Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mountain West and WAC were really strong this year. The Pac 10 looks worse than it should because it had a couple of it's lower-ranked teams matched up against BYU and Hawaii. Wasn't even fair...
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
      Wisconsin's just as overrated as the rest of the Big Ten.
      I know that. You know that. Most of the Forum knows that. But now that the season is over, and Wisconsin went 12-1, NOBODY CAN PROVE IT!!!!!

Total BS that a team can win and still drop in the polls when several teams ahead of them lost.
      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• I know that. You know that. Most of the Forum knows that. But now that the season is over, and Wisconsin went 12-1, NOBODY CAN PROVE IT!!!!!

Touche...
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Corwin Brown?
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• TCU had a good year.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Good.

Boise State's Petersen wins Bryant Award

11 minutes ago

BOISE, Idaho - Boise State's Chris Petersen won the Paul "Bear" Bryant Award on Thursday night as the national coach of the year.

Petersen led Boise State to a 13-0 record and the No. 5 spot in the final AP poll in his first season as the team's head coach. The Broncos finished the season with a 43-42 overtime victory over Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.

Against Oklahoma, the Broncos used a hook-and-ladder to score the tying touchdown and won with a Statue of Liberty play on the 2-point conversion.

Petersen edged fellow finalists Bret Bielema of Wisconsin, Lloyd Carr of Michigan, Greg Schiano of Rutgers and Bob Stoops of Oklahoma in voting by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association.

"Chris Petersen possesses a strength and drive that motivates teams to win," NSSA president Mike Donoghue said. "Boise State has in Petersen what all universities want, a creative leader with dedication and heart, who lays it all on the line, every game. Like Coach Bryant, Petersen inspires his team to give 100 percent on and off the field."

Texas' Mack Brown won the award last year.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Grobe got screwed...
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Not really. Petersen's 1st year, his team goes undefeated, goes to a Bowl game, and picks off Oklahoma? If that's the worst screwing he gets in his life, he should feel fortunate.

Comment

• Schiano got screwed...
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Petersen's 1st year, his team goes undefeated, goes to a Bowl game, and picks off Oklahoma?

Petersen inherited a program that was already pretty well-developed. Dan Hawkins deserves as much credit as he does.

Grobe and Schiano, OTOH...
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Having players don't insure having a team.

Comment

• It certainly helps. So does a pre-existing culture of success.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Would Grobe or Schiano have had the huevos to make those same playcalls at the end of the Fiesta Bowl? I doubt it.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• If Schiano's boys had gone undefeated, he might have a case. But they didn't. When a BCS berth was on the line, they choked.

Wake and Grobe had a great year, but I have trouble thinking someone who didn't finish in the top 5 of the voting really got screwed.

It's not recruiter of the year, it's not program of the year. It's the Bear Bryant Award, for COACH of the year. Petersen did a magnificent job, especially when all the chips were pushed to the middle of the table. Kudos to him. The recognition is well deserved IMO.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Corwin Brown, a former player at Michigan, New England Patriots, et al., and the defensive backs coach at the New York Jets, will be hired as the new Notre Dame defensive coordinator.

He was being wooed by Weis since Weis took the ND head coaching job.

Thank God, I will no longer be seeing Air Force's receivers being made to look like All Americans by the ND defense.

Brown to step in as ND's defensive coordinator
                                Powlus expected to be named QB coach

January 12, 2007
                                BY VAUGHN McCLURE Staff Report
                                Julian graduate Corwin Brown, the defensive backs coach for the New York Jets, will replace Rick Minter as Notre Dame’s defensive coordinator. Quarterbacks coach Pete Vaas also has been let go and is expected to be replaced by former Irish QB Ron Powlus, the Sun-Times has learned.

Liberty University head coach Danny Rocco, who coached with Brown as assistants at Virginia, said he had several discussions with Brown about the position prior to Brown accepting the job.

‘‘When he mentioned Notre Dame, I told him that was one of those [jobs] too, too good to not do,’’ Rocco said Friday. ‘‘When he first told me about it, I thought it was just for any job on the staff. But when he said it was for defensive coordinator, I told him it was a no-brainer.

‘‘Corwin has worked so hard for such an opportunity, and he’s certainly ready for it. This is a great, great hire by coach Charlie Weis. This is a great day for Notre Dame.’’

Brown, 36, was not immediately available for comment. Jets assistant coaches are off-limits to the media.

Brown, a former co-captain and safety at Michigan, was Virginia’s special teams coach from 2001-03. He had been with Jets as the DB coach since ’04.

Brown played eight seasons in the NFL: four with New England, two with the New York Jets and two with Detroit. He played for the Patriots from 1993-96 – the same years Weis was an assistant coach with New England. Brown’s two seasons with New York also coincided with Weis’ stint as a Jets assistant.

Brown was an all-state defensive back at Julian and member of the Sun-Times’ all-1980s team.
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                                X