No announcement yet.

Thread for obviously newsworthy stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putins Investments into Donnie finally are showing dividends ...
    seems like Trump now is lobbying for reinstating russia into the G7 (from which it was removed after criminally annexing the crim)

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Trump keeps talking about pardoning Cohen and Manafort on a daily basis yet then claims he is not thinking about it. Yeah, that is why he talks about it and obsesses about it constantly, right? Because he is not thinking about it.

Of course, state charges would still go ahead and both would lose their 5th amendment rights as they would be convicted felons in the eyes of the court, legally speaking. That means both would fully have to spill the beans under oath, no taking the 5th, and if they lied under oath those would be entirely new felony counts against them.
    Last edited by Dinner; June 9, 2018, 03:30.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• I read a slightly different take on that this morning in the paper

about 5 myths of pardons. I won't post them all but here's number 4

MYTH NO. 4

Pardons are only for guilty people; accepting one is an admission of guilt.

In 1915, the Supreme Court wrote in Burdick v. United States that a pardon "carries an imputation of guilt; acceptance a confession of it." Over the years, many have come to see a necessary relationship between a pardon and guilt. Ford carried the Burdick quote in his wallet, defending the Nixon pardon by noting that it established Nixon's guilt. More recently, MSNBC host Ari Melber taunted Arpaio by saying he had admitted he was guilty when he accepted Trump's pardon.

But Burdick was about a different issue: the ability to turn down a pardon. The language about imputing and confessing guilt was just an aside — what lawyers call dicta. The court meant that, as a practical matter, because pardons make people look guilty, a recipient might not want to accept one. But pardons have no formal, legal effect of declaring guilt.

Indeed, in rare cases pardons are used to exonerate people. This was Trump's rationale for posthumously pardoning boxer Jack Johnson, the victim of a racially based railroading in 1913. Ford pardoned Iva Toguri d'Aquino (World War II's "Tokyo Rose") after "60 Minutes" revealed that she was an innocent victim of prosecutors who suborned perjured testimony in her treason case. President George H.W. Bush pardoned Caspar Weinberger because he thought the former defense secretary, indicted in the Iran-contra affair, was a victim of "the criminalization of policy differences." If the president pardons you because he thinks you are innocent, what guilt could accepting that pardon possibly admit?
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Trump trying to silence his critics
        I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
        Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
        Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
          I read a slightly different take on that this morning in the paper

about 5 myths of pardons. I won't post them all but here's number 4
          Yeah, to me "pardon" sounds always like an act of mercy, not an act of justice. I'd think ppl who are not quilty would rather to have their case reopended to get this confirmed in court (if possible). Not that I know legal detail tho

Blah

Comment

• This is the only thread I am going to post in for a while, as all my revelations are newsworthy.

I have my PTSD on the ropes.
            Order of the Fly
            Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• Macron defeats Trump in Handshaking ... almost breaking his tiny little hands

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Donnie, I already told you 3 times that you should take out the trash

Comment

• "Please don't sit here please don't sit here please don't oh crap..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

Donnie, I already told you 3 times that you should take out the trash
                    Mr. Trump. Was it you who drew curly mustaches on all the portraits and wrote "Trudeau is a poo-poo-head" on the bathroom wall?
                    I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• True to form, online commenters have since turned the photo into a humorous caption contest.

Look at that photo and tell me Trump isn't a spoiled stupid man child.

Comment

• I really hope the North Korean and American security teams don't accidentally assassinate each others leaders...
                        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Our relationship is a 10 ... out of what? 20? 100?

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
                            I really hope the North Korean and American security teams don't accidentally assassinate each others leaders...

Red Wedding. Just saying....

Aside from this Canada should slap a hefty tariff on Trump when he is entering the country (like for G7 or so) because he's a national security risk
                            Blah

Comment

• The DNA is still trying to block Bernie Sanders from running again.

Comment

Working...
                              X