No announcement yet.

Fake News Reporting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So.... being religious is like buying a lottery ticket?

Comment

• said the man who has ruled out every possibility of God's existence despite overwhelming evidence
      Overwhelming evidence of God's existence...
      Hmmm... since when. Even the church falls back onto "faith" since there is no actual proof that there is a God.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Im confused. Is it a parody of a Christian parody news site, or is it just a B rate Christian parody news site?

Comment

• My favorite was the observation that you were more likely to die in a vending machine accident than winning the current jackpot. So after the they announced there was a winner this morning, I'm wondering when they will discover an accident victim.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Well if it’s like the lotto and you don’t have to get them in order, it increases the likelihood of proving GOD exists tremendously... because DOG.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post
              Well if it’s like the lotto and you don’t have to get them in order, it increases the likelihood of proving GOD exists tremendously... because DOG.
              So according to Aeson you should only play the lottery if you can prove that you are going to win. No wonder you are confused about the article.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Aeson
                Aeson commented
                Editing a comment
                You’re making less sense than usual ...

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

So according to Aeson you should only play the lottery if you can prove that you are going to win. No wonder you are confused about the article.
              There is always a difference between risk and reward:
              Subscribing to fundamentalist religion (like evangelical Christianity and Islam) is more akin to spending a large part of your fortune on a lottery (in contrast to spending 5$ or less on a lottery)

If someone would spend a large part of his fortune on a lottery (with a less than 1 % chance to win) he would rightfully be ridiculed
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• ROFLMAO
                If this were the USA, these people surely would be potential Trump-Voters

A shop for E-Cigarettes in Belgium.
                SIx robbers enter the shopo and want to rob it. The owner of the shop tells the would-be robbers that he currently has only little money in his registry and that they should come back in the evening around 6:30 PM, as then his registry surely would be filled with 2-3k Euro.
                Well, the robbers came back in the evening ... and, not surprisingly for anyone with at least half a brain ... they were greeted by the police and arrested

A shop owner asked them to come back when he had more money - when they did, they were arrested.

(according to Ben, I guess, the arrests were unjustified, because "do it or don't do it, there is no try" ... and the robbers didn't actually successfully rob the shop )
                Last edited by Proteus_MST; October 24, 2018, 11:02.
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

There is always a difference between risk and reward:
                  Subscribing to fundamentalist religion (like evangelical Christianity and Islam) is more akin to spending a large part of your fortune on a lottery (in contrast to spending 5$ or less on a lottery)

If someone would spend a large part of his fortune on a lottery (with a less than 1 % chance to win) he would rightfully be ridiculed
                  Not really. You haven't thought it through. It depends on what you want. I had an Econ professor that played the lottery a lot. If you want to get rich, and you don't want to work at it, it's the best chance. Likewise, if you want eternal life, believing in God is a small price to pay in comparison. But you haven't thought that through either.

Comment

Not really. You haven't thought it through. It depends on what you want. I had an Econ professor that played the lottery a lot. If you want to get rich, and you don't want to work at it, it's the best chance. Likewise, if you want eternal life, believing in God is a small price to pay in comparison. But you haven't thought that through either.
                    With chances far below 1% for a single ticket?
                    Example:
                    According to CNBC the chance for winning the US Mega Jackpot are 1:300 Mio

Spending everything you can on such a Lottery are just a guarantee to lose a lot of your money ... someone who would spend all of this money in a savings book or stock portfolio will in almost all cases end with more wealth in his hands than someone who would try his luck at the slim chances of a lottery.

Similarly with the belief in god ... with sufficiently slim chances of an existence of the god of a certain belief system, the risk reward pendulum swings more and more in the "risk"-zone the more you invest in your religion.
                    (actually even more so with the belif in a religion than with buying lottery tickets: With lottery tickets, the more you buy, the higher your chances of winning (at least enough to make it more of a breakeven and not a total loss) ... with religion your chances of the existence of the god of your religion are fixed ... no amount of time, work or money you spend on the religion will increase the chances of an existence of "your" god)

Comment

So you're saying your belief in God is driven by cynical selfishness. Not exactly a surprise, but good to know.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post

So you're saying your belief in God is driven by cynical selfishness. Not exactly a surprise, but good to know.
                        No I didn't say that. It is good for you to know a mistruth? That's Democrats for you.

I believe for many reasons. When you believe you see signs, but if you don't you probably don't see any signs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

With chances far below 1% for a single ticket?
                          Example:
                          According to CNBC the chance for winning the US Mega Jackpot are 1:300 Mio

Spending everything you can on such a Lottery are just a guarantee to lose a lot of your money ... someone who would spend all of this money in a savings book or stock portfolio will in almost all cases end with more wealth in his hands than someone who would try his luck at the slim chances of a lottery.

Similarly with the belief in god ... with sufficiently slim chances of an existence of the god of a certain belief system, the risk reward pendulum swings more and more in the "risk"-zone the more you invest in your religion.
                          (actually even more so with the belif in a religion than with buying lottery tickets: With lottery tickets, the more you buy, the higher your chances of winning (at least enough to make it more of a breakeven and not a total loss) ... with religion your chances of the existence of the god of your religion are fixed ... no amount of time, work or money you spend on the religion will increase the chances of an existence of "your" god)
                          There is no slim chance that God exists. The chance that God doesn't exist is slim. It's one thing to say that you don't believe in God because there is only a slim chance that he exists, but you have to be an atheist to think there is only a slim chance that he exists. That is just utter nonsense.

I'm not going to bother much explaining to you why playing the lotto can be a rational decision, but I will give you a hint and then it's up to you. Everyone has their own utility curves

Comment

• No I didn't say that.
                            Actually, you did.

if you want eternal life, believing in God is a small price to pay
                            But then like their slimy fuehrer, Trumpsters will continue to deny things that are a matter of public record.

It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• maybe there is a god, but he despises gullible idiots who believe things without evidence and sends them to hell

Comment

Working...
                              X