No announcement yet.

In Other News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCOTUS rules super spreader events can legally take place in NYC - Huge victory for the rights of COVID-19!
    In a 5-4 ruling, the US Supreme Court sided with religious organizations in a dispute over Covid-19 restrictions put in place by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo limiting the number of people attending religious services.
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Head of Iranian Nuclear Program assassinated with the help of a remote controlled machine gun. Sounds right out of the plot of a Mission Impossible movie.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• N35t0r
        N35t0r commented
        Editing a comment
        Parting gift from Trump, or internal power struggle?

• pchang
        pchang commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe Trump agreed to try and shield Israel from sanctions/diplomatic fall out as pay back for various Israeli peace deals. Once that was given, Israel did it on their own.

• Uncle Sparky
        Uncle Sparky commented
        Editing a comment
        Trump wanted to bomb Iran shortly after he lost the election as a revenge/distraction. The military said, No. Sir! He still would like a war big enough that he can refuse to relinquish power. The real Pentagon won't play.

• US airlines will no longer be required to transport emotional support animals after passengers insisted on bringing on board their horses, pigs, peacocks and turkeys for psychological reasons.

Wednesday's rule change by the US Department of Transportation now says only dogs qualify as service animals.

The agency said unusual animals on flights had "eroded the public trust in legitimate service animals".

(...)
      Only dogs can qualify as psychological service animals, says the US transportation department.

I guess that means no snakes on a plane anymore
      Blah

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
        Uncle Sparky commented
        Editing a comment
        It really helped my rancher cousins move their emotional support herd to market...

• This has been extremely abused.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Comment

• If he seriously thinks that steam is 'nothing original', he's welcome to drop it and use, say, Epic's storefront.
          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Steam, GOG, Epic, G2A, Origin, EA' s PC Games, Ocean of Games, Softpedia, Skidmore Reloaded... There are probably ly a dozen more. Going on a whine about capitalism because a company decided to get out of the game development business and instead become a platform developer is as dumb as it gets. Especially when there is so much available competition thanks to capitalism.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• pchang
              pchang commented
              Editing a comment
              He’s just cheesed he never got the last chapter of Half Life.

• Steam is evil. EVIL!
            GoG is vastly superior.
            I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
            Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
            Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Ppl who are gaming religiously use both GoG and MaGoG. /silly
              Blah

Comment

• Pub landlord renames ale in cheeky bid to get around new Covid restrictions

A pub landlord has jokingly renamed an ale 'Substantial Meal' in a cheeky bid to get around new Covid-19 restrictions.
                Brett Mendoza, 40, who owns the Caxton Arms in Brighton, East Sussex, came up with the idea while discussing what constitutes a substantial meal with another landlord after the latest measures were announced last week.
                An image of the spoof beer pump clip, which is from the 'made up brewery' and described as 'hearty, filling and flavoursome', was posted to social media last Wednesday, captioned: 'Bring on Tier 2'.
                It comes ahead of Brighton and Hove being placed under Tier 2 restrictions tomorrow, meaning diners in England are not allowed to linger or order more booze after their food is finished.
                Tier 2 pubs can only serve alcohol if bought with a 'substantial meal', leaving drink-led pubs weighing up whether it was even commercially viable to trade.
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• TBF, some english ales are more nourishing than a couple fast food menus...
                  Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Ale also can help with the growth of your boobs

Hops, one of four central beer ingredients, contains a phytoestrogen that enhances breast size. VinePair examines this phenomenon.
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Originally posted by BBC
                      Daca: Judge orders Trump to restore undocumented immigrants scheme

A US judge has ordered the Trump administration to fully reinstate a scheme that protects immigrants brought to the country illegally as children from being deported.

The administration had moved to close the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (Daca) programme to new applicants earlier this year.

But District Judge Nicholas Garaufis on Friday ruled against the restrictions.

He told the administration to announce the full resumption of Daca by Monday.

The Daca programme was introduced by former Democratic President Barack Obama in 2012.

He set it up to help some of the more than 10 million immigrants who as young people entered the US illegally or overstayed a visa.Most of the children protected by the Daca programme are from Mexico and other Latin American countries. These migrants are known as "Dreamers".

The scheme protected an estimated 700,000 people, offering temporary permits for work and study.

But as part of his efforts to curb immigration, US President Donald Trump sought to end the programme in 2017, calling it unconstitutional.

The Supreme Court took up the case after lower courts ruled the administration did not adequately explain why it was ending the programme, criticising the White House's "capricious" explanations.

In June this year, the Supreme Court upheld lower court rulings that found Mr Trump's move to rescind Daca was "unlawful".

Despite this ruling, the Acting Secretary of Homeland Security Chad Wolf issued a memo to limit the programme to those who were already enrolled.

Now Judge Garaufis of the US District Court in Brooklyn has ruled that Mr Wolf was not acting within his legal authority and that the scheme should resume.

The Center for American Progress, a think tank, said more than 300,000 new applicants could now be eligible for Daca.

"This is a really big day for Daca recipients and immigrant young people," Karen Tumlin, director of the Justice Action Center, told AFP news agency.

Democratic President-elect Joe Biden, who takes office on 20 January, has said he plans to revitalise Daca.

His campaign said he will try to legislate to give a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants living in the US, although such a move would need to be approved by Congress.
                      The Trump administration is told to resume a programme that protects immigrants from deportation.
                      I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                      Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                      Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Maybe this could be used in a James Bond movie

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• The Iranian nuke guy was apparently killed by Skynet

A satellite-controlled machine-gun with "artificial intelligence" was used to kill Iran's top nuclear scientist, a Revolutionary Guards commander says.

Mohsen Fakhrizadeh was shot dead in a convoy outside Tehran on 27 November.

Brig-Gen Ali Fadavi told local media that the weapon, mounted in a pick-up truck, was able to fire at Fakhrizadeh without hitting his wife beside him. The claim could not be verified.

Iran has blamed Israel and an exiled opposition group for the attack.

Israel has neither confirmed nor denied responsibility.

(...)
                          Iran says Mohsen Fakhrizadeh was shot by a satellite-controlled weapon with artificial intelligence.

Blah

Comment

Working...
                          X