Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was channel surfing and paused on a fox news show and there was a display in the background titled Obamagate details and it read TBD.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I read Fox is great with reopening the country but will continue work from home practice itself....
      Blah

Comment

• Yes, but even with the hypocrisy on full display, their base cannot see it.

Also, Trump now claims churches are an "essential business." If that is true, I demand they pay taxes.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• There is no profit or sales to be taxed, really. There is property taxes...

If you want to pull money from the churches (other than churches that own property but don't really have money, which is probably mostly the Catholic Church), the thing to do would be to remove the charitable deduction (Which is already very skewing and in favor fo the wealthy). But that doesn't really harm the church directly.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• pchang
            pchang commented
            Editing a comment
            The Catholic Church could probably raise a $1 billion from selling spare artworks in a yard sale.

• They have income, it exceeds their expenses. Profit.

Comment

• Amazon had net sales of $178bn in 2017 and $233bn in 2018, with net bottom line earnings of $3bn and $10bn. Their income tax/corporation tax bills in the US were negative - the Feds paid them $137m and $129m.

Trump got in a tizzy with the UK and France for daring to try and get the FANGS to pay some tax, any tax.

Good luck taxing religion. They're even more slippery when it comes to money.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• -Jrabbit
              -Jrabbit commented
              Editing a comment
              My point is, a house of worship is neither business nor essential.

• Dauphin
              Dauphin commented
              Editing a comment
              I would argue it is a business. It’s certainly not essential.

• -Jrabbit
              -Jrabbit commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, certainly the megachurches, parochial schools, and video ministries are businesses. But most churches are actually what they say on the tin: local houses of worship, well-meaning, charitably inclined, and supported marginally via parishioner donations.

• Originally posted by giblets View Post
            They have income, it exceeds their expenses. Profit.
            It most likely does not. At least not for any religion I know of. Most are in the red, and the question is just what they do not pay/do/etc.

If they were in the black, that wouldn't make it profit... because there are capital expenses/etc (at least, in for profit businesses).

The whole 'tax the churches' bit is pretty mixed up (other than property taxes).

JM
            (note this is very different than the charitable deduction, and there are complexities of property taxes which are important in some jurisdictions and for some churches, especially the Catholic Church)
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• BTW, probably something like 10-20% of churches in the US will close their doors due to a lack of income (because people give less if they aren't in church).

The only churches I know that are solidly in the black are the Mormons and some evangelicals (namely the big name TV ones, even big megachurches are often mortgaged to the hilt).

To significantly tax churches (outside of property taxes) just isn't reasonable, would require churches to be treated as special 'businesses' with a much higher relative tax rate and would drive most churches underground.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• Don't see a problem, if the churches can't compete in the marketplace with other forms of entertainment

Comment

• Dunno, but Trump's call for "more prayer" sums up his whole strategy to combat the virus quite well
                  Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by giblets View Post
                    Don't see a problem, if the churches can't compete in the marketplace with other forms of entertainment
                    Other forms of entertainment only pay taxes on profits or sales. Churches do not have the former and for the most part do not have the latter.

The call to tax churches/religion (other than property taxes) is effectively making them a special class that pays much more taxes than anything else. It is effectively a 'sin' tax on organized religion.

There is a reason it is an obvious no-go in the US.

JM
                    (property taxes are a thing though... )
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• Kayleigh McEnany - attractive yet annoying as hell. I wish she would stop using the podium as a live Twitter rant fest.

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2020/0...nspiracy-cult/

For a host of different reasons, core Republican voters have begun to reconstitute themselves as a conspiracy theory cult devoted to beliefs that were once relegated to the farthest fringe–fictions that cannot help but end in civil conflict and violence if they fully become canon among conservative voters nationwide.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	DVuVIexU0AA55Cg?format=jpg&name=large.jpg Views:	1 Size:	215.5 KB ID:	9390973
                      Last edited by Ted Striker; May 26, 2020, 21:10.
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Commander’n’Twit is pushing full irony mode, attacking Twitter for alleged free speech violations (does he think Twitter is a government agency?) whilst also threatening to shut it down. All on Twitter itself.

What’s the play here? Petulance? Or is picking a fight with Twitter part of a campaign strategy?
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• I agree with Mobius's last poast.
                          Order of the Fly
                          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                            Commander’n’Twit is pushing full irony mode, attacking Twitter for alleged free speech violations (does he think Twitter is a government agency?) whilst also threatening to shut it down. All on Twitter itself.

What’s the play here? Petulance? Or is picking a fight with Twitter part of a campaign strategy?
                            Twitter is exempt from liability laws to promote free speech

The Democrats have been trying to coerce such platforms into censoring speech they dont like

"Dont hide behind the 1st Amendment" - Don Lemon of CNN advocating for censorship

Comment

• dannubis
                              dannubis commented
                              Editing a comment
                              They are fact checking him. Not deleting his comments. How are they curtailing his freedom of speech? If trump (and you) dont like being corrected, THEN DONT LIE.

• Berzerker
                              Berzerker commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I see, so the people who brought us 3 years of Russia Gate will decide the facts. I thought the Dems were calling for censorship, will they fact check everyone or just Trump? Like Schiff and Pelosi?

I wonder what these fact checkers were doing during Russia Gate. I see Google hired Patricia Karlan to their content board. She gave us the line during impeachment about Trump naming his son Barron doesn't make him a Baron.
                          Working...
                          X