No announcement yet.

How to get Civ2 working in Windows 10.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get Civ2 working in Windows 10.

There are a few new problems that have cropped up that weren't present in Windows 7 that anyone who wants to play civ2 has to do to get the program. First off you need the patched version that allows you to enter in city names.

Hi guys, I released a new version of my patcher. I added some improvements, mostly for users that needed to patch the process in-memory. -- Changes -- - Removed the "Patch Process" button - Changed the exe file icon. - Added a "Donate" button. About the changes -- Patch Process...

This is mastermind's Civ 2 patcher for 65 bit OSes. Worked fine with windows 7, but you'll still need it to get Civ 2 working in windows 10.

After you've patched your version, you'll get a Civ2 without wonder videos or heralds.

The issue here is a documented change in Windows 10 to depreciate the indeo video drivers. I had a file up here with the drivers for those lacking them, but that file with the indeo drivers, can be found here:

Free & Fast Downloads for Ligos Indeo Codec 5.11: download the latest versions of Ligos Indeo Codec

These are the correct Indeo Codecs.

However, once you're done installing the Indeo drivers, you're not yet done. You're going to have to re-enable them as Windows 10 actually depreciates them entirely.

To do so, follow the instructions in this forum thread here:

I came across my old copy of Civ2, the one that doesn't require the cd to play and had a frustrating time trying to get it to run on my XP Pro, when I used to play it all the time. I'd done a fresh install and got the error message about getting the last version of the Indeo Codecs, which I...

And follow Foxahead's post.

And there you go. All the wonder videos and CIv2 the way it was meant to be played.

Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

All that tech stuff confuses me so i go buy an old second hand computer, with an obsolete version of Windows, to play old games.

The second hand computer costs me about A$80 Australian.

Comment

It's not hard. Just follow the steps. There just one game I haven't been able to get to work on my newer computer and that's KOTOR due to the graphics issue. I've considered doing that or making a partition with win 7 on my win 10 machine so that I can play everything. How are you doing braindead?
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

An XP Partition would be ideal, then you can play Dungeon Keeper.
        I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
        Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
        Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

It's weird that they haven't re-released it for download through something like Steam.

Comment

Have you tried dos box?
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
              It's weird that they haven't re-released it for download through something like Steam.
              GoG has it, actually they may have fixed the psychedelic colours that i got trying to run it on any OS newer than XP......
              Being the Dungeon Keeper and all, this is your home, too. And it’s your business to take
              I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!

Comment

Should have really managed to produce a Civ 3 in all those yrs. Lazy bastards
                Blah

Comment

Yeah, something like Civ2 but better

Comment

Test of Time Patch Project is good.
                    More units, more terrains, more events....
                    Sorry to clog the forums but I think Garfield and I each need a place to put our own notes and also to discuss the game with any of you who are interested in having a conversation. Turn 1 overview:

Comment

I still say dos box.

Comment

Tried Civ 3. Epic fail. Love Civ II.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

We should make a wishlist of things we want to see in Civ3!!
                          "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                          "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Did that at the time. They ignored me.

Comment

Civ IV BTS is a superb upgrade from the awesome Civ II -- IMHO. And IV is on Steam.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                              X