The Cruz Missile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cruz Missile

Not much time to participate here these days, but I give you this (not seeing it discussed at a quick glance).

Cruz’s campaign website describes the plan this way: “For businesses, the corporate income tax will be eliminated. It will be replaced by a simple Business Flat Tax at a single 16 percent rate. The current payroll tax system will be abolished, while maintaining full funding for Social Security and Medicare.” The plan includes a temporary 10 percent tax rate for overseas corporate profits that are repatriated into the United States.

Cruz imposes his 16 percent value-added tax on all business profits less capital investment. Unlike the current tax code, Cruz’s plan would not allow deductions for wages, operational expenses, interest, and the like: significant deductions that would now be eliminated.

Last October, Kyle Pomerleau and Michael Schuyler of the Tax Foundation published an analysis of the Cruz plan. “Its base,” they write, “is identical in economic terms to that of the credit-invoice VAT seen in many OECD countries.”[
    Kyle and Michael calculate that Cruz’s elimination of payroll taxes and corporate income taxes would reduce federal revenues by $12.7 trillion and $4.4 trillion, respectively, on both a static and dynamic basis (i.e., taking into account how taxes affect economic growth).

However, Cruz’s VAT would increase federal revenue by $27.5 trillion on a dynamic basis, and $25.4 trillion on a static basis: an enormous gusher of money.

What say you the people of Apolyton, especially US-ians, given that this really only affects you?

Looking from far away, this looks like a very sensible plan, especially given the current tax quagmire you have to deal with on regular basis, it also addresses the gov revenue gap you have been having last decade and a half.

GOP corporate overlords are bound to be very unhappy with this move, it would remove a huge avenue for gaining unfair advantage by corporate backers via the tax code.

Ted Cruz - the corporate enemy - haven't seen that coming.

It would be kind of funny if the next elections become the selection between Cruz and Sanders.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

I'm for a straight flat tax, for all.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Cruz imposes his 16 percent value-added tax on all business profits less capital investment. Unlike the current tax code, Cruz’s plan would not allow deductions for wages, operational expenses, interest, and the like: significant deductions that would now be eliminated.
      Wow... it's almost a tax on revenue.

Comment

What say you the people of Apolyton, especially US-ians, given that this really only affects you?
        VAT if, and only if they eliminate the income tax. If it's good enough for Texas, it's good enough for the United states as a whole.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
          Wow... it's almost a tax on revenue.
          Please take an accounting class.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

Comment

Value-added does not mean revenue dip****.

Comment

Value-added does not mean revenue dip****.
                And...?

Comment

Comment

What does he plan to do to individual income taxes? This plan is largely equivalent to a 16% VAT, which would raise substantial new money. On its own it is a significant tax increase.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Looks like he is saying 10% individual income tax, flat after the first 36k in earnings. What about capital gains and dividends/interest?
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Details of the Plan

Individual Income Tax Changes
                        •Consolidates the current seven tax brackets into one bracket at 10 percent on all personal income (wages, salaries, interest, capital gains, dividends, and business income).
                        •Increases the Standard Deduction from $6,300 ($12,600 married filing jointly) to $10,000 ($20,000 married filing jointly) while retaining the personal exemption.
                        •Eliminates all itemized deductions except for the home mortgage interest deduction and the charitable deduction. Places a tighter cap on the home mortgage interest deduction.
                        •Eliminates the Alternative Minimum Tax.
                        •Eliminates the Net Investment Income Tax of 3.8 percent and the Medicare surtax of 0.9 percent, which were passed as part of the Affordable Care Act.
                        •Eliminates all individual tax credits except for the Child Tax Credit and the Earned Income Tax Credit. Expands the Earned Income Tax Credit by 20 percent.
                        •Preserves the exclusions from income of pension contributions, employer-provided health premiums, and imputed rent, similar to current law.
                        •Creates a new “universal savings account” that allows up to $25,000 of tax-deductible saving.
                        •Eliminates the payroll tax.

Business Tax Changes
                        •Eliminates the corporate income tax.
                        •Provides a temporary tax holiday at a 10 percent rate (instead of a full 35 percent rate) on any deferred foreign profits that are repatriated.

Other Changes
                        •Enacts a broad-based, 16 percent “Business Transfer Tax” or value-added tax. This tax is levied on all business profits, less capital investment. This would include the payroll of business, government, and non-profit institutions, as well as net imports. The tax would exempt from taxation the purchase of health insurance. A business transfer tax is also often known as a subtraction-method value-added tax. While its base is identical in economic terms to that of the credit-invoice VAT seen in many OECD countries, it is calculated from corporate accounts, not on individual transactions. [2]
                        •Eliminates the estate tax.

It would boost growth and increase wages.

Comment

Flat means flat to me, KH.
                          Whatever that rate is, no deductions. Flat tax.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Eliminating payroll taxes would be a good thing. Need to take income taxes with them. A VAT of some sort is good, not sure if this is that sort or not.

Comment

Increasing the earned income credit is a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X