EU GDPR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU GDPR

Anyone here working on compliance with this enlightened/pesky* piece of legislation?

Fancy swapping notes, experiences, gripes, confusions, delights etc?

*pesky

I don't even know what it is, but I do have to say, it's awful good to see you again, old man.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

You too, Elok. I hope you are well.

It is the EU General Data Protection Regulation. Tough new measures including a focus heavy on a person's consent to to be able to store and process data on an individual. Well intentioned but potentially a major PITA for business going about their usual business and for their customers too. Strangely, the EU law gets to somehow apply to anyone in the world that is trading with the EU. I've no idea how that works. Presumably the same way that US sanctions on country X prohibits country Y from trading with country X even though one might have felt that it was very much country Y's business, and not John McCain's.

But I digress.

One of the fun aspects of this legislation is that non-compliance could cost a fine of 20 million euros, which is basically a death sentance for most businesses, and that full compliance could annoy customers and to the point of scaring them away and/or damage ability to persue marketing and business analysis goals. There are apparent loopholes where 'Legitimate Interests' could allow consent to be avoided, but the guidelines that were due to be published in June this year by the ICO (Enforcers of Data Protection laws in the UK) have now been postponed to the end of the year, which is too late for businesses to be able to prepare for the deadline of May 28th 2018. Brexit doesn't make a difference as the UK guvmint is committed to observing the law, and anyway, anyone in the world who trades with the EU is supposed to follow it, for reasons I don't understand, as I said earlier.

As you can see I'm not a massive fan, but wondered if there were others here who are working on it.
      Last edited by Cort Haus; July 26, 2017, 09:14.

Comment

Ah. My eyes are crossing just trying to read the Wiki page, but I gather it's kind of like the way my pharmacy has to hoard every scrap of paper that contains, might contain, or alludes to patient information, stuff it into boxes, and guard it like Nazi gold. Because, you know, there are a lot of identity thieves out there who reap massive profits by digging through pharmacy dumpsters to find out which random old men are taking allopurinol for their gout.

Only in this case everybody has to do it, not just pharmacies. Fun! I bet this'll cost a ****-ton of money to enforce, too.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
          Anyone here working on compliance with this enlightened/pesky* piece of legislation?

Fancy swapping notes, experiences, gripes, confusions, delights etc?

*pesky
          Yes.

God no.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

And €20m is an under-statement. It is much bigger. It can be up to 4% of WORLDWIDE turnover or €€20m, whichever is greater. You are a bank with a turnover of €100 bn? That'll be fun if you have a serious breach.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
              And €20m is an under-statement. It is much bigger. It can be up to 4% of WORLDWIDE turnover or €€20m, whichever is greater. You are a bank with a turnover of €100 bn? That'll be fun if you have a serious breach.
              Yes, but ultimately they can probably afford that more than an SME can afford the 20m. What are the authorities going to do with all their monies? Expand their bureaucracy to enable them to capture even more monies? I hear the ICO have started off with 400 staff to conduct prosecutions.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post

Yes, but ultimately they can probably afford that more than an SME can afford the 20m.
                True.

Although as aside, it is my experience that ability to pay has a big impact on how much a fine turns out to be. Regulators don't want to be seen to be making otherwise viable company's insolvent unless they're very naughty boys and girls to the core and criminal charges are in the offing. Would be interested in seeing if pragmatism or name-making comes to the fore.

Comment

Wow, the EU is dumb

Comment

Cort Haus, also glad to see you back, even if just to discuss mind-numbing bureaucracy.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

a brit (who i respect immensly) said something critical about acquis communautaire in the making (which I discard immediately)

Comment

what I don't discard is that the pound/euro ratio feel to 1:1, something that has never happened before.

Being "proud" has its consequences

(waiting for dinner to dickify the thread I hope not)

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post

True.

Although as aside, it is my experience that ability to pay has a big impact on how much a fine turns out to be. Regulators don't want to be seen to be making otherwise viable company's insolvent unless they're very naughty boys and girls to the core and criminal charges are in the offing. Would be interested in seeing if pragmatism or name-making comes to the fore.
                          I expect much will be also decided in court over the interpretation of 'Legitimate Interests'. Marketing to current and recent customers should be ok, but how far back is it ok to go? I can see the regulators getting a big pile of work to sift through, given how enforcement is almost being encouraged by a system of snitchery. Unhappy customer? Register a suspected breach. Disgruntled ex-employee? Spill the beans. Competitor? Report suspected foul play.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                            Cort Haus, also glad to see you back, even if just to discuss mind-numbing bureaucracy.
                            Hello Lorizael. I did look at your thread, and am sorry to hear that things are not entirely well. Maybe I can join discussions about more interesting things that Data Protection laws. It might not end very well, as I don't feel my perspectives on certain political issues are sufficiently harmonised with the overall tide of opinon here. As it were.

Comment

Except for the stuff with my ex, things are going pretty well right now. Finally finished my astronomy degree and now doing (kind of boring) work for NASA through my university and being paid decently.

But hey, no one here supports the all-consuming telepathic techno-blob and yet I still manage to fit in and have discussions. Just talk about the things that interest you and ignore the crap. We have so little activity nowadays that anything new or different is good.
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X