De-guiltification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De-guiltification

After americans voted in the horror clown (as some german newspaper said) what is very worrissome is the degultification of politics.

Who was the first to contratutale trump?"
    lepen.

If the french get de-guiltified and think people can be as dumb as they damn well please, they might vote for lepen.

In the two previous run ups, they came to their sense in the last minute and voted for the boring as **** right wing.

Maybe that will not happen this time.
    They might think americans were so dumb and armageddon didn't fall on their heads. It's again allright to be racist, lout, whatever.

get dem darn foreigners out.

Now, that will not spell the end of the EU (if brexit didn't nothing will) but you will have a europe that is filled with quasi mussollinis (you already have them, to lesser extend in hungary and poland).

It's kinda bad

While guilt and shame both exist for a reason, we really shouldn't expect to rely on them as heavily as we do to police social norms. Of late, American progressives have been using them indiscriminately, as a kind of whack-a-mole club to repress any and all disagreement on social policy. The difficulty is that shaming only works, in limited doses, if the one doing the shaming is generally respected (and his/her good opinion desired) by the one being shamed. So, if somebody like Lori tells me he's kind of repulsed by my behavior, I feel bad and reconsider my behavior, because I want to earn his respect. If Ben does it, I don't care. And even Lori, if he kept doing it incessantly, would irritate me into disliking him and no longer bothering to please him.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Well my 75% all powerful oracle powers tell me that the french thing indeed has very good chances of happening.
      Actually it is the logical thing to happen next.

That's why it is maybe good to take care so it doesn't.

Comment

just one whiny song because it's good

Comment

Okay, I'll use my strongest French-election-affecting powers. I'm going to go on FB right now and make a publicly shareable post along the lines of "Merde! Non du voter pas pour la *****e lunatique et conservatif! Zut alors!"
          1011 1100

Comment

That would certaintly be welcomed but some action needs to be taken a bit further up the echelon

Comment

For that, you'd better consult with a Polytubby who actually speaks French or knows something about the country. If you're feeling really gung-ho, you might see if somebody here has actually been to France at some point. A bona fide French citizen might be too much to ask though.
              1011 1100

Comment

I just wish it.
                Obviously I can't pick up the phone and tell Hollande to get his **** together.

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                  I just wish it.
                  Obviously I can't pick up the phone and tell Hollande to get his **** together.
                  Probably should call Alain Juppe instead. Holland is very much on the clock.
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I'm a French citizen! I vote in the elections, even!
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Is there a generally accepted name for this phenomenon of nativist/nationalist resurgence? I think of it as "The Great Reaction," since it sounds classier and more academic than "The Pat Buchanan Money Shot."
                      1011 1100

Comment

I knew nestor had that je ne sais quoi

Comment

with a Polytubby who actually speaks French
                          You rang?
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            While guilt and shame both exist for a reason, we really shouldn't expect to rely on them as heavily as we do to police social norms. Of late, American progressives have been using them indiscriminately, as a kind of whack-a-mole club to repress any and all disagreement on social policy. The difficulty is that shaming only works, in limited doses, if the one doing the shaming is generally respected (and his/her good opinion desired) by the one being shamed. So, if somebody like Lori tells me he's kind of repulsed by my behavior, I feel bad and reconsider my behavior, because I want to earn his respect. If Ben does it, I don't care. And even Lori, if he kept doing it incessantly, would irritate me into disliking him and no longer bothering to please him.
                            Well I don't respect (value the opinion of) neither ben nor lori

Comment

Working...
                            X