New old Tolkien book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New old Tolkien book

A new book by Lord of the Rings author JRR Tolkien is going on sale - 100 years after it was first conceived.

Beren and Lúthien has been described as a "very personal story" that the Oxford professor thought up after returning from the Battle of the Somme.

It was edited by his son Christopher Tolkien and contains versions of a tale that became part of The Silmarillion.

The book features illustrations by Alan Lee, who won an Academy Award for his work on Peter Jackson's film trilogy.

It is being published on Thursday by HarperCollins on the 10th anniversary of the last Middle Earth book, The Children of Húrin.

(...)
    full article: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-40109396

Dunno if this means another Peter Jackson movie trilogy in a couple yrs....
    Blah

This should give Jackson at least nine hours of material

Comment

Hell... if he could get 9 hours out of the Hobbit, this should be worth at least 18 hours
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Technically I don't thing he really got the full nine hours out, since he had to make up a good portion of it. Without which it might have ended up being one decent three hour movie instead of three bad ones.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Rah, be very careful what you say, as Kidicious is completely PWNing your ass right now. Time to regroup, Rah.

I can help you disconnect your modem if you want.
          Order of the Fly
          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Yes, a new victory for kid, without even posting. You just can't top that kind of pwning.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• grumbler
              grumbler commented
              Editing a comment
              I wish he would win every thread exactly like he has won this one.

The Tolkien Estate will not be giving any movie studio any more rights for the foreseeable future. Christopher Tolkien (rightly) loathed the Hobbit trilogy, and didn't much care for what they did to LOTR before that. If the rights pass to a video-game-playing great-grandson when CT dies, maybe. Otherwise this'n's safe. If it's anything like CoH, it's not going to be much improved on the original Silmarillion story, but it might be worth a look anyway.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Good for the world that JRR Tolkien sold the rights to the Trilogy and The Hobbit during his lifetime.
              Actually, good for the Tolkien Estate itself .... I am sure that the movies inspired thousand of people to buy and read the books themselves (people who wouldn't have done so without the movies)
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Actually they've been pretty consistently cheated of royalties by creative Hollywood bookkeeping (they had to sue to get money from LOTR), and as for getting more people to read the books . . . http://theoatmeal.com/comics/exposure
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Well, of course I hope that most of the people I refer to (i.e. those who got 89inspired by the movies to read the books) actually buy them and therefore (due to higher royalties from book sales) the Tolkien estate gained a profit out of the movies even without taking into accountany royalties from the movie industry.
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Wow. I might actually buy this if it's the story of Beren and Luthien. Huge fan of the Simarillion.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                    X