No announcement yet.

EU Referendum - La Deuxième Partie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If only that were true at least I could have a moment's rest and not be working 24/7.

Your drunken thread said it all oerdin.

I'm really sorry

Comment

• Can Aeson transfer the last page of drivel posts to a new "patty cakes for dinner" thread?
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Martin’s already lost almost everything – he voted leave to spread the pain

“Leaving the EU might make my life ****, but it’s **** anyway,” Martin Parker, a 62-year-old jobseeker says, bluntly. “So how much worse can it get?”

On the outskirts of north London, sitting in his rented box room (“the size of a cell”, as he puts it), Parker could be said to represent a section of the country the remain camp failed to reach. The voters who weren’t swayed by fears of the economy failing – not because they didn’t believe them – but because, as Parker puts it to me: “I’ve got nothing to lose.”

Through the 1980s and 90s, Parker worked as a precision engineer, making aircraft engine parts and suspension units for tanks. But work dried up and he bounced between signing on and taking casual work: from computer programming to office work. His last job – selling studio glass in an art gallery in Piccadilly – ended in 2011 and he’s been out of work since.

“Unemployment, benefits … it doesn’t resemble how it used to be,” he says. “You could do a short contract job and you knew you could sign on after ‘cos it was simple. Nowadays, it’s so hard … Their approach isn’t to support you. It’s to get rid of you.”

“Get rid of you”, to Parker, has come to mean stopping the money he needs to live on. Over three years, his jobseeker’s allowance (JSA) has been sanctioned on six separate occasions. “Sanction on top of sanction,” he says. “Like a layer cake.”

The misdemeanours varied: an “inadequate” CV; being late for an appointment (“I was always early,” he says); or a failure to provide information. “Petty things”, Parker says. “Things you hadn’t actually done or things you were supposed to do but they hadn’t told you.”

At one point, his JSA had only been reinstated for 19 days before it was stopped again. But in 2014 the final hit came: he missed a Jobcentre interview – the letter informing him he had to attend arrived on the same day, he says – and was handed a three-year benefit sanction. Or a “156-week termination” of JSA, as the official notification put it.

As the sanctions started, he says, “everyone piled in”. By 2011, with his rent rising and his housing benefit also suspended each time his JSA was stopped, he gave up his two-bed flat and moved into a shared house: eight adults crammed over three floors. “We’re all squashed up,” he says. “It’s like being suffocated.”

Parker has now been here for almost five years but barely anything is unpacked. There’s no room. Instead, he lives out of boxes and bags – five stacks mounted on the floor. “You develop a good memory of where everything is,” he says.

Many of his possessions are gone, sold to get by. Two years into his three-year benefit sanction, he survives by “begging for small favours”: cleaning someone’s garage in return for food, say. Friends give him meals or bits of cash.

“It’s funny,” he laughs, quietly. “They’re all foreign. Polish. Italians. No one English has helped me.”

The government, he says, wouldn’t mind if he starved. Something as seemingly minor as council tax changes is for Parker, not only less money to live on but evidence “the whole establishment’s determined to make my life as ghastly as possible”.

As of last year, Parker’s council has increased his council tax by 130%. He’s been taken to court twice for non-payment and has just had a third summons.

“I haven’t even got a cupboard,” he says. “There’s no possibility of doing anything different. There’s nowhere to go.”

The “take back control” slogan of the leave campaign seems increasingly fitting. As well as concerns over immigration or sovereignty, it spoke to a lurking, widespread feeling of powerlessness, betrayal and anger.

Parker wouldn’t normally have bothered to vote – “I couldn’t really care less about the EU” – but last week he walked through a rainstorm to put his cross next to leave. His vote was not only a sign that he, like many, had no prosperous future to risk but a message to the elites that he feels have let him down.

“People are sick and tired of being ignored,” he says. “I don’t suppose I’m the only one to use this opportunity. It was a chance to kick the whole establishment where it hurt, for us to send pain the other way. And we took it.”
        i think that many people used the vote just to stick two fingers up the establishment.

also, how is a three year benefits sanction even possible?
        Last edited by C0ckney; July 1, 2016, 04:11.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• I'm also curious about how in the hell someone with precision engineering skills and programming experience has been totally unable to find a job for 5 years. Hell, its **** but you can sign up with an agency and have a job in a warehouse within about a week at a pinch. I suspect this is a rather one sided story we're hearing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
            Can Aeson transfer the last page of drivel posts to a new "patty cakes for dinner" thread?
            You all are just mad at how badly Paiktis is PWNing your asses.
            Order of the Fly
            Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
              Can Aeson transfer the last page of drivel posts to a new "patty cakes for dinner" thread?
              Paiktiss has an unhealthy obsession and a tendency to spam up every thread with stupid **** while he is drunk. Sadly, he is always drunk.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• But tender

Comment

• So Farage jumps on the Johnson strategy of, having taken the UK out of the EU, running for the hills and wanting nothing to do with implementing the leave process.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• in fairness to farage, considering that he isn't in parliament, he wouldn't have had much of a role in any case. also, unlike boris, i don't think anyone can argue that he didn't really want to leave the EU. he's done what he set out to do and decided to call it a day. i thought his comments on UKIP's best chance being attracting labour voters were absolutely correct; there's no future in being the sort of right libertarian party that carswell envisages. moreover, this transformation has been underway for some time. expect them to try to outflank labour from the both the right and the left (see the front national for more details).
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• AAHZ will be devastated

Otoh the Farage guy could still unresign, as he did last yr.
                      Blah

Comment

• Farage is a living legend.
                        Order of the Fly
                        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• I guess the next thing will be a Scottish campaign bus tour using a big red double-decker which has something like "we don't want to send a gazillion ducats per week to unelected royals in London anymore". I actually don't know if they send anything at all to support the royals, and yeah it's just a constitutional monarchy, but this should not hold anyone back.
                          Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                            Paiktiss has an unhealthy obsession and a tendency to spam up every thread with stupid **** while he is drunk. Sadly, he is always drunk.
                            This isn't true. Sometimes he's sober and can't remember what he posted.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• let me just put this here

If after voting to leave the European Union the UK is feeling lonely and in need of the company of another community of nations, it should consider the AU.

The UK has been exhibiting qualities that are very familiar to Africans, including "tribalism".
                              In our series of letters from African journalists, media trainer Joseph Warungu takes a satirical look at why, in the aftermath of the UK referendum, Britain could now qualify for a place in the African Union.
                              Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

• I guess the next thing will be a Scottish campaign bus tour using a big red double-decker which has something like "we don't want to send a gazillion ducats per week to unelected royals in London anymore". I actually don't know if they send anything at all to support the royals, and yeah it's just a constitutional monarchy, but this should not hold anyone back.
                                They are bringing back the Jacobites?
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X