Education, politics and war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Education, politics and war

We are doomed when more and more of the voters in the most powerful country on earth are becoming bloodthirsty buffoons.

In its poll, Public Policy Polling asked the 532 Republicans: “Would you support or oppose bombing Agrabah?” While 57 per cent of responders said they were not sure, 30 per cent said they supported bombing it. Only 13 per cent opposed it.
    Public Policy Polling also polled Democratic primary voters: only 19 per cent of them said they would support bombing Agrabah, while 36 per cent said they would oppose it.

Is it that only the uneducated ones are still bothered to go out and vote, or is the whole education system so poor that a majority cannot figure out that they have been asked a trick question.

I like how it is phrased "only" 19 percent of Dems would bomb it. You put them together and you get a quarter of voting population who would bomb, no problem... injure, disfigure, kill, it will resolve stuff.

There are some other noteworthy points from that poll, about the "quality" of the voter and their opinions, but we are screwed, either way even half way around the world, as this is not going to get better - ever - just worse.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Why am I not surprised by this?

Comment

Your expectations of US voters have already been set at an appropriate level.
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

To be fair, they probably mostly want to kill Iago for the annoying voice. But seriously, Jafar and Iago are terrorists and the lamp is a weapon of mass destruction.

Comment

as we can see from our own pro-war posters here, many people are wholly ignorant about such matters, yet they still vote and help to provide political cover for policies that make the world worse.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

It is some comfort to me that people from powerless nations are just as stupid.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

^ exhibit a.
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Even your signature is stupid. "The Christian way ... left untried"? You are a moron. At least get a signature that isn't stupid and false.

Comment

in a thread about ignorance too. i think i'm suffering from an irony overdose.

Comment

You are suffering from stupidly. If you think Christianity is the right way, why haven't you tried it. Or have you?

Comment

your stupidity doesn't make me suffer, i find it rather amusing. although, admittedly, finding new ways to call you an imbecile does get a little tiresome after a while so i think i'll leave it there.

Comment

You are most likely the stupidest person that I've ever met. Unfortunately you'll likely convince someone stupider than you to become a suicide bomber, if you haven't already.

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
                          Your expectations of US voters have already been set at an appropriate level.
                          Unfortunately, I imagine we would get similar results in a poll of Australian voters.

Dumb Aussies also tend to bomb whatever the dumb Yanks are bombing.

Comment

This stuff makes people sound dumb, but there is a slightly more prosaic explanation. People don't think Agrabah is real; they likely don't remember the name of the city from Aladdin at all. They don't recognize the name, but it sounds vaguely like some Middle East hellhole, and they assume they're being asked a question about something topical rather than a made up city from a Disney movie. Thus, they answer what they have a decent reason to suspect is the real question: "Do you support bombing Middle East hellhole X (which is probably a source of terrorism)?" It makes sense why a fair number of people would say yes.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Yep, a third of Republicans will automatically rubber-stamp whatever military action a Republican politician proposes.

Comment

Working...
                              X