No announcement yet.

Lethal school . . . stabbing? slashing? fencing? . . . in Sweden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's why Michael Dorn Worf preferred the mek'leth.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I like the theory that was brought forward in this thread:

[–]StrekApol7979Ensign 23 Punkte
      Or, too many Klingons were dying in duel , so they make them use the least effective possible design to discourage violence.

[–]ebertsCrewman 19 Punkte
      I think this is the best theory. At some juncture, someone in the Klingon Empire must have realized that if everyone keeps fighting each other to the death for honor, they'll all be dead. The Bat'leth was designed to be a cumbersome, difficult to wield weapon to be used in these honor battles. But secretly it was educational, it taught the combatants that victory can come at a cost. It's easy to hurt yourself with this weapon, incurring both injury and ridicule, so you'd better be really good at it and really sure you want to fight. This curbed the honor based battles while teaching the warriors that there is glory in battle, but preparation and wisdom must balance passion and strength.

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I always figured the batleth was a troll on the trekkies, to get force them to spend all their time defending the indefensible and thus keep them out of adult conversations. It looks cool but is clearly (to anyone not blinded by excessive fandom) a silly design for a weapon.
        The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
        - A. Lincoln

Comment

Yeah, I think basically they wanted something distinctly exotic, totally unlike any human weapon. That is, something that nobody in thousands of years of blacksmithing across three continents had ever bothered with. Sadly, the only reason for nobody to have bothered with it is because the design fundamentally sucks. Unless Klingons had a dramatically different anatomy from humans, like maybe if they were fifteen feet tall so the batleth was just like a sickle to them.

Proteus, cf. "[–]Baronzemo 1 point 13 days ago

Perhaps it is a limited use weapon in a real battle, it could be used as an initial stabbing weapon,(much like a spear) and dropped. Due to it taking a lot of expertise to wield without the result being self-inflicted injury. The Roman Javelin bent after use and had to be repaired before it was used again. The Bat`leth could be like that. Klingon battle formations could be designed for its use."

I love the ingenuity involved in pardoning a warrior civilization for its invention of an incredibly crappy weapon.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Obviously they use a stupid weapon just to show off how skilled they are
            "look at me I can still kick your ass even with this handicap"

Comment

Alternatively, perhaps the Klingons are such a violent race because they're really, really dumb, or at least uncreative (like, they got a double pick of the version the Klackons got in Moo2, in exchange for getting all the combat buffs). So Kahless made the first batleth by dropping a hair into a volcano by accident, and for years after nobody thought to maybe improve the design a little by changing it in basically any way imaginable. Is there maybe an episode where some mischievous Q-type being travels back in time and drops a gladius hispanica at a random spot on Qonos? Then the sudden availability of a melee weapon that's actually very good at killing people causes a radical change in Klingon history.
              1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by grumbler View Post
                I always figured the batleth was a troll on the trekkies, to get force them to spend all their time defending the indefensible and thus keep them out of adult conversations. It looks cool but is clearly (to anyone not blinded by excessive fandom) a silly design for a weapon.

Kind of like lightsabers and warsies.
                Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                  Alternatively, perhaps the Klingons are such a violent race because they're really, really dumb, or at least uncreative (like, they got a double pick of the version the Klackons got in Moo2, in exchange for getting all the combat buffs). So Kahless made the first batleth by dropping a hair into a volcano by accident, and for years after nobody thought to maybe improve the design a little by changing it in basically any way imaginable. Is there maybe an episode where some mischievous Q-type being travels back in time and drops a gladius hispanica at a random spot on Qonos? Then the sudden availability of a melee weapon that's actually very good at killing people causes a radical change in Klingon history.
                  You spelled Qo'noS wrong.

Originally posted by Thoth View Post

Kind of like lightsabers and warsies.
                  The lightsaber is an excellent weapon if you have supernatural reflexes and can see the future.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

If the perp was Muslim, Nikolai would post some bull**** about the "war on Christians" tm
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Sava's contribution to this forum in a nutshell.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                        The lightsaber is an excellent weapon if you have supernatural reflexes and can see the future.
                        It looks cool but is clearly (to anyone not blinded by excessive fandom) a silly design for a weapon
                        Warsies.
                        Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                        I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                          You spelled Qo'noS wrong.
                          The gladius also caused an orthographic renaissance. They realized random apostrophes and needless capitalization were just dumb.
                          1011 1100

Comment

Umm it's gladivs

Comment

So... are Muslims the new Klingons? Or Swedes? Could someone summarize...
                              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post
                                Warsies.
                                Never heard that term before. Think you might spend too much time trolling Star Wars fans.

Comment

Working...
                                X