Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Mexico Court Orders Mother to Take Religious Counseling or Lose Custody of Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by My Hubby Loves Civ View Post
    Wouldn't counseling accepting personal responsibility for an individual's irresponsible choices be more helpful? Whether for drunk drivers, parenting classes, etc.

My point being....why does religion need to be thrown into nonreligious faces if it is not ultimately to convert. There are private counselors that are quite secular, no religion pushed. Why not allow a choice?
    It's a matter of life or death. Who do you think recommends 12 step? Mental heath professionals, because it's their best hope.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

But AA and its various successors are not the only mutual-aid groups available to support people in recovery. For the past few decades, several other groups have tried to offer alternatives to those who want something other than a 12-step approach. These alternative groups historically have struggled to gain a significant following, but with the advent of new technologies and the rise of a new generation of people in treatment who want more control over their recovery, these groups believe the time has come for social workers and other behavioral health professionals to accept them as part of the mainstream continuum of recovery services.

Changes Ahead?
      In today’s climate of technological change where information about various approaches to recovery is easily accessible, social workers and other treatment professionals have an ethical obligation to learn about alternative approaches to recovery, says Tom Horvath, PhD, ABPP, president of SMART Recovery’s board of directors. “People need to know that there’s a diversity of paths,” says Horvath, who also is president of Practical Recovery, a San Diego-based provider of non–12-step addiction treatment. “At this point, it is the responsibility of every addiction professional to find out what these groups are about.”

Source: http://www.socialworktoday.com/archive/111113p12.shtml

Comment

My grandfather had over 25 years of sobriety in AA before he passed away. You won't find that track record anywhere else.

Comment

Honestly, congratulations to your dad! I am not saying AA is not helpful. What I am pointing out is that there are viable alternatives and our legal system should recognize that. Whether it is for AA or for parent counseling. Freedom from oppressive religion was created due to the oppressive nature of the religion of the old world churches.

Comment

The driving force behind religious tolerance was commerce. It's religious tolerance. Atheism is tolerated in the US. But if you're an alcoholic you need help ... the best help. Religious intolerance isn't really important at that point.

If you ask me people are getting to be extremists regarding religious freedom. It's supposed to be for a higher good, not something that is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
              You are a spiteful person
              indeed
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X