Good thing or farc(e)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good thing or farc(e)?

Not that I know much about it, but hey, maybe we're already living in a post-fact world, so that shouldn't hinder anyone

Is the FARC right in making peace or is this a betrayal to their original cause? Discuss.

The Colombian government and left-wing Farc rebels have signed a historic agreement that formally brings an end to 52 years of armed conflict.

The rebel leader Timoleon Jimenez, known as Timochenko, apologised to "all the victims of the conflict" and was greeted by cheers and applause.

He said: "I would like to ask for forgiveness for all the pain that we have caused during this war."

Guests dressed in white at the ceremony in Cartagena, to symbolise peace.

The last of the major Cold War conflicts killed 260,000 people and left more than six million internally displaced.

(...)
    full: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-37477202
    Blah

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
    Not that I know much about it, but hey, maybe we're already living in a post-fact world, so that shouldn't hinder anyone

Is the FARC right in making peace or is this a betrayal to their original cause?
    Yes
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

It's awesome news, and my Columbian friends are desperately hoping it will work out as intended.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
        It's awesome news, and my Columbian friends are desperately hoping it will work out as intended.
        What about your Colombian friends?
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

He probably doesn't have any of those.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I'm the only Columbian friend he has...
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Fidel Castro's 1956 leftist insurgency set the tone in Latin America for decades. He died on Friday, the day after Colombians signed a peace deal to end the last major uprising.

I have to admit to have long forgotten what FARC was fighting for.
              Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Did they mention it in that article?
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
                  What about your Colombian friends?
                  Only just saw this. What do you mean what about them? Like I said, they're desperately hoping the new agreement with Farc actually lasts and that peace returns to the country at long last.

#edit, doh, spelling nazi..

Comment

Wow, the people rejected the agreement.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

For ****s sake, 50.2%.. It seems 2016 is the year of insane political votes.

Comment

Hopefully they don't fall back into decades of fighting. I read that for now the gov-Farc cease-fire will remain in place.
                        Blah

Comment

To be fair it sounds like both the government and FARC see it as a done deal. Can see them making some tiny tweak and pushing it back to the vote. Only 40% of the population bothered voting, so this might shock out a bigger turnout next time.

Comment

A Region Aflame: At the peak in the 1970s and '80s, nearly every country in Latin America had a guerrilla movement, and some had more than one. (Special mention goes to Costa Rica, the only Latin American country that doesn't have an army and is generally regarded as the only one that hasn't had an insurgency in the past 60 years.)
                            hmm

Comment

I will post every now and then...

Torrential rains from what I have heard depressed the turn out. This could have turned out differently. they will just have to go back to the drawing board.

So blame mother nature. They should have delayed the vote for that reason.
                              For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Working...
                              X