No announcement yet.

Lethal school . . . stabbing? slashing? fencing? . . . in Sweden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoa. Breaking news! They've just released the attacker's identity, and . . . guys, it's a bit of a shock, I'm warning you:

Spoiler:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	swedish_chef.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	9102067
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Elok is a nerd.
      Order of the Fly
      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

The Swedish chef bit was almost funny.

I think if you didn't try as hard, maybe?
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

A sword-wielding attacker who killed a teacher and a pupil at a school in Sweden had "racist motives", police believe.

turns out he was a racist (apart from being mentaly cookoo)

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
            Aye ... if I am direct witness of an Amok run, I would choose one with the sword a thousand time over one with a gun.
            Especially if I can run faster than the attacker and have a better endurance than him.
            A running man can slit many throats in one night -- Klingon proverb
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
              If one has a sword you take a chair and bang him on the head with it. good luck if he has a gun
              If he has a gun you can shoot him in the face ... if you have a gun.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                It now appears the suspect (who has died) might have been some sort of neo-Nazi type. Hard to say. But he posed for photos before going on a rampage: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34602621

Perhaps he watched the first Hellboy movie too many times, then? I really can't think of many Nazi-swordfight images in media we can blame this on for a pat answer.
                Don't they have enough sense to leave a manifesto?
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                  A running man can slit many throats in one night -- Klingon proverb
                  Bat'leths are only effective weapons because the script says they are -- Klingon proverb
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

They appear to be basically giant cleavers with two very inconveniently placed handles. I bet they'd be pretty good if you had some gigantic-ass cloves of garlic to mince--lots of good rocking action there. Ditto if all your enemies were lying on the ground. Actually swinging it, I imagine you'd jab yourself a lot with the pointy parts by accident.
                    1011 1100

Comment

Actually cleaving someone with it seems to be difficult IMHO considering how much the Center of Mass lies in front of the handles
                      (would expect the Bat´leth to turn around in your hands when you actually hit someone with it (unless you have a really strong grip)... so that you rather hit the person with the dull side instead with the sharp blade)
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I wish we had more "durr ban all knives" type gun advocates here
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Sweden obviously needs more guns. If the other students had been armed with guns, the swordsman would never have been able to kill those two kids.
                          Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Yes, because we'll only give the guns to nice people.

Comment

Originally posted by NICE MOBIUS View Post
                              Yes, because we'll only give the guns to nice people.
                              So you are saying that you will have all the guns?
                              The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
                              - A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                                Actually cleaving someone with it seems to be difficult IMHO considering how much the Center of Mass lies in front of the handles
                                (would expect the Bat´leth to turn around in your hands when you actually hit someone with it (unless you have a really strong grip)... so that you rather hit the person with the dull side instead with the sharp blade)
                                It turns out batleths are different from my mental conception of them; I was picturing them as having a smoother, convex edge and being somewhat smaller. A trip to Wiki reveals that they have pointless (har!) spiky bits, are five damn feet long, and the handles are on the convex side for some reason. Awkward to swing effectively, heavy without a good point to leverage that weight with, difficult to sheathe, and great for getting stuck in doors, small spaces and (less likely) corpses. Perhaps the most surprising aspect of the whole page is that the guy who designed them had martial arts experience.
                                1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                                X