No announcement yet.

EU GDPR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a business related law or regulation in Saudi Arabia demanding business partners from abroad doing this? I guess no, and it would be pretty hard to enforce as long ppl stay outside the country, the fact aside that it would violate foreign souvereignty rights.

However, if they really want to go down that route it would be entirely in the hands of Saudi Arabia to just say "those infidels don't wear stuff, so we don't accept them doing business with us and they can buy oil elsewhere" - even when we don't agree with their take on this - because that is in the realm of their souvereignty.
    Blah

Comment

If Saudi Arabia had that kind of leverage, they would have used it already. The only thing preventing other groups from trying what the US (sanctions) and EU (regulations) are doing is the tacit admission that they lack the power to do so.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I am! Do I love it? Absolutely, as someone who built the log management system, I absolutely love this stuff. From my heart. It's all I really think. From MFs to cloud services to whathaveyou-just-bought-a-new-system and audit-trail-is-it-THAT-important? Yah, totally doing it.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka View Post
          I am! Do I love it? Absolutely, as someone who built the log management system, I absolutely love this stuff. From my heart. It's all I really think. From MFs to cloud services to whathaveyou-just-bought-a-new-system and audit-trail-is-it-THAT-important? Yah, totally doing it.
          Do I detect a reading on my irony-meter?

And what's an MF in this context?

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
            I was just answering Cort's question. I don't want to crap all over his thread ....
            I think giblets already did that.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
              If Saudi Arabia had that kind of leverage, they would have used it already. The only thing preventing other groups from trying what the US (sanctions) and EU (regulations) are doing is the tacit admission that they lack the power to do so.
              US sanctions are far easier to lawfully avoid than data protection laws. Don't want to get caught by US sanctions? Use EURs and thus avoid US-clearing. I would contend that the reason US financial sanctions have bite is because the main liquid currency countries (EU, GB, Canada etc) generally have the same sanctions. Cuba is a clear example of sanctions being circumvented by the use of EURs and a willingness for European banks to provided financing. The US could pass sanction on anyone trading with Cuba and doing US business, but that can be avoided by making sure you have the right group structure to ensure the entity trading with Cuba creates no US legal nexus. Most of the large OFAC/etc fines against European banks has been due to trades being done in dollars and clearing through New York.

As an aside I still don't understand why the US allowed the U-Turn exemption on Iran until November 2008. Basically said "Yep, sell your oil to anyone you like provided no Americans are involved, we don't care. What's that? You want to process billions of dollars through New York using correspondent accounts? Sure! No worries! Just don't let the payment start or end in the US."
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post

Do I detect a reading on my irony-meter?

And what's an MF in this context?
                Yes. You're reading is correct.

MF is mainframe. One of the pains in huge enterprise environment is the infrastructure that as been built over years, or decades. Simple things become very complex. And expensive. In some cases near damn impossible so you have to get creative.

The worst thing in GDPR is, from my POV, that it's not _that_ difficult, but management can both make it a high priority and still not treat it as such when it comes to resources. As I was ready to get some problem statements to be solved, it turns out that the big group working on this didn't have a clue what an audit trail in real life is, let alone details of it. As in how you get it done in a huge environment with millions of customers, many different business domains (yes, hospitals too), and so the amount of transactions is .... fairly significant. So, but turns out after months and months of meetings with consultants, they haven't advanced too far, and so now this pile of head aches is my head ache. Sure everything can be done, but with no support and no resources; no power, only responsibility.... it's just a head ache. Therefore I love it!
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka View Post

Yes. You're reading is correct.

MF is mainframe. One of the pains in huge enterprise environment is the infrastructure that as been built over years, or decades. Simple things become very complex. And expensive. In some cases near damn impossible so you have to get creative.

The worst thing in GDPR is, from my POV, that it's not _that_ difficult, but management can both make it a high priority and still not treat it as such when it comes to resources. As I was ready to get some problem statements to be solved, it turns out that the big group working on this didn't have a clue what an audit trail in real life is, let alone details of it. As in how you get it done in a huge environment with millions of customers, many different business domains (yes, hospitals too), and so the amount of transactions is .... fairly significant. So, but turns out after months and months of meetings with consultants, they haven't advanced too far, and so now this pile of head aches is my head ache. Sure everything can be done, but with no support and no resources; no power, only responsibility.... it's just a head ache. Therefore I love it!
                  Makes me glad not to be working for a large organisation. And agreed about responsibility without power. It sucketh.

Comment

Working...
                  X