English native speakers, please check this very short English text for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English native speakers, please check this very short English text for me

The article summarises the information about Jews contained in the chronicle of Yahya al-Antaki, a 11-th century melkite historian from Antioch. The chronicle mentions Jewish presence in Aleppo, Ascalon, Jerusalem and the capital of Egypt. It describes the participation of Jews in the attacks on Christians in Ascalon and Jerusalem and confirms Jewish presence in gathered ad hoc army of Mansur Ibn Lu’lu’ and, above all, it describes the persecution of Jews by the Fatimid caliph Al-Hakim.
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

PLEASE
    Middle East!

Comment

A friend (but not an English native) suggested 11th instead of 11-th and levied instead of gathered
      Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson View Post
        The article summarises the information about Jews contained in the chronicle of Yahya al-Antaki, a 11-th century melkite historian from Antioch. The chronicle mentions Jewish presence in Aleppo, Ascalon, Jerusalem and the capital of Egypt. It describes the participation of Jews in the attacks on Christians in Ascalon and Jerusalem and confirms Jewish presence in gathered ad hoc army of Mansur Ibn Lu’lu’ and, above all, it describes the persecution of Jews by the Fatimid caliph Al-Hakim.
        Jrabbit version:
        The article summarizes the information about Jews contained in the chronicle of Yahya al-Antaki, a 11th-century Melkite historian from Antioch. The chronicle mentions Jewish presence in Aleppo, Ascalon, Jerusalem, and the capital of Egypt. It describes the participation of Jews in the attacks on Christians in Ascalon and Jerusalem, and confirms Jewish presence in gathered ad hoc army of Mansur Ibn Lu’lu’ and, above all, it describes the persecution of Jews by the Fatimid caliph Al-Hakim.

Notes:
        -The 'z' in 'summarizes is American English. S is correct in the UK.
        -Melkite is a proper noun.
        -Comma after (first) Jerusalem an is Oxford comma, the preferred comma of all right-thinking people.
        -Comma after (second) Jerusalem is for clarity in a compound sentence.
        -I don't know what you mean by "...in gathered ad hoc army..." - and 'levied' does not clarify matters. If you're just trying to say there were Jews among the ad hoc army, just delete the word 'gathered' and replace it with 'the.'

Hope that helps.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Thank you very much
          Middle East!

Comment

some slight amendments to the Jrabbit version:

'The article summarizes the information about Jews contained in the chronicle of Yahya al-Antaki, an 11th-century Melkite historian from Antioch. The chronicle mentions Jewish presence in Aleppo, Ascalon, Jerusalem, and the capital of Egypt. It describes the participation of Jews in the attacks on Christians in Ascalon and Jerusalem, confirms Jewish presence in the army quickly raised by Mansur Ibn Lu’lu’ and, above all, details the persecution of Jews by the Fatimid caliph Al-Hakim.'

'an 11th-century' since eleventh starts with an e.
            i removed the first 'and' from the third sentence as unnecessary in a list. the same goes for the second 'it'.
            the idea is that the army was quickly raised, so that's what i've put. another option would be "confirms Jewish presence in the scratch force raised by Mansur Ibn Lu’lu’", but this may be a little too informal for your purposes.
            i also swapped the second 'describes' in that sentence for 'details', simply for variety.

note: 'ize' is fine in british english, though 'ise' is more common these days.
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• -Jrabbit
              -Jrabbit commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm -Jrabbit and I approve this message.

should be conscripted. As in Jewish conscripts for the Army of Mansur Ibn LuLu.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

'This article summarizes the chronicle of Yahya al-Antaki, an 11th-century Melkite historian from Antioch. Yahya's chronicle is historically significant as he is an eyewitness of four different historical facts. First, Yahya confirms an 11th century Jewish presence in Aleppo, Ascalon, Jerusalem, and Cairo. Secondly, he reports on the participation of Jews in the attacks on Christians in Ascalon and Jerusalem. Thirdly, he establishes a Jewish presence in the army conscripted by Mansur Ibn Lu’lu. Finally, he describes the persecution of Jews by the Fatimid caliph Al-Hakim.'
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Thank you all.
                I have another text I'd like you to check please:
                The article mentions various accounts of Byzantine emperor’s Roman III Argyros’ expedition against the Syrian town of Aleppo. The sources for the article are Yaḥyà ăl-Anṭākī, Skylitzes, Ibn al-ʿAdīm, Al-Maqrīzī, Psellos and Matthew of Edessa. In the article it is argued that it’s the accounts of Al-Anṭākī and Skylitzes as well as the second account of Ibn al-ʿAdīm that are to be trusted. Moreover, the article points out that according to a mention of Al-Anṭākī, Aleppo wasn’t the sole goal of the aborted campaign of Roman III Argyros and that he probably ment to go as far south as Palestine.
                Middle East!

Comment

That's actually pretty good. Stronger action verbs and you'd be good to go.

Byzantine Emperor Romanos III Argyros’ expedition into the Levant occurred (insert date here). Currently, there are seven extant primary sources of Romanos III's campaign. Four are Arabic and three are Greek. The four Arabic accounts include two by Ibn al-Adim, one from Al Magrizi, and one from Al Anaki. The three Greek accounts include Skylitzes, Psellos and Matthew of Edessa. This article argues that three of the seven are trustworthy: the accounts of Al Anaki, Skylitzes and the second account of Ibn al-Adim. Contrary to scholarly consensus, this article suggests that Aleppo was not the ultimate goal of Romanos III. Rather, it is suspected that Aleppo was merely the first stop of a more lengthy aborted campaign seeking Jerusalem.

Comment

Thank you Ben, you're the greatest.
                    Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                    X