Is free trade good or bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is free trade good or bad?

The basic rationale for free (international) trade, as originally espoused by Adam Smith, was that all countries would ulimately benefit.

The linked article seems interesting as it (correctly) points out that there will be winners and losers in the participating countries.

Free trade has been a dominant part of the post-WW2 global economy, but it is now being challenged.

It's possible to gain and still be the loser in the trade.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Free trade without labour rights is good for making the rich amazingly rich, and keeping the poor poor.
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Free Trade is in-and-of-itself good. (With exceptions ... like you have to restrict trade of people.)

There are other factors that can screw it (or anything) up though. Like lack of worker protections, lack of environmental protections, extractive businesses, corruption, low wages, etc.

Comment

A lot of stuff looks better on paper. Free trade has created growth but not nearly as much as has been claimed and it has harmed the losers.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

It provides a great excuse to blame your country's problems on foreigners.

Comment

It's bad because it causes long, pedantic arguments about what's really "free trade" vs "free markets" vs "capitalism" vs "laissez-faire capitalism" vs some other damn thing.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• ZEE
                ZEE commented
                Editing a comment
                Elok is a nerd.

Weird, a topic where Aeson and I are on one side...
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I can't be right about everything ...

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                  It's bad because it causes long, pedantic arguments about what's really "free trade" vs "free markets" vs "capitalism" vs "laissez-faire capitalism" vs some other damn thing.
                  This is why everything in the world is bad ...

Comment

I guess it's better than unfree trade. But if trade is not free, you can read "free trade!" as imperative.
                    Blah

Comment

Free trade is good. There might be individuals who are harmed but overall the effect is positive. The fashionable Autor at al. study does not show that free trade is bad. It only show that it is possible to find individuals who are harmed by trade. It does not show in any way that free trade is bad overall.
                      The effect of trade is similar to the effect of technological progress. I guess people who think tech progress is bad would be against trade too.

Even sweatshops seem to be good because people seem to prefer them over the alternatives.
                      Quendelie axan!

Comment

Sweatshops aren't good, but they may be somewhat less bad than other imminently existent alternatives.

A worldwide minimum wage and/or earned income credit (phased in) that resulted in all jobs paying decent wages would be good. Worldwide so that rather than a race to the cheapest labor, jobs could go where the workforce was most qualified and transport of materials and goods to market made the most efficient use of energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                          Sweatshops aren't good, but they may be somewhat less bad than other imminently existent alternatives.

A worldwide minimum wage and/or earned income credit (phased in) that resulted in all jobs paying decent wages would be good. Worldwide so that rather than a race to the cheapest labor, jobs could go where the workforce was most qualified and transport of materials and goods to market made the most efficient use of energy.
                          Those who lose jobs in the developed countries don't prefer them to having good jobs and not having their communities turned to rust.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Interpreter?

Comment

Working...
                            X