Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm screwed - financial tips thread?

Have to sell the house.

Initially, we built it for the family. Then I got ill and family broke. So I am the only person paying. Turns out my income is not enough to take care of all of it. I still pay lots of stuff for the kids.

Selling it to my Dad would've been beneficial as we'd still be able to be here, he'd move in, but this is the kid's home, so selling it to an outsider sucks. Plus we built this.

Nothing can be done about it. I've still got a bit over 200k in mortgage, with a reasonable monthly payment of 900 euros. With all other utilities, it's about 1000 euros per month. Very reasonable.

All in all, I still need to build a garage and fix up the yard. Current valuation of the house is 300k. With the plans implemented, it goes up to 350k. This was during economic downfall, it's now up again and we're looking at a possible 400k next year. That would give me a profit of 100k+ over initial investment. As long as I work for a bank, I have 250k worth of 0 margin loan, so I should basically get it all out, and they require 30 % down payment to grant the 250k. Which I'd have and is part of the loan. SO say I get 100k, debt free, I'd have 350k to invest with 0 margin. Cannot be put into bonds or other financial instruments. What should I invest in? Real estate is probably the best, rent it out? The profit is tax free, and for 350k my monthly payment is less than 1000 euros.

Any real estate investors here who can provide simple maths? Or should I just rent and enjoy life, or what's left of it? Realistically, I am not going to live another 10 years, so renting for say, 200 euro profit makes no sense. I'd have to get some good apartments, and re sell them. What do you guys think?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

I do like some REITS, especially a medical/retirement home one (OHI). It pays around 8% yield. Not sire what you can buy in Finland and what tax rules are like.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

200k is very managable. I mean do not lose your house of a penance of an amount like $1000 a month. Start driving Uber or Lyft on your weekends and you will make that extra $1000 a month.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Sell it and spend all the money on hookers and blow

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
          200k is very managable. I mean do not lose your house of a penance of an amount like $1000 a month. Start driving Uber or Lyft on your weekends and you will make that extra $1000 a month.
          The point is to reduce stress and spend more time with his kids.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Gotta go with Dinner here. You've paid off more than half of it? Why give it up? Find the money, see if you can renegotiate the mortgage and lower your payments.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
            X