Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thru-hikers here? Or just hikers?

Any hikers here?

Just finished Camino de Frances, 799km of bliss.

Looking for new hikes, have thought about PCT, AT and the Continental Divide. Also the bib in Ozzie.

So, I can do about 800-1000km in 4 to 5 weeks without much problems. I'd like to do more back country or survival type of hiking. I reckon PCT would be better for those purposes. I'd say experience is between intermediate to experienced. Neither, but in between.

Any recommendations?

edit: more to the point, any ideas of how to monetize hiking? I'd like to quit my job and just hike/travel. I'm willing to sell all my belongings and just be out there. I think the only way is to get sponsors, photography or writing. Any other ideas?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

If you also learn to hunt, why bother monetizing it at all? Just melt into the wilderness and embrace your inner animal.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Not a hunter here. Also would quit my job, so some sort of an income would be wanted. Need food and other things in life.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

You could make a website and a YouTube channel and be a "hiking vlogger". Get a GoPro and a DJI drone, put amazon affiliate links to all your gear. If you get a good number of subscribers (100k+) businesses will likely start to send you equipment and ask you to promote their gear. A lot of travel vloggers make good money off ad revenue and sponsership. With a different take on it (hiking/survival) and your story of surviving brain cancer it could be big time.

Comment

Here's a new travel vlogger (from Iceland?) who recently went through the Philippines and really started to take off. He does pretty good editing, but really doesn't do anything else special. You have a much better story to tell. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzf...zs2xUUzI3jVRSg

Comment

• Pekka
            Pekka commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the link! Am looking into it. Just getting my PhD out, and have been discussing it in therapy extensively, about what to do, the disappointment of life in general. MIght've reached too much too soon in the career. So now I'll choose another route, and my happy place is in the woods or trails. The story would be about survival after cancer, and how to just f'cking let it all go and go for happy. My primary concern for money is that I'd want to fly out the kids every now and then, or come and see them. I cannot start yet, be away for long times, but soon, as in the next 12 months. I'd like to conquer most trails that seem fun around the world, and it could motivate others to do the same, leave their boring cubicles, and if I can do it, they can do it. And just beautiful scenery... I am thinking of trying hunting but I have problems with it. Not eating meat (I eat meat), but I am not sure if I can do it. I am actually reconsidering what I eat due to the fact that I don't want to hunt.

I am accustomed to more survival type of places, and making joy there with myself. I can give out pointers and tips what to do, what not to do. I am fairly shy, so I'd need to practice. I think the idea of getting a GoPro is good. The Drone idea is a killer, imagine the shots that could be taken! I have friends who do professional photography and film making so I might get some help. I've no idea what makes a good blog, or vlog, so if you know any other successful ones, lemme know and I'll try to see what they do. But mucho gracias.

And yes, only thru-hiking.

Interesting twist in the Saga of Supercitizen...
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Pekka
            Pekka commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, you've got to do what makes you happy, right?

But what about the kids. Do you want to miss out on all the joys there? Or did I miss a chapter in the life of the supercitizen?
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Pekka
            Pekka commented
            Editing a comment
            This is the _only_ true issue. Nothing keeps me here, but the kids. I cannot leave right now, I have to wait at least a year. I am actually not thinking of leaving forever, but maybe take a sabbatical first. That allows me to do few really good ones and try if I can make it work. I think it is still within the limits of being a reasonable parent. I'd have to come at least twice to home anyway, and I could fly them out to see me. I'd spend much more time with them before I'd depart, and when I get back.

I reckon their mother holds all the power.

pekka I'm drunk with tsiporuo

having said that i enjoy hiking very much but the SO just wants to sip coctails at the bar.

I saw some great hiking spaces in greece but i can't be specific because I don't remeber

keep being the supercitizen!

peace

Comment

Pekka,

I'm not an expert, just getting into making videos myself. But even my dumbass socially awkward "force myself to talk for 10 minutes straight with no script or editing" videos that I've been doing to prep myself for more serious, scripted, edited ones, seem to strike a chord with some people. Just watch a lot of random videos and if something seems interesting to you note what it is that draws you in.

I'd recommend just being yourself as much as possible. You have a good story, and an interesting way of expressing yourself.

If you're treating it as a business, those hikes and all the equipment become business expenses. So if you're spending more than you make while travelling around hiking (which will almost surely happen at first), at least you can get a break on your taxes. If you're making good money this year, and aren't sure how much you'll make next, once you've decided on the direction you want to take ... start your business this year, buy all the equipment, just make a few videos about the equipment or something you can do without travelling too far, and take as much of a loss on the business as you can this year. (Check your tax law of course.)

Comment

• Pekka
              Pekka commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes... the things I like in videos are the scenery, changing conditions, information about the routes, and gear tips. I reckon it'd be more for the hiking types, or especially the ones who want to go but haven't gone due to what ever reasons they might have. The message is, GO. I have most gear already. I'd need only maybe a new backbag, video equipment for the long hike. And few random things. My friend sent me links on a good photoshoot camera and DJI drone. I want to map the routes, shoot what it looks like, what to expect when you go, and shoot enough material as to not go for the 5 minute quick ones, that shows you one part of the trip. It's not that much about money for me, it's more about how to handle being a father at the same time. That leaves this year out. Still, I should start right now if I want to start next year.

Thinking of starting with Appalachian Trail. AT takes only 4 months and is the cheapest. I reckon the time is perfect to see how it goes. If it is great, then I can follow suit and take my sabbatical, and change careers altogether. Carries a very low risk.

I had a grand-uncle (with an IQ of over 160) who decided that his priority was hiking. He did end up divorced, but he still was in his children's lives. He got a job as an accountant and worked ~4 months a year and spend the rest of the year hiking/enjoying life.

JM
            (I use pass tense, he died due to cancer a couple of years back.)
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Pekka
              Pekka commented
              Editing a comment
              I've yet to meet an idiot hiker. Like a truly stupid one. I am sure they exist. Just haven't seen one.

The thing with the kids is that unless there is an actual way to still be a father, I'll go. Otherwise, that might be the only deal breaker.

The three really long hikes in the US are the PCT, the Appalchian trail, and the great divid trail. All three are pretty ****ing grueling and will require excellent gear, planning, and experience. How to monitize? Hard to say as so many are trying to do the same. Maybe a gofundme drive, a blog, youtube videos, and keeping a journal to later turn into a guide book/adventure travel log.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Pekka
              Pekka commented
              Editing a comment
              I reckon the great divide is most gruelling with required skills of actual navigation, whereas the other three are well marked and supported. Just long.

Shortly after graduating from high school, I had a plan to hike the AT (Appalachian Trail) in order to commune with nature or some crap like that. Never managed to make it happen, though.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Pekka
              Pekka commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe reconsider?

OK.

I think I might just start it safer and go with a sabbatical first. Not actually quit my job, just take a year off. That leaves me with needing to settle how the kids thing will work.

My main motivation to go is calling. Cannot explain it, really. I just love hiking and feel one with the environment and myself out there. I have experience, and the gruelling aspect is not a turn off. Just feel good out there, and not good when not there. It's all I really think of, anyway. I still can go, another round of treatments might take my ability to move good enough away. So I reckon I should not wait but go. I can always come back for treatments in here, that will take months with no guarantees.
            In da butt.

Comment

Pekka, I don't think this is a very good idea while you've got kids. Sorry. I think they should take more priority.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

As long as he can meet his financial obligations to support his childern why not carpe diem?
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                X