Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What car did you learn to drive stick on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first car, a 1962 Chevy Nova.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• -Jrabbit
      -Jrabbit commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a really nice Alamo avatar, Sloww.

I don' drive, the only things i've ever driven were a flat-bed pickup and a tow motor.....and the flat bed i only drove from the parking lot into my old work's bay with about 1 inch of between the mirrors and the sides of the door.
    I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
      With the Car that was provided by the driving school (in germany you don't learn driving from some relative, but rather take driving lessons by certified driving teachers at a driving school)
      in order to get the shine of the Führer lol

Comment

Thanks, Jr.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
          My first car, a 1962 Chevy Nova.
          back when you were in you 30's, right Slowwy?
          Order of the Fly
          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Chevy doesn't go
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

-That's a pun on them trying to sell Novas in South America w/o bothering to change the name, right? I bet most of the guys never heard of that, but most surely know enough Spanish to recognize what 'no va' means...
              AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
              JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

I've heard that story so many times I've looped around to believing it has to be a myth.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

The Nova/Caribe name thing might be a myth.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

While "No va" is true, I am pretty sure the real reason the car did not sell well is because it was a piece of crap.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I've never been to Latin America, have only Sesame Street Spanish, and have taken the story on faith. [shrugs]
                      AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
                      JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Some people might have joked about the name, but I doubt it's the reason it didn't sell.

Comment

I can't vouch for the rest of Latin America, but the Nova versions manufactured and sold here were named Chevrolet Chevy (and followed the Chevrolet 400, which was what the Chevy II was called here). It was indeed named differently, but it was so from the beginning of the production run. The name 'change' was probably a combination of factors, but the bad marketing related to naming a car '(it) doesn't go' surely was one of them.
                          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                            -Jrabbit commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Absolutely true.

I wish we still lived in a day when they named cars after space stuff. But I guess with Musk's new vehicle we'll hopefully see more marketing along those lines. Space sells.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

As for me, a little ford mercury. Learned stick wish I still had mine.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                            X