Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police officers now considered offensive

Transgender cop's uniform keeps her out of event she organized

The city’s first transgender police officer was kept out of an event at the San Diego LGBT Community Center because she was wearing her uniform.

The Transgender Day of Awareness, an annual event to honor those who lost their lives to anti-transgender violence, was held Nov. 17 in the Hillcrest neighborhood.

Officer Christine Garcia, who transitioned last year, helped plan the event and was part of the Police Department security detail that watched over a commemorative march down University Avenue.

After the march, when Garcia tried to enter the event as a member of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer community, she was asked to leave because her uniform could upset others in attendance.

When leaders at the center learned what had happened, they apologized to Garcia and San Diego Police Chief Shelley Zimmerman.

“We do not wish to ever make any community member feel unwelcome … these officers are valued members of our community,” Delores Jacobs, chief executive officer of the LGBT center, said in a statement.

Jacobs said the occurrence was a misunderstanding of the center’s existing policy of inclusion, which seeks to acknowledge the concerns that members of the community may have without excluding others. Leaders have reviewed the policy with its staff since the event.

“While we need to support those that are uncomfortable and honor their reactions to valid and understandable difficult previous experiences, we also need to explain that… our LGBTQ San Diego police liaisons are a valued part of our community,” Jacobs wrote.

Longtime LGBTQ activist, City Commissioner Nicole Murray-Ramirez, said the incident was an outrage.

“Any officer, be they gay or straight, should be welcomed into our community center in uniform,” he said. “They protect our community and neighborhoods and make San Diego a better place.”

Murray-Ramirez said relations between the LGBTQ community and the Police Department have vastly improved over the last several decades, in part because of the work done by liaisons such as Garcia.

“They've really reached out to the community,” he said of the department. “They've gotten to know the community. There are always rotten apples, but on a whole we have progressed greatly. And we're very appreciative of them and that progress.”

The Police Department said Garcia would not be available to comment.

Police Lt. Scott Wahl, a department spokesman, praised Garcia’s work in the LGBTQ community, noting she had recently been honored by several organizations.

“The San Diego Police Department enjoys having a great relationship with the LGBTQ community,” he wrote in a statement. “We look forward to continuing our partnership in keeping our community safe.”
    The city’s first transgender police officer was kept out of an event at the San Diego LGBT Community Center because she was wearing her uniform.

San Diego

Really, the whole LGBTQ debate/etc has really shown a lack of tolerance in the Left.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Yeah the real intolerants are the ones who intolerate intolerance /sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
        Really, the whole LGBTQ debate/etc has really shown a lack of tolerance in the Left.

JM
        This, a thousand times this. Writi g bylaws for your group which specifically bans people who work as police? Charge them with being a hate group and officially disband the organization.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Dinenr should run for mayor, he can make San Diego great again

Comment

I put up a possible analysis of the Trump victory a week ago that racial minorities and the working class were not enthused by the democrats (and their leaders) because the vocal base had been focusing on LBGTQ? rights and not on the needs of the racial minorities and working class. Imran responded that the movement for LBGTQ? rights had developed organically and that the democrat leadership had embraced it a little late, which is true. But doesn't mean that the party movement hadn't been for LBGTQ? and not for racial minorities and the working class. He also responded that they (racial minorities) should have put more effort into pushing the democratic party to address their needs, which maybe be true but should it be?

He reacted strongly against my suggestion that working class issues and racial minorities issues should be focused on instead of bathrooms and T issues.

In any case, I have also observed that it is the LBGTQ? and allies who are the most upset by Trump's victory and not racial minorities who would seem to be the most in danger. The latter seem to view this election as a normal sort of situation (1 step forward 2 steps back). Trump seems more supportive of LBGTQ? rights than traditional republicans after all. This suggests that democrats have been captured to some degree by the LBGTQ? and allies and also that there is a certain narcissism involved (which was also obvious if you heard all the comparisons of the movement for LBGTQ? rights to fighting the Nazis and fighting against Jim Crow).

Impressions and summaries matter. LBGTQ? is mostly an issue for the privilged and has made much more progress in a much shorter amount of time than class issues or racial issues.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

How much time did Hillary Clinton actually spend talking about bathrooms or anything else relating to transgender people during this election campaign?

As far as LGBT having a very negative reaction to this election... Trump's running mate is definitely more homophobic than a typical Republican presidential candidate. And Trump has in the past promised to make his VP "the most powerful vice president in history" and although it's clear we should be taking all of his promises with a grain of salt I think it's reasonable for LGBT people to be concerned.

LGBT is not something that only affects the privileged. Poor people can be gay just as much as anyone else. If anything, a poor gay/trans person is more vulnerable to homophobia than a rich one.
              Last edited by giblets; November 24, 2016, 20:17.

Comment

Hold on there. In the US you are allowed to appear at political events in uniform? I as under the impression at least for the military that is a big nono (neutrality and all).

Also Swiss Fondue is delicious but that is neither here nor there.
                Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

I just ran across this. It seems interesting...

Pundits and political analysts point to the white working class (WWC) as the voting bloc that tipped the 2016 Presidential Election in Donald Trump’s favor. Did Trump know something about this group that progressives and members of the Republican establishment were not privy to? No, says Joan C. Williams, but he was able to appeal to their values such as straight talk, masculinity, and economic independence, in a way that experienced politicians didn’t consider. Class politics drove the 2016 election, and it was cluelessness about the needs of the WWC that drove Trump’s victory. If Democrats want to connect with this group, they need to consider how economics, geography, and the WWC’s relationship with the classes adjacent to them—the poor and white collar workers—influence their values. Not doing so poses additional risk in an already unpredictable political climate.

"At a deeper level, both parties need an economic program that can deliver middle-class jobs. Republicans have one: Unleash American business. Democrats? They remain obsessed with cultural issues. I fully understand why transgender bathrooms are important, but I also understand why progressives’ obsession with prioritizing cultural issues infuriates many Americans whose chief concerns are economic.

Back when blue-collar voters used to be solidly Democratic (1930–1970), good jobs were at the core of the progressive agenda. A modern industrial policy would follow Germany’s path. (Want really good scissors? Buy German.) Massive funding is needed for community college programs linked with local businesses to train workers for well-paying new economy jobs. Clinton mentioned this approach, along with 600,000 other policy suggestions. She did not stress it."

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                    This, a thousand times this. Writi g bylaws for your group which specifically bans people who work as police? Charge them with being a hate group and officially disband the organization.
                    Err, what bylaws? The article just says it was a misunderstanding with event staff.

Comment

When you're destroying people's livelihoods for daring to say no, then it's clear that the pendulum has shifted well in the other direction.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Massive funding is needed for community college programs linked with local businesses to train workers for well-paying new economy jobs.
                        The problem is that education is a massive sinkhole. What we need is education reform. Why can't I do online courses at my own speed? And for a fraction of the cost?
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                          When you're destroying people's livelihoods for daring to say no, then it's clear that the pendulum has shifted well in the other direction.
                          I'm so sorry that cake bakers can't say no to gays or black people

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                            The problem is that education is a massive sinkhole. What we need is education reform. Why can't I do online courses at my own speed? And for a fraction of the cost?
                            Community College is not a massive sinkhole. For-profit and some portion of the mid-ranked non-profit education is the massive sinkhole.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

So if I'm reading the OP right, a single person did something slightly dickish and almost everybody immediately realized it was a mistake and said so? And then we decided to make a big stink about it (police officers are now considered offensive) because we clearly haven't seen enough ridiculousness this year?
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X