Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you wish people understood about your area of expertise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you wish people understood about your area of expertise?

As someone who irregularly writes an incredibly boring science/philosophy blog and also now TAs an intro astronomy course, this is a question I've given some thought to. But let's hear from you all, because I don't currently have the attention span to elucidate those thoughts. Note that your "area of expertise" can be whatever you do for a living, whatever you went to school for, or whatever your weird obsession is. (I mean, I am not really an expert on either astronomy or philosophy, despite knowing more than the average schmuck.)
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Uh, I don't have expertise, but as for the pharmacy: doctors' handwriting really is as terrible as they say, and many types of medicine have very similar names but wildly different effects. You're always just one hurried staff member's squint away from killing a major organ.

Also, those homeopathic drugs that are really just water? Those are actually the more benign type of homeopathy. The really bad ones are actually pharmacologically active in some way, but nobody's properly tested their effects or (more importantly) their interactions. Drugs interact in weird and often terrifying ways. Common garlic, for example, can potentially make birth control less effective.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I wish people understood how applying back and forth motion to trees helps them to grow bigger. In doing so they become better carbon sinks and help avert global catastrophe. This is why it's so important for me to rock gently back and forth in a hammock strung between two trees ... so pay me for doing it already!

Comment

Political science?

Yea... I think some have had enough of that this year lol.
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
          Uh, I don't have expertise, but as for the pharmacy: doctors' handwriting really is as terrible as they say, and many types of medicine have very similar names but wildly different effects. You're always just one hurried staff member's squint away from killing a major organ.

Also, those homeopathic drugs that are really just water? Those are actually the more benign type of homeopathy. The really bad ones are actually pharmacologically active in some way, but nobody's properly tested their effects or (more importantly) their interactions. Drugs interact in weird and often terrifying ways. Common garlic, for example, can potentially make birth control less effective.
          Babies are terrifying.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
            I wish people understood how applying back and forth motion to trees helps them to grow bigger. In doing so they become better carbon sinks and help avert global catastrophe. This is why it's so important for me to rock gently back and forth in a hammock strung between two trees ... so pay me for doing it already!
            same principle applies in other plants

i encourage stem movement for the same reason

forces it to be stronger/bigger

for me, means bigger nutrient pipeline to flower sites
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

as for OP

uhm, maybe just the medical facts

besides that, i want people to know less

makes what i can do more valuable
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Parents, I have 30 other students and I'm having you come in not because your child is 15th out of 30th. I don't have time for that. I'm having you come in because your child is either my worst or next to worst student, is failing and will fail unless they get help now.

I'd rather they get the help they need now rather than fail at the end of the year and you having to pay to put them in summer school. *sigh*.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                  same principle applies in other plants

i encourage stem movement for the same reason

forces it to be stronger/bigger

for me, means bigger nutrient pipeline to flower sites
                  We keep a desk fan sweeping across the seedlings for our garden to strengthen them. That way they don't get all gangly and are less likely to die after the transplant.

Comment

I think you guys are missing the important aspect of my post. You can't very well string a hammock between seedlings

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                      Babies are terrifying.
                      can confirm
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I think you guys are missing the important aspect of my post. You can't very well string a hammock between seedlings
                        They don't understand the most important point of your area of expertise.

Comment

I wish they did ...

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Sure you can.

A tiny hammock.

For crickets.

Comment

Working...
                              X