Problematic Lyrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problematic Lyrics

Some time late afternoon to early evening on 9/11 (iirc), one of my local radio stations (DC101) played Creed's "One" after only relaying news the whole day. This was done intentionally as a kind of why can't we all get along and live in peace kind of thing. And that's how I've always remembered the song, with that message and tied to that day. But awhile back I took a look at the lyrics with fresh eyes and realized something a little problematic:

Originally posted by Scott Stapp
    Affirmative may be justified
    Take from one give to another
    The goal is to be unified
    Take my hand be my brother
    The payment silenced the masses
    Sanctified by oppression
    Unity took a backseat
    Sliding further into regression

One, oh one,
    The only way is one

One, oh one,
    The only way is one
    I feel angry I feel helpless
    Want to change the world
    I feel violent I feel alone
    Don't try and change my mind

Society blind by color
    Why hold down one to raise another
    Discrimination now on both sides
    Seeds of hate blossom further
    The world is heading for mutiny
    When all we want is unity
    We may rise and fall, but in the end
    We meet our fate together

One, oh one,
    The only way is one
    One, oh one,
    The only way is one
    Want to change the world

Want to change the world yeah

Want to change the world yeah
    This song is a pretty transparent screed against affirmative action and "reverse discrimination" that comes off a bit, let's say, tone deaf these days. So the question is, how should this affect my understanding of/appreciation for the song? I mean, regardless of the lyrical content, this song is not by any means a masterpiece. But it takes me back to that period of my life, and the emotional resonance of the song for me is just in the "all we want is unity" bits. Can I appreciate the song in that dimension only while ignoring the other parts? Or should I reevaluate?

This doesn't keep me up at night. I'm mentioning it today because it's 9/11 and DC101 intentionally replayed this song today, so it was on my mind. I'm sure there are other songs or books or what have you that we all enjoyed at one point in our lives but that now seem problematic when we return to them. When that happens to you, how do you respond? Does it change how you think of that piece of art? Do you not care? Monkeys.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

I think that I liked Queen better when their lyrics expressed me better. Doesn't change my respect for them but does change my interest in listening to them.

M
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Well, I kind of liked Jack White's Freedom at 21. Looked up the lyrics. He appears to be whining that feminism, and possibly cell phones, make it difficult for him to get a girlfriend. I concluded that Jack White is kind of an ass (which I knew already) and continued enjoying the song. Brown Sugar doesn't bother me, but for some reason Under My Thumb, which is far less objectionable lyrically, strikes me as gratingly misogynistic. In general, however, I don't get that into songs based on lyrics. I kind of like the Hives, and more or less all of their songs involve Pelle talking smack at the audience.

On a vaguely related note, I just learned that the thrilling chorus to "Battle on the Ice" from Alexander Nevsky, translated from Latin, goes "a pilgrim I awaited, my feet in cymbals," repeated over and over. It's believed to be a joke at the expense of Stravinsky, and has no relevance to the scene, movie, or anything else. I kind of like that. Prokofiev discovered, before anyone else, that moviegoers will find any idiot thing impressive as long as it's chanted in Latin during a cinematic climax.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

OTOH, I kind of liked the Killers when they came out, but when 2012 came around and they were still releasing songs full of defiant youthful rebellion, I couldn't listen without reflecting that all those guys had to be like thirty years old at the least. It was kind of sad.
        1011 1100

Comment

Huh. I just looked this up now and apparently (according to Sting) "Every Breath You Take" is supposed to be creepy. I didn't even remember the title and instead googled "the police stalking song."
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

No matter where you go i'll be watching you.....
            I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
            Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
            Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

I wonder how he feels about its use as a wedding song...
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Theme song to the NSA!

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                  I wonder how he feels about its use as a wedding song...
                  According to wiki:

Sting later said he was disconcerted by how many people think the song is more positive than it is. He insists it is about the obsession with a lost lover, and the jealousy and surveillance that follow. "One couple told me 'Oh we love that song; it was the main song played at our wedding!' I thought, 'Well, good luck.'"[12]

Comment

Kind of like Hillary used "Taking Care of Business" as a campaign song even though it's about being a slacker? Or the numerous use of Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi for triumphant music even though the message of the Latin lyrics is "Life is crap, I might as well give up now"?
                    1011 1100

Comment

Or how Bruce Springsteen is always telling Republican politicians to stop using "Born in the USA" at their campaign rallies.

Comment

La Marseillaise is probably the poster child.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                        X