No announcement yet.

Getting a better job...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have skinny ties but went with a wider one because it's more traditional. My cognac double monk straps will be the only bit of flair in my interview attire.

I have another version of my resume which includes Other Experience for my odd jobs. I'll post that when I get home.

I reached out to an HR recruiter for an internal position on Friday via phone. She said she would begin interviews on Monday but hasn't called me. I followed up with this email:
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Hhhhh
      Last edited by Al B. Sure!; October 20, 2015, 07:34.
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Here's the modified resume with the Other Experience listing odd jobs. Is the formatting for it strange? If I put it into a single column, it would have made my resume over a page

Also, should I add an interests/hobbies section?

Running/fitness, writing and performing poetry, writing/developing for independent video games*

*I'm actually one of the developers on the new African expansion for Age of Empires II: Age of Kings.
        Last edited by Al B. Sure!; October 20, 2015, 07:35.

Comment

• I guess I goofed?

Comment

• You cover letter is very wordy... but that was already mentioned to you before.
            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

• Really? This is very wordy? What would you recommend?

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              Regardless, my current Resume and Cover Letter are attached in .pdf format

[ATTACH]177555[/ATTACH]

Comment

• you've got just the right amount of fascist tendencies for banking

but too much antisemitism, i suspect
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• The resume looks rather short. I wouldn't hire a 30 y.o. man with only three years of experience. I'd rather see that you worked as a pizza delivery boy or a fluffer than think about why you were unemployed for so long.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• banking must be dead dull

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      Also, should I add an interests/hobbies section?

Running/fitness, writing and performing poetry, writing/developing for independent video games*
                      I wouldn't add interests/hobbies unless they're directly relevant to the job and/or incredible. Like, if you were applying to develop video games, or you managed to, uh . . . okay, I can't think of anything incredible you might do as a hobby that would be of interest to a bank. I'd just leave it off.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Because my LinkedIn profile will inevitably be looked at. Anything wrong with this picture?

Yes I'm 30.

the knot on the tie needs to be smaller, and the tie... better

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                          I wouldn't add interests/hobbies unless they're directly relevant to the job and/or incredible. Like, if you were applying to develop video games, or you managed to, uh . . . okay, I can't think of anything incredible you might do as a hobby that would be of interest to a bank. I'd just leave it off.
                          Would agree with this 99.9% of the time. UNLESS you've really done some research and know your target. One guy that I interviewed did some really good research on me and learned that I golfed a lot. He put that he played on his resume and made sure to bring it up in the interview (asked if there was a company golf tournament)

Otherwise he was like all the other candidates but that was the difference maker and I choose to hire him.

I know this is difficult to do but for second interviews sometimes you can do it. Maybe not on the resume but definitely to bring up during the process
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Really? This is very wordy? What would you recommend?
                            I meant, the stuff in your post above mine.
                            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

• Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                              banking must be dead dull
                              Dull, and you need to be a crook.

The industry attracts the worst sort of people, IMO. I don't mind a crook if they have a great personality.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                                Depends on the job. Upscale hobbies where you mingle with appropriate people are good if you're in sales. If it's a back office job, then programming's a good hobby to have. Retail front office - crossfit, swimming etc suggest you are nice to look at.
                                Graffiti in a public toilet
                                Do not require skill or wit
                                Among the **** we all are poets
                                Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Working...
                                X