No announcement yet.

thru-hikers here? Or just hikers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as he can meet his financial obligations to support his childern why not carpe diem?
    Well, if he wants to go away for awhile, I have no problem with that, but a year from his kids? His kids have a need for their father.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Also, I believe his ex was a nut. He has much more than just financial obligations to his children.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post

Well, if he wants to go away for awhile, I have no problem with that, but a year from his kids? His kids have a need for their father.
        That's funny coming from a guy who claims he wouldn't even go to his daughters wedding if she was gay.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The only long through hike I ever did was the John Muir Trail which is a section of the PCT.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I did not leave my child alone with someone else for more than a week at a time until he was 10 (we left him with his Aunt who had 3 children of her own for 10 days while we went to Argentina). My wife and I are still married and she is a very sane, trained pediatrician. There is no way I would leave small children alone for longer than a few days with an ex-wife as crazy as Pekka has described.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

While this is all true, I am trying to come up with ways to be with the kids. Of course, I should do this later. The thing is, I am not likely to be alive for much longer. It's a choice between going for ones dreams or forgetting about them. Now, it is increasingly difficult to ignore the call, as I am miserable, doing a meaningless job, excluding parenting.

I am thinking of having the kids come to a close by city for a week per month, with their Mum, or something along those lines. That would allow us to be together. That would increase the budget quite a lot, and would mean their mother would have to agree. That would mean 4 trips. Or 3. I am quite fast, and can cover distance if needed. Takes away from the hike (covering distance fast), but if it is what it takes, then that's the way.

Or I could have them for a long time before departing, and a long time after I'd return. And few trips while doing it. And we already stayed in touch via Skype etc in June. Any other ideas are more than welcome.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

That's funny coming from a guy who claims he wouldn't even go to his daughters wedding if she was gay.
                I said that I wouldn't go to a homosexual wedding regardless of the participants. It wouldn't be the first family wedding that I've missed either. I'm Catholic. I don't get to pick and choose what is my faith, and to choose things contrary to my faith just because it is more convenient for me.

I would expect your tack from an atheist. Should I treat you like one?
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

No... you should treat me as a father, which I am, and you obviously aren't.
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka View Post
                    The thing is, I am not likely to be alive for much longer.
                    Has something changed?
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
                      No... you should treat me as a father, which I am, and you obviously aren't.
                      I would like to think that if Ben is ever blessed with a child that his love for that child would override almost everything, like it does with most parents despite what they thought before.

It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                      X