices on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota, where the tribe is based.

Tom Hardy, a spokesman for the board of trustees, said the board wouldn't yet respond to the resolution.

"We're going to have to review the resolution and its contents and take it from there," he said Thursday from the meeting.

The university bought the costume, including a headdress with eagle feathers, in 1982 from Sioux Chief Frank Fools Crow, whose wife made it.

The eagle feathers since have been replaced by turkey feathers.

According to the resolution, Fools Crow was long disappointed in the way the regalia was used to portray Chief Illiniwek. The document says that Mel Lone Hill, a descendant of Fools Crow, wants the regalia and feathers returned to his family. Messages left for Lone Hill at tribal offices were not immediately returned.

University officials weren't sure Thursday night whether the school still has the eagle feathers, Associate chancellor Robin Kaler said. School officials have called and e-mailed a former band director and former mascots to see if they recall what became of the feathers, she said.

John McKinn, assistant director of the Native American House on the Champaign-Urbana campus, said trustees should return the regalia and stop using the mascot.

"I would like to think that this resolution gives the institution a chance to do what is honorable," said McKinn, a Maricopa Indian.

The president of a group that believes the university should continue using the mascot said the Illini had no obligation to return the costume.

"This was not a gift from the Sioux to the University of Illinois, it was a purchase," said Howard Wakeland, president of the Honor the Chief Society. He recalled the price as $3,500.

The chief mascot has been a source of turmoil for years.

Many American Indians complain it demeans them, while supporters argue that it honors American Indian contributions to Illinois.

Earlier this month the university and campus police began investigating threats made late last year on a pro-mascot Web site toward an American Indian student.

In 2005, the NCAA decided that Illiniwek and his dance are "hostile and abusive" toward American Indians, and barred Illinois from hosting postseason events.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
          The Oglala Sioux Tribe demanded Thursday that the University of Illinois return the regalia worn by the school's Chief Illiniwek mascot, including the eagle feathers that were once part of the costume.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• Jeff Samardzija signed with the Cubs for a guaranteed $10 million for 5 years instead of going into the NFL draft.

Seems like a good decision to me, but he is one hell of a receiver, and would have been a first-rounder.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Smart move by Samardzija. Baseball players get paid more and last longer.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Only if they are as good in baseball as they are supposed to be in football. In other words, ask Drew Henson.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Lord Avalon

The Oglala Sioux Tribe demanded Thursday that the University of Illinois return the regalia worn by the school's Chief Illiniwek mascot, including the eagle feathers that were once part of the costume.

Were the Sioux even in Illinois? Savages.
                  Not as bad as the Comanche, but close. Right there with the filthy Apache.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Only if they are as good in baseball as they are supposed to be in football. In other words, ask Drew Henson.

Samardzija wasn't going to be that successful in the NFL. He's white...
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                      Smart move by Samardzija. Baseball players get paid more and last longer.
                      The only position in the NFL that seems to have some longevity is kicker.

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      Only if they are as good in baseball as they are supposed to be in football. In other words, ask Drew Henson.
                      As far as I can tell, the Cubs are paying him first round pick money, even though he fell to the later rounds due to the fact that he was playing football.

So basically he is a first rounder in both. You would have to compare the value of the different positions: Wide receiver versus pitcher.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• I thought this was funny.

Southern Arkansas University Claims National Title
                        SAU Over Florida By 222 Points
                        S. Arkansas defeated Ouachita
                        Ouachita defeated Harding
                        Harding defeated Henderson St.
                        Henderson St. defeated Delta St.
                        Delta St. defeated S.F. Austin
                        S.F. Austin defeated Texas St.
                        Texas St. defeated Sam Houston St.
                        Sam Houston St. defeated Missouri St.
                        Missouri St. defeated W. Illinois
                        W. Illinois defeated Northern Iowa
                        Northern Iowa defeated Youngstown St.
                        Youngstown St. defeated UC Davis
                        UC Davis defeated Montana St.
                        Montana St. defeated Colorado
                        Colorado defeated Texas Tech
                        Texas Tech defeated Oklahoma St.
                        Oklahoma St. defeated Alabama
                        Alabama defeated Vanderbilt
                        Vanderbilt defeated Georgia
                        Georgia defeated Auburn
                        Auburn defeated Florida
                        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

• I wonder what

a chain like that would look like for Boise St.?

Oh wait.. it would look like this:
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Gee... I think a new one would be called for.
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                            X