No announcement yet.

Getting a better job...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How will that get me closer to investment banking or asset management?

I can't work to work. I need to add progression to my resume.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Wait, wait. For years, you kept quitting banking jobs to take another shot at becoming a Marine officer. We said GAAAAH DON'T DO THAT, but you did, and you made it . . . into the reserves. Which we thought was an odd thing to jettison a series of potential careers for, but hey, it's your dream. Now you're telling us that you have the option to switch to active duty, but you're not going to, because now you want a banking job. What?
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Charlotte, Richmond, and Minneapolis are headquarters of large banks (namely BofA, Capital One, and Wells Fargo), not all the banks are in NY/NJ...have you considered those places? HC works for Capital One in McLean, VA.

Comment

• Wells Fargo's corporate HQ is in San Francisco.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• I have a girlfriend in NYC.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              I have a girlfriend in NYC.
              Take her with you. If she earns more than you, become a gigolo instead.
              Graffiti in a public toilet
              Do not require skill or wit
              Among the **** we all are poets
              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• She's a PhD student. She's not moving.

Realistically, there's worlds of opportunities in the New York and New Jersey area. For me to move elsewhere is silly.

Comment

• You do not currently live in the NY/NJ area.
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• That's why I said for me to move elsewhere

Comment

• have you considered becoming a rapper?
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                        have you considered becoming a rapper?
                        Or a jihadi?
                        Graffiti in a public toilet
                        Do not require skill or wit
                        Among the **** we all are poets
                        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• On reflection, 50 applications a week may not be possible whether the opportunities exist or not. It can take a long frigging time to fill out an application, even if you have all the actually relevant info handy; inevitably they ask for weird crap like a reference's street address, or have required fields that don't apply so you have to puzzle some way past the computer. They may have an upload-a-resume option, but the parser software is always crap so you spend almost as much time correcting as you would have entering manually. Employers may ask you to enter some information twice, or jump through utterly bizarre hoops or tax-credit questionnaires. And don't forget setting up yet another damn web account for every application.

Al has a full-time job, whatever is going on with the Marines, and a GF. Also, eating and sleeping. Even if you cut out rec time and all employers have gentle, humane web apps, 50 applications is about 25 hours.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Goldman Sachs has a veterans integration program.

I want to make sure I'm not a complete idiot. Do I just send an email saying I'm interested in registering? They don't need anything else, right?
                            Last edited by Al B. Sure!; October 20, 2015, 07:37.

Comment

• Correct. Just send a simple email to express interest in registering and ask for details.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• How does this resume look? I brought back my restaurant management jobs. The chronology is off with later part-time jobs appearing towards the end of the resume but I thought it more appropriate to list more functional full-time jobs first even if they
                                Last edited by Al B. Sure!; October 20, 2015, 07:38.

Comment

Working...
                                X