What sci-fi/fantasy do you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What sci-fi/fantasy do you like?

Speculative fiction is very hit and miss; a lot of authors have made it big by trafficking in cliches or recycling abundantly familiar tropes. And some of them are just profoundly mediocre writers who got contracts because some sci-fi fans are so voracious they'll snarf it all up so long as it doesn't contain egregious logical or grammatical errors. I am not one of those readers, but I'd like to branch out into my library's respectable sci-fi section. I've read all their Orson Scott Card (even the crap ones), Timothy Zahn, Neal Stephenson, and all the McCaffrey that sounds interesting. Probably some others I've forgotten. I tried Cherryh's Foreigner, couldn't get into it. Likewise Kameron Hurley's Mirror Empire, though The Stars are Legion seems tolerable if you eyeroll your way past her silly gender politics obsession (I figure this is only fair, since I extend the same courtesy to Card's equal and opposite obsession). I've read all the Dune that doesn't suck, and some that does. I'm done with Star Wars EU except for nostalgia purposes, not into Trek fiction. I tried The Color of Magic, said bleh three pages in, am told it's not his best, so I guess I could give Discworld in general another try. What do you guys like?

EDIT: Also, no Lovecraft. Oh, how I hate Lovecraft.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

For fanatasy I'm a big fan of L. E. Modesitt Jr His detail work sometimes seems boring but he does it in a way that I can't put it down. He could be explaining how to make ink and I'll read it. He's a good story teller. It's not always black and white. He can also do epic, based on all the different series.

For SF I like the speculative stuff best but will still read a good mil SF if the author can infuse the right level of humor.

Mysteries disguised as SF can also be real good if combined with the more speculative stuff.

And finally, your book wasn't too shabby either. Keep writing
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Foreigner is the only Cherryh I don't like. Weird (compared to other Cherryh fans), I know.

Try Wolfe's books, particularly the New Sun.

Try Bujold's work. Both fantasy (Curse of Challion is one of my all time favorites) and SciFi (everyone knows Miles).

Try Cherryh for something else other Foreigner, particularly Cyteen.

For discworld I can understand why people bounce off the Wizards, I would recommend Small Gods and Guards Guards.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Contemporary favorites of mine include Alistair Reynolds, for galaxy-spanning hard-ish SF; Greg Egan for mind-expanding ideas and aliens; and Dan Simmons, for thick, literary-type stuff.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Babylon 5.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Star-Trek-Firefly-Star-Wars-c081c317779705fc.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	9333325
          I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
          Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
          Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

That's awesome.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
              Contemporary favorites of mine include Alistair Reynolds, for galaxy-spanning hard-ish SF; Greg Egan for mind-expanding ideas and aliens; and Dan Simmons, for thick, literary-type stuff.
              Forgot to mention that I recently read Hyperion and liked it a great deal. Annoyingly, the library doesn't have the rest of the series. May have to ILL it.
              1011 1100

Comment

I didn't really like Simmons outside of the Hyperion Cantos. Not that he was bad.

I have enjoyed
                Nnedi Okorafor
                Max Gladstone
                Elizabeth Bear
                David Anthony Durham
                N. K. Jemisin
                Ann Leckie
                Cixin Liu
                Martha Wells
                recently.

JM
                (all multiple purchases in the last two years where I intend to buy more)
                (actually Durham was earlier)
                Last edited by Jon Miller; September 28, 2017, 21:12.
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

You could try Ian Banks and Neal Asher.
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                    Yeah, these too. I figure I've probably read close to 5000 syfi/fant and it's hard to remember all the good ones. And the bad one are more easily forgettable. And I've forgotten a lot.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen; I've bookmarked this thread for the next time I go to the library.
                      1011 1100

Comment

Pretty big Ben Bova fan along with Heinlein.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Cherryh, Cherryh, Cherryh!

Especially Chanur. Pride of Chanur is first, followed by the Chanur's Venture Trillogy.
                          Last edited by The Mad Monk; October 1, 2017, 11:31.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                            Pretty big Ben Bova fan along with Heinlein.
                            Heinlein
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Larry Niven are always worth a (re)visit.
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X