No announcement yet.

Rejected from B-School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One can have success without marriage and children. They just make it a bit easier, but they're not a guarantee or a necessity.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I think that Elok, like I, include marriage and children as part of success. I don't think that Lorizael considers them to be requirements for success, though. Interestingly (perhaps), I didn't really consider them requirements until like 2005 or something.

I didn't mention them though because I think that Elok managed to convince Shelok to marry him without having a career, and it happened before what I consider Apolyton's `recent' slow death.

Although from my own experience, having a stable career becomes a lot more important if you have children (which is why I included it for Elok).

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

[shrugs] Love, kids, and his novel The Curse of Life, on sale now, is genuinely very good - and I promise that when he comes back in here blushing after Eastern Lent, he'll grant that writing and job success is nothing next to having Shelok and their clever little boyloks, as long as they are provided for.

I have some things to be proud of in my quiver, but he has love and hasn't failed evolution - I'm sullenly and bitterly jealous.
        AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
        JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Potential workarounds:
          1) Love - rent by the hour
          2) Evolution - donate to a sperm bank
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

1) I'm cheap and that isn't love.
            2) I guess, but not knowing my kids wouldn't tend to scratch that itch, emotionally - and I'd frankly have to conceal some things from the bank - least of which is how much older I am than I look, which is great and a plus, but 53's a hit on sperm-quality, I think, when they can get it from young guys w/o flat feet, diabetes and a non-trivial mood disorder...

Thanks for trying to help, though, p - decent of you, sir.
            Last edited by Buster Crabbe's Uncle; March 15, 2018, 20:21.

No pasarán

Comment

I think perhaps you are being a bit narrow in your definitions. There are many forms of Love and I think there are very few people who truly do no not have Love in their lives. As for finding a "Soul Mate", perhaps you need to be more open minded. Sometimes, we overlook things that are right in front of us. In the meantime, perhaps a nice cuddly pet will help you on your journey. With regards to evolution, many scientists measure success through the propagation of one's genes. While one passes on the most of one's genes through direct offspring (1/2), one also passes a significant number of genes by promoting the well being of nieces and nephews (1/4). So, perhaps you should be measuring yourself using the overall success of your extended clan.
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

If ONLY I had a user handle that gave away that I'd worked that last out a very long time ago...

The last two girlfriends -and we're getting up towards 20 years ago, alas- sorta taught me that my failure to chase ladies and try in my school days had deprived me of essential formative experiences adjusting to a lady-love's bulls**t, though I'd worked out that I was good enough and stepped up my chasing game a little and stopped making the categorical error of treating every contact like an audition for The One. It was too late, already, at around 30; I get sick of having someone kick over my stuff in my carefully-arranged life way too fast. Lonely as I am, it isn't worth it for long, at least no one I've been involved with so far .

No pasarán

Comment

For what it is worth I also didn't date as a young man, and viewed dating more as a mutual interview process rather than an opportunity to have fun (so I am not even sure if you should count my handful of dates in my late 20s as dates). I didn't kiss a girl that I wanted to until my second date with my now wife soon after I turned 29. I decided to allow myself to fall in love, and I did, and that pushed past the barriers. Although my wife still says that I mostly don't know how to be romantic/etc (And also says that I should give no romantic advice to anyone).

JM
                  (note that I do not hold my relationship up as an ideal)
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

And kids are much much much more life changing than a spouse. But worth it.

My supervisor at Jefferson Laboratory was a grouchy man (mid? 40s). He became much nicer when he married. (9 years ago). He just had a daughter (his wife was a bit younger).

JM
                    (Not saying you are grouchy, but it is probably possible for someone who is reasonably successful and in reasonably good shape to start a family even in his 50s.)
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I'm grouchy at best sir.

-And those last two mentioned above were after I'd sworn off searching for the One, and, actually, the chasing, too - it MARKEDLY improved my love life (and oh God, definitely my mental health) in volume as well as quality, oddly enough.

But I came home from the road, Mom had to have help with Daddy, and Gramma next door, both gone stupid, and I was sick of the bullcrap of showbidness and actually glad to have a purpose in life until they died two months apart. By then, I was socked in as a hermit again, and Momma had never lived alone in her life. She's a crazy-young 77, but still needs me. And the One ain't gonna come to my house and find me, and that sucks, but nice as it would be to find Her, to be for once with someone who loved me back - ehh. A quiet life suits me, and the overhead for finding and keeping Her is just too high.

No pasarán

Comment

Well this thread took a decidedly different turn.

Anyway, two schools have released decisions so far. I was admitted to the University of Chicago Booth School of Business and waitlisted to Duke Fuqua.
                        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Schooling comes first, but if there's no one in your life, please don't forget what excellent hunting grounds you're in wherever you end up going, and do set aside a reasonable amount of time devoted to chasing girls. I'm serious.

No pasarán

Comment

I believe Alby is engaged or married. As I said, I think he takes the Apolyton Crown.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Mr. Speer, I implore you to cherish what is good in your life and develop amnesia about what excellent hunting grounds you're in wherever you end up going, and do set aside a reasonable amount of time devoted to going home and kissing your wife before you do homework, and after. I'm serious.

No pasarán

Comment

I thought he just had a girlfriend

Comment

Working...
                                X