Brexit means Brexit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brexit means Brexit

So much is clear - tho nobody knows yet what this means exactly in consequences.

As for this thread in case anyone does still care (it's neither about Sharia nor another episode of "Mr .Trump's phantastic adventures in Moscow hotel rooms", after all):

I'm not much interested in redoing another Brexit debate. To make it short: Yes, the Brits had absolutely the right to decide how they did (and nobody from outside has actually ever been able to deny them this right); no, I don't think it 's been a smart move, but ultimately only time will tell what comes out of it.

As it stands now tomorrow the UK will make it official, from there it's two yrs of negotiations. Thing is in recent months lots of different signals have been sent from both Brussels/EU capitals as well as from London, and it's hard to say how much was just positioning for those negotiations, or political asshattery for domestic reaspons.

One direct fallout for the UK itself is that Brexit could also mean Scoxit - albeit we don't know if that really comes to pass. FWIW I don't see much sense in splitting up the UK further, otoh when them Scots do really want it they can always refer to the "we don't want to get governed by Brussels" argument - just need to replace it with London.

Equally the EU could lose further members, tho there is also the argument that Brexit (and to some extent Trumpy) lead to some kind of a "close the ranks" effect. Whether that persist is another question...one thing is clear, both Britain and the EU could face a lot of changes.

However Brexit plays out, it will keep the EU as well as Britain busy for the next years.

/my 2 cents for now

Blah

Scoxit ?? Sounds more interesting with Sexit.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Aside from the Scoxit, the Brexit may also lead too an Northern-Eirexit ... the Northern Irish are less than amused about th prospect of having a hard border o their fre southern brethren and Sinn Fein (as separatist party) has gained a lot of influence ... and has already announced that they will refuse to to cooperate with the royalist/unionist DUP.

Who knows, maybe the prospect of Scoxit and Northern-Eirexit and the fear of getting very bad deall out of Brexit will persuade May to perform a Brexit-Exit

(on the other hand, the southeern irish think similar ... and may perform an Irexit, if the Northern Irish abstain from their Nothern-Eirexit)
      Last edited by Proteus_MST; March 28, 2017, 15:25.
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I know kentonio hates British people very much, so I look forward to his comments in this thread.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

There will not be any Scoxit. Also much depends on if the EU is serious or just trying to play games. So far all signs are that they are not serious and that the Eurocrat are still butt hurt children in need of a paddling not responsible leaders. Personally, I give it 40-60 (for to against) that Trump eventually gets involved to punish the EU for not acting like an ally should. That would be unfortunate as it would harm both sides but the EU would come out a lot worse off especially after debt deals get blocked and the Euro zone has an even bigger default crisis.

My suggestion to the EU is to sign a free trade deal and stop poking the bear before before he pushes you off a cliff.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Oerdin is an idiot. Nuff said.

Comment

Yes, but for what reason this time?
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Scotland - currently polling has them remain, but Theresa May is extremely likely to piss them off with her refusal to treat them as an equal partnership and her ridiculous unity talk in the middle of ripping us out of the EU. One the Brexit negotiations start to go wrong, expect to see the numbers change fairly fast. I'm putting Scottish independence at about 65-70% likely in the next 5 years.

Northern Ireland - Along with Wales, horribly vulnerable to Brexit and the border with the Republic could be a massive issue. There's actually serious talk going on about Norn independence, something I never thought I'd see (I always thought it'd be reunification with the Republic one day). Got to be less likely than Scotland, but who the **** knows any more.

Britain vs EU - On every conceivable measure, Britain gets ****ed. The EU has a huge amount to lose by a generous deal, and they're just about to go into their own financial planning stage for the next 4-5 years. Terrible time to hold a negotiation, Britain has very little expertise in running negotiations at this level, the timescale is nothing even close to how long it would need to be, our governing officials are complete idiots who don't even understand basic facts about how the EU works, and our fallback plan is to say the equivilent of 'If you don't give us a great deal we'll shoot ourself in the dick!!'. 95% chance that Britain is considerably poorer in 1-5 years, would be 100% except the EU is capable of being far too nice and/or inept itself on occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                  There will not be any Scoxit. Also much depends on if the EU is serious or just trying to play games. So far all signs are that they are not serious and that the Eurocrat are still butt hurt children in need of a paddling not responsible leaders. Personally, I give it 40-60 (for to against) that Trump eventually gets involved to punish the EU for not acting like an ally should. That would be unfortunate as it would harm both sides but the EU would come out a lot worse off especially after debt deals get blocked and the Euro zone has an even bigger default crisis.

My suggestion to the EU is to sign a free trade deal and stop poking the bear before before he pushes you off a cliff.
                  My suggestion is you take a good look at your own country and clean up that mess. Then -maybe then- you can come and tell us what to do.
                  Who knows, you might need our help once China decides to economically kick in your teeth.
                  "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

*This is no Fake News* The Brexit-Letter has beeen delivered *I repeat, this is NO FAKE NEWS*
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post

He isn't going to punish anyone. He didn't even raise tariffs on Mexico. There are too many pro-EU republicans in Congress.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post

Britain vs EU - On every conceivable measure, Britain gets ****ed. The EU has a huge amount to lose by a generous deal, and they're just about to go into their own financial planning stage for the next 4-5 years. Terrible time to hold a negotiation, Britain has very little expertise in running negotiations at this level, the timescale is nothing even close to how long it would need to be, our governing officials are complete idiots who don't even understand basic facts about how the EU works, and our fallback plan is to say the equivilent of 'If you don't give us a great deal we'll shoot ourself in the dick!!'. 95% chance that Britain is considerably poorer in 1-5 years, would be 100% except the EU is capable of being far too nice and/or inept itself on occasion.
                        Any movement for increased independence results is temporary economic setback. Your argument is a bit strange because you want Britain to be wealthier, but you don't want there to be a Britain at all.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                          Yes, but for what reason this time?

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy View Post
                            Oerdin is an idiot. Nuff said.
                            Oh, it is still not likely to happen but it very well could. Either way the EU really isn't in as strong a position as you seem to think.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

Any movement for increased independence results is temporary economic setback. Your argument is a bit strange because you want Britain to be wealthier, but you don't want there to be a Britain at all.
                              Which is why I was ardently pro-remain in the last Scottish independence campaign I suppose?

Comment

Working...
                              X