Getting a better job...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a better job...

I'm a state school kid working as an accountant at a sleepy bank, with no internships and no connections. I know what I'm capable of and I have demonstrated myself previously (see letter of recommendation and fitness reports). Unfortunately, I cannot even get phone interviews for positions.

I would appreciate advice to improve my resume/cover letter, as well as general guidance on networking and applying. Thank you.

Resume:

Example Cover Letter (internal position):

Letter of Recommendation from previous commander:

Fitness reports:

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

With no connections I guess you're stuck being a lowly cog in the corporate machine

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
      With no connections I guess you're stuck being a lowly cog in the corporate machine
      Can I attend college career fairs as a 30 year old non-student? Where do I meet recruiters? Are my alumni group and a veterans group on LinkedIn my only options?

The latter can be useful. Just searching "Goldman Sachs Associate Marine" has come up with a ton of Marine officers in the same vet group I am in. I'll have to write an email introducing myself. I'll post something soon. Any recommendations on what I should say? Much? A little?
      Last edited by Al B. Sure!; August 5, 2015, 21:18.
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I'm not really in a great situation (not going to give details since this is a hostile environment) so I'm not in a position to offer much advice. But one thing you could try is developing more skills like programming or learning a language.

Comment

al, yes i know how it is. my advice would be to get out of the bull**** corporate world where you will always be at a disadvantage.

however, if you are determined to play the game, then it would be a good idea to play it better. you don't have any contacts, trying making some. you could get involved with some social or sporting activities, whatever it is that middle class corporate drones do that you also enjoy and make some friends that way. are there no opportunities for advancement at your current place of work? are there company events that may allow you to meet a wider range of people?

ah, saw your edit. that sounds like a good start.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

maybe aeson is looking for someone to balance the check book ??

Comment

ming must be getting old... probably some new blood is needed in the book keeping room

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                you don't have any contacts, trying making some. you could get involved with some social or sporting activities, whatever it is that middle class corporate drones do that you also enjoy and make some friends that way.
                Where do I meet these people? Corporate events are not going to be attractive because, well see below.

are there no opportunities for advancement at your current place of work? are there company events that may allow you to meet a wider range of people?
                No there aren't. One of my co-workers has been with the company 10 years and is only one position higher than me. Even an average performer would advance farther than that at most companies.

It's a sleepy bank. Here's some comments from glassdoor:

Low pay. No real super stars. The basic attitude is that most are complacent in their roles. A better place for an older generation.
                hardly any opportunity for advancement - promotions and merit increases are nonexistent.
                “Not a place to be if you have a brain ”
                You get the idea. It's a huge bank, founded by Alexander Hamilton in 1784, with $1.7 trillion in assets under management, $28.5 trillion under custody. But it's a sleepy bank for mediocre performers content with an easy job.

Comment

as in life... luck is part of it. me... I do what few can go to school for. me, right place at the right time. luck all the way!

one line advice - learn how to code. endless $$$ there.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                    Where do I meet these people? Corporate events are not going to be attractive because, well see below.

No there aren't. One of my co-workers has been with the company 10 years and is only one position higher than me. Even an average performer would advance farther than that at most companies.

It's a sleepy bank. Here's some comments from glassdoor:

You get the idea. It's a huge bank, founded by Alexander Hamilton in 1784, with $1.7 trillion in assets under management, $28.5 trillion under custody. But it's a sleepy bank for mediocre performers content with an easy job.
                    well if it's responsible for that much money, then it must be a big organisation with lots of high level people, but of course you know the situation there better than i.

as for where to meet people, this is what i do socially: i'm a member of the local resident's association, i play cricket for the local club, i take part in a book club (though i attend it quite infrequently these days), i'm in a few groups involved with radical politics of one kind or another, i volunteer for some NGOs now and again, and i do some miscellaneous things with the expat community. now my aim isn't to make contacts for work opportunities, but there's no reason why i couldn't if i wanted to. but even though i'm not looking for work, it's incredible the amount of work/offers that have come my way simply through contacts i've made through diverse social activities. and it's something that keeps on giving; just last month i started work on a project for a client who heard about me from someone whom i worked with at an NGO some years ago.

obviously, what you do will depend on what you like and the sort of people you want to meet, but it's all about getting yourself out there.
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Serious response about the resume: You are using the wrong format. You are using a chronological format which is best for mid career professionals because it shows off their long work history. They are looking for analysts not Marines, it is a plus to have your military experience on your resume but it shouldn't take up half the page, enphasize the accounting and analytical experience first. You may want to consider moving to a skills based resume to better highlight your skills. Failing that move NY Mellon to the top and really flesh out that part as that is the relavent experence. Put the military stuff next and cut out half of it. Best of luck.

P.S. Your cover letter is way to long. Make it, at most two paragraphs. Lastly, ditch the fitness report because they don't give a ****. They want an analyst not a physical trainer.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Good ideas for networking, C0ckney. Basically, go and do activities and meet folks. I'm sure there are things that upper middle class folk like to do in Philly rather than compare whether Pat's or Geno's is better.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

hmmm... Dinner has some good points here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                            Serious response about the resume: You are using the wrong format. You are using a chronological format which is best for mid career professionals because it shows off their long work history. They are looking for analysts not Marines, it is a plus to have your military experience on your resume but it shouldn't take up half the page, enphasize the accounting and analytical experience first. You may want to consider moving to a skills based resume to better highlight your skills. Failing that move NY Mellon to the top and really flesh out that part as that is the relavent experence. Put the military stuff next and cut out half of it. Best of luck.
                            Yes!! This. Your corporate work experience should be at the top, not your military experience. Potential employers may like that you are a marine, but they aren't hiring you for military logistics.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Bottom line if you want a job as an analyst all of that stuff should be up at the top and the rest doesn't matter nearly as much. Save that stuff for the interview. Look at the key points they are asking for and make sure you have those things listed even if it is just some aspect of those things. They don't want to date you, they don't care what your hobbies are, they want to know if you have very specific skills required for the job you are applying for. Make sure those skills are listed at the top.
                              Last edited by Dinner; August 5, 2015, 22:57.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X