On [hooey]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On [hooey]

I wrote hooey there because I figured that, even in our current era of lax moderation, swearing in the title is frowned upon. It really means "bull****."

When I was in elementary school, I routinely got terrible grades, even in subjects I was good at. Partly this was ADD, partly it was a motivation problem. You could say I did badly at subjects because I was good at them; I got a D in reading one year because I did almost none of the work. The teacher asked me why, and I was unconcerned. As I explained to her, the point of classes was to teach me stuff. I already knew how to read very well--the tests said I was at a high school level. So the classes (or something else) had succeeded. The grade was irrelevant, as were my frankly boring assignments. Repeat for other subjects. This drove my teacher crazy, but she couldn't budge me. I honestly forgot about it until twenty-plus years later, when we reconnected on Facebook and she told me.

Anyway, that same basic attitude has stayed with me, to some extent, my whole life. I just don't deal well with when things are bull****. And there's a lot of bull**** in the world. I see it everywhere. In school, at work, wherever I went, I could see how things were plainly not working correctly, and I could see where the problem was coming from, and so did everyone else, but nobody did anything about it because it would be too much work and everybody was accustomed to working with a broken system. My response to this, instinctively, is to throw up my hands, yell, "THIS IS BULL****!" and refuse to cooperate (to the extent I can get away with refusing to cooperate). Now, over the years, I've learned to restrain this urge, since it's self-indulgent and counterproductive. I've met plenty of people who can also see the bull****, and are also frustrated by it, but are able to master their frustration enough to counteract the ****tiness of the system in their own small way. I'd like to be one of those people, but I suspect my innate tendency will stay with me for life in the form of a penchant for cynicism, pessimism, and long meditations on Original Sin.

Of course, while my way of dealing with it is counterproductive, most real change is accomplished by people who see the bull**** and charge in to fix it regardless of the cost. Most of the time, these people fail, but if enough of them throw themselves on any given fire they will eventually put it out. Or they can organize mass movements where everybody piles on the problem at once, but that's just not a plausible strategy for aspies. The rest of the time, the problem is there, and everybody sees it, but since it would take heroic effort to fix it and being a hero hurts, everyone makes the game-theory calculation that their optimal move is to just deal with it. Which is how you get Harvey Weinstein. Sure, your boss is a rapist, and everybody knows it, but what are you going to do? He owns the papers and has many scary lawyers. And it took you so long just to work your way far enough up the hierarchy that you get the privilege of meeting your boss and watching him set up his rape meetings. Are you going to throw that all away for some quixotic effort to show yourself you did the right thing and got whomped for it? Of course not. But you will mumble, into your fourth drink of the evening, that this is bull****.

This post had a point when I started it. Anyway, how do you deal with all this bull****?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

I'm planting trees. I only need to plant 5 billion hectares and I can fix most of the bull**** in the world. If I fall short, I have a lot of trees at least. And they're nice to look at. The fruits/leaves/nuts/seeds/flowers are delicious. And in a few years I can start building stuff out of some of them. Not that I need to build anything as we're mostly finished with the house, but it's nice to have options.

I go to immigration every other month, and the bank a bit more often. Then there are taxes once a year, the penalty for not filing quarterly is more than worth it. I'll be getting a 13a visa soon, which cuts out most of the immigration bull****. I'm hopeful I can be entirely living off local cash flow in the next 2 years, then the banking bull**** can be largely avoided. Taxes I'm stuck with, but it's once a year bull**** hopefully. Then I'm left with only having to deal with the bull**** I want to deal with. Like arguing online.

In any case, I'm sitting on my balcony as it lightly rains, watching the birds play in the trees, while the clouds roll by. Net is inside giggling at her Korean Drama. My belly is full of fresh papaya, eggplant, and various seasoning and spices from the garden. And I've got a lot of seeds ...

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
      And there's a lot of bull**** in the world. I see it everywhere. In school, at work, wherever I went, I could see how things were plainly not working correctly, and I could see where the problem was coming from, and so did everyone else, but nobody did anything about it because it would be too much work and everybody was accustomed to working with a broken system.
      This is an attitude I've very consciously tried to train myself out of over the years. For me, it seems like it stems in large part from my own frustration and arrogance rather than any actual defect in the world. I've come around to the idea that change is hard and it's much easier to imagine a solution than implement one. I might just make things worse by upending the whole system when my arrogance causes me to miss minor, critical feature X that keeps the whole thing going.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

But there is, unquestionably, bull****. Yes, change is hard, and yes, things can always get worse, but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of things are simply ludicrous. Small example: at my hospital, there's a system to ensure that a nurse can't take out a med for a patient without charging him (or her, or whatever) for it. There's no system to ensure that meds which wind up unused are credited back to the patient. You wind up with what I call the "fraud wad," a giant pile of unattributed meds that wind up in the bottom of every med room's "back to pharmacy" box every morning. There's no way to find out which patient they were taken out for. Those patients will continue to be billed for medicine they never received. It could be fixed by requiring nurses to credit back, but that would increase the already enormous demands on nurses' time and the institution has no financial incentive to see that patients are not charged too much. It would also cost money to implement the new system, and entail bugs, and already-scarce nurses would quit, and there'd be new forms of fraud, and and and. So, yes, I can see why it doesn't get fixed. But it's still manifestly fraudulent. The healthcare system is shot through with these little, shall we say, inefficiencies that nobody in charge has any real reason to solve, and it adds up to our healthcare costing more and working worse than everyone else's.

There's always going to be a tradeoff between the risks of impractical idealism and the risks of complete apathy in the face of evil and corruption. Where do you strike the balance between "well, you can't fix everything" and "well, when you weigh all the dead little kids against all the good we're doing here, we basically come out comfortably ahead, on balance, for the most part"?
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
          I'm planting trees. I only need to plant 5 billion hectares and I can fix most of the bull**** in the world. If I fall short, I have a lot of trees at least. And they're nice to look at. The fruits/leaves/nuts/seeds/flowers are delicious. And in a few years I can start building stuff out of some of them. Not that I need to build anything as we're mostly finished with the house, but it's nice to have options.

I go to immigration every other month, and the bank a bit more often. Then there are taxes once a year, the penalty for not filing quarterly is more than worth it. I'll be getting a 13a visa soon, which cuts out most of the immigration bull****. I'm hopeful I can be entirely living off local cash flow in the next 2 years, then the banking bull**** can be largely avoided. Taxes I'm stuck with, but it's once a year bull**** hopefully. Then I'm left with only having to deal with the bull**** I want to deal with. Like arguing online.

In any case, I'm sitting on my balcony as it lightly rains, watching the birds play in the trees, while the clouds roll by. Net is inside giggling at her Korean Drama. My belly is full of fresh papaya, eggplant, and various seasoning and spices from the garden. And I've got a lot of seeds ...
          If you want trees you can build stuff with you should plant osage orange trees also known as the hedge row apple. The fruit is useless but they make excellent hedge row trees, the wood is both strong yet bendable (native Americans made their bows out of them), the wood practically never rots even after decades of use as fence posts, it is a dense hard wood perfect for building structures, and as firewood it vurns hotter than any other native wood found in north America.

It also grows in every single state in the lower 48 and does well in both Hawaii and Puerto Rico. During the depression the WPA planted hundreds of millions of them because they grow fast and straight so they make excellent wind breaks or privacy hedges. I figure any farm needs them as hedges if nothing else.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Aeson
            Aeson commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, looks like an interesting tree, will plant some.

I don't have a good answer. As I get older little things are bothering me more. As an example, every day I drive through an intersection where a number of years ago they put up signs that say "High Collision Location Strictly enforced". They put these signs up in the x number of intersections with the most accidents. But I am sure these signs do nothing, the wording is so bad as to be beyond meaningless, and that whole thing probably cost more than you'd think it should. But what can anybody do? Agitating for less stupidity is a lot of work, and not likely to be successful. I just try to eliminate these kinds of bonehead decisions in any work that I am responsible for.
          Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Nice post Elok, I've had similar experiences and have reacted similarly, and have essentially gone down the same path as Lori.

For me, it's a combination of the serenity prayer and learning to pick your battles, along with ever dwindling energy/passion. I now know what the oldies meant when they said "Leave the protesting to the young".

If you can get a critical mass helping you, or you helping them, that's different. But even then, you often run into the problem that there are several competing ideas about what to replace the problematic system with.

Incrementalism and focusing on the immediate is where I'm sitting at the moment.

Comment

Re OP, I'd make a laaaarge difference between stuff I just find silly or stupid, and stuff that has to be confronted (like that Weinstein thing).

In real life I find it often easier to stand up for others than for something that is just about me, because I never liked it when ppl complain about everything, and so never wanted to do it myself.

(As said I don't mean stuff like Weinstein, cuz ppl certainly should complain about this, rather something I take as "whining")

However (1), the "don't complain" mantra might have caused me to say nothing on some occasions when I maybe should have done it (or done it earlier). Or something

However (2), if it's about standing up for/helping other ppl then the "don't complain" mantra is deactivated, since it's not about me.

For example I remember an episode in school, someone did a presentation, and the teacher had its head down, writing something all the time. Once the presentation was over he started to judge it, but obviously had missed a lot, so accused the guy of leaving out important bits. Most of the class looked just like "what the hell is he babbling, the presenter just told us all of that", all silent. I had fun to throw it in teacher's face that he should have listened

Blah

Comment

Anyway, how do you deal with all this bull****?
                Great post. Couldn't agree more. I've ran into this attitude many, many times and it's always the same people that do it. People that don't have importance in what they do so they work to prevent others from doing what they want to do in order to instill meaning in their own lives. I've always felt that it's easy to close a door on a student. It's the easiest thing of all. The hard thing is to open a door. All it takes sometimes is cutting through the bull**** to get something actually done.

As for myself, not sure. There's value in just putting your head down and smashing through the bull****. The better approach would be to adapt to the bull**** but the reason there tends to be bull**** is again, this is the bottleneck. They know this and that's why they are doing what they do where they do.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post

If you want trees you can build stuff with you should plant osage orange trees also known as the hedge row apple. The fruit is useless but they make excellent hedge row trees, the wood is both strong yet bendable (native Americans made their bows out of them), the wood practically never rots even after decades of use as fence posts, it is a dense hard wood perfect for building structures, and as firewood it vurns hotter than any other native wood found in north America.

It also grows in every single state in the lower 48 and does well in both Hawaii and Puerto Rico. During the depression the WPA planted hundreds of millions of them because they grow fast and straight so they make excellent wind breaks or privacy hedges. I figure any farm needs them as hedges if nothing else.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maclura_pomifera
                  Here's another article, this one from Mother Earth News:

The Osage orange hedge row tree, once a favorite of American settlers, deserves a look from modern-day homesteaders looking for fencing options.

I have a couple old ones on the back of my property; they do a good job of keeping the cows out.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I have heard of it before but have never seen one.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

There are many admirable trees.
                      In Texas, I like Crepe Myrtle, Red Bud, Dogwood and Oaks, particularly Live Oaks and Shumard.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post

Here's another article, this one from Mother Earth News:

https://www.motherearthnews.com/orga...ree-zmaz85zsie

I have a couple old ones on the back of my property; they do a good job of keeping the cows out.
                        By the Old Ones, you had this thread in the back of your mind long enough to remember to necro it?

I admire you sir.
                        Order of the Fly
                        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

There are many admirable trees.
                          In Texas, I like Crepe Myrtle, Red Bud, Dogwood and Oaks, particularly Live Oaks and Shumard.

Comment

I'm pretty excited about a Chinese Scholar tree I planted a couple of years ago in the middle of our front lawn.

I'm also considering a couple of Crepe Myrtles (Sloww) if I can find room and can talk my wife out of her ill-thought out landscaping "plans".

Comment

Working...
                            X