So be it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
    GC: I would advise you, over the next couple of months, to get yourself a passport, if you don't have one already. If your guy gets chucked back, you may well want to consider joining him for a spell. The expatriate American's life in Lima, at least, is quite pleasant--I can vouch for that--and likely to be more pleasant still for somebody who speaks Spanish fluently, as I assume you still do. I'd still be in Lima if I'd had any prayer of making it work financially (and if I'd had a support network for raising my boy). You have a good enough degree, from an American institution, that you'd have a good shot at employment in a university setting down there. It doesn't sound like you have dependents to worry about. The internet will let you keep in touch. And gringo money, in Peru at least, goes hella far.

Finally, if Trump actually gets the political muscle to chuck out all the illegals, and make it stick in practice, things are likely to get rather unpleasant for you as well (what with you being a class enemy and all). My horrible fears are a long shot, as even I recognize; I'm morbid. Still, the situation here in the US is likely to take a while to resolve itself, one way or another, and while I'm hardly your biggest fan I see no reason for you to put up with years of unnecessary misery while you have options. So get your passport in order. It's only prudent.

(trying not to sound morbid, honest)
    Who says I don't have a passport already?

Trump isn't going to do **** without the democrats giving hell and back. If the democrats lost seats and were down to 42-43 seats different story. But Trump doesn't have a mandate to do **** and he can't do ****.

Edit: I toned it down a bit.

You are trying to scare me? I don't think so. Trump isn't going to do a thing to me or anyone else, without a huge backflash.

I am a US citizen and my boyfriend will marry me. Trump will not change that. I live in California. Not Mississippi.

Trump will be tossed out of office for trying anything unconstitutional because even Republicans have an interest in keeping undocumented workers here.

I have a very well paying secure job here in California. I will not be going anywhere. And that man will not mess with me, or else I will write a personal letter to Kamala Harris or Jerry Brown.

Trump will do nothing to me. My boyfriend is going nowhere. Period.
    Last edited by Giancarlo; November 11, 2016, 03:04.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• Originally posted by Grandpa Troll View Post
      lol...ya think its wrong of the FBI?

Do you think it was wrong of the IRS failing to either arrest of charge at a minimum that hate spewing Reverend Al Sharpton who owes
      Yes it broke long standing policy and the emails didn't even have anything. They were sitting on it for quite some time. It's quite obvious what their agenda was.

Even Edward Snowden says it takes minutes to hours to see if an entire batch of emails were duplicates.

It was bull****. It was a political move.
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
        Oh yeah = totally agree with that - the unguarded moment, the sneering tone...I got mad. I'm a white church going middle aged male...

If I was in small town heartland middle America that could motivate me to cast my deplorable ballot. She didn't even visit the rust belt states that cost her the election.

I think the other thing the Dems did was fall for the urban rainbow coalition trap. Trump just scooped up rural districts in some states.
        The problem is African Americans weren't motivated enough in the rust belt to vote for her.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
          My grandfather was made to dig his own grave when Nazis came to Kragujevic. 5,000 were machine gunned. He survived hiding under bodies. He escaped into the woods. He linked up with a partisan unit under British command. He fought. He escaped after the war when the Allies were going to sell the Serb Royalists out to the Communists. He got into Italy. When British and American forces then captured the Serbians, he and others dug tunnels out of the camp and escaped. They were surrounded by tanks facing in.

That was the thanks they got for helping fight the Nazis.

But he made. And my grandmother made it. And my great aunt... she didn't. She got shipped back to the Communist regime by the Allied forces and spent 18 years in a Communist prison.

When she got out, she came to America and faced oppression at the hands of white southerners unlike anything the Nazis and Commies did. She said white southerners were worse than both the Nazis and Soviets. Nazis just want you dead. Simple. White Americans from the South want you to be their slave. If you aren't white, anglo, and fundamentalist, you get a burning cross on your lawn.

They lived in Mississippi. **** that state.

Point is. There's hope.

My family made it to Chicago. One of the few places in this country, at the time, that you could settle and be safe... ish.

We're here now... and doing well. My mom was born in a refugee camp and is now a CEO. She earned her spot. She didn't need a hubby prez.

Don't lose that hope. Once you've done that, they win.
          BTW I watched a documentary some time ago about greeks going to these types of states. They had similar problems.

One of them solved them by hiring 10 mafiozos (and I think they were from Chicago!) and they beat the crap out of the ones that were harrassing him. Also think he made them set their houses on fire too.
          They didn't bother him anymore afterwards, it was peaceful

Comment

• I never thought I'd support something like Brexit. But I signed the petition for this:

CALEXIT 3.1 National Divorce starts in California Join the Campaign The Campaign The Founder The Philosophy The History Join CalExit Now Introducing Pacifica The CalExit […]

It is rapidly gaining support. California's voters have been ignored, marginalized and disrespected. So we have every right to put this vote.

We could take the entire west coast. And Vegas for safe measure, as. Vegas could be our capital lol. That's just my idea, but Oregon and Washington state too have movements.

Trump needs to ****ing go.

He doesn't represent the American people, and now I'm hearing Hillary's popular vote total could reach as high as 3% margin of victory, because there are far more ballots outstanding then I thought. Why do we have such little sway while a state like Ohio seems to have more? A disproportionate amount of electors? We should have double the electors, get rid of it completely or simply break away from the country.

Electors could also choose to support Hillary instead and there is a petition for that.

I also hope the investigation in New York reaches a criminal level. It is possible RICO charges may be brought to a grand jury against Trump, according to a law professor at the University of Utah.

Trump was instated by an undemocratic and unfair system that arbitrarily grants certain states more electors disproportionately.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
              I also think one of Hillary's biggest mistakes was calling Donald Trump‘s supporters a “basket of deplorables.”
              She did herself no favors with fence sitters with that.
              True, but mostly because who actually talks like that? If she'd had the balls to call them a bunch of retarded racist-facilitating **** for brains *******s, then maybe she'd have won this.

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                True, but mostly because who actually talks like that? If she'd had the balls to call them a bunch of retarded racist-facilitating **** for brains *******s, then maybe she'd have won this.
                yes, i'm sure doubling down on a bad idea would have worked.

the big problem with the 'basket of deplorables' was its vagueness and ambiguity. she said half of trump's supporters were deplorable. which half? people must have thought, and people who were undecided probably asked themselves, if i vote for trump, does that make me deplorable as well? insulting a large section of the electorate, especially without making it clear whom you are insulting, is normally a very bad idea in politics.
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                  yes, i'm sure doubling down on a bad idea would have worked.

the big problem with the 'basket of deplorables' was its vagueness and ambiguity. she said half of trump's supporters were deplorable. which half? people must have thought, and people who were undecided probably asked themselves, if i vote for trump, does that make me deplorable as well? insulting a large section of the electorate, especially without making it clear whom you are insulting, is normally a very bad idea in politics.
                  The "racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, islamophobic" half

"I know there are only 60 days left to make our case -- and don't get complacent, don't see the latest outrageous, offensive, inappropriate comment and think, well, he's done this time. We are living in a volatile political environment. You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic -- you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people -- now 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks -- they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America."
                  For some reason a lot of white people realized she was talking about them

Comment

• yes, grib, but the meaning of those words is subjective (unlike romney's equally stupid 47% comment, the meaning of which was objective), and thence comes the ambiguity.
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• No, GC, I'm not "trying to scare you," I was acting on the assumption that you were legitimately concerned your SO was going to be ejected, and offering you what I thought was sound advice based on that assumption (and that your feelings for him were comparable to mine for my wife). As that backfired, I will go back to wincing and shaking my head every time you post.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Elok is a nerd.
                        Order of the Fly
                        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                          No, GC, I'm not "trying to scare you," I was acting on the assumption that you were legitimately concerned your SO was going to be ejected, and offering you what I thought was sound advice based on that assumption (and that your feelings for him were comparable to mine for my wife). As that backfired, I will go back to wincing and shaking my head every time you post.
                          That would work if your premise wasn't so ridiculously over the top.

Comment

• GC complaining about someone being over the top.

Comment

• You know what's over the top? Donald Trump commanding the most powerful armed forces in human history. He'll start in about two months. Don't panic, but if you're not keeping your options open, you're a bloody fool.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Exactly.

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X