No announcement yet.

Getting a better job...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah that's not going to happen unless I apply for jobs at work. Each application is far too time-consuming.

If you have a better strategy that doesn't take an hour per application, I'd appreciate it. Right now, my process is searching for jobs I think I'm qualified for on career pages, spending close to 45 minutes agonizing over my cover letter, and filling out the application. Even with all the time on the cover letters, I am still not confident that I am doing them right.

I would appreciate a look at the JP Morgan positions and cover letters I posted to tell me 1) if I'm writing them right and 2) if I'm even applying to jobs that my resume/cover letter speak to. From my understanding speaking with people in the industry, my non-related 'experience' is actually a detriment to entry-level financial positions which prefer recent college graduates.

Unfortunately, I've discovered that the ubiquitous Taleo software marginalizes my ability to submit customized resumes for different positions with the same company. I can only mark one file as my Resume for all job postings. Taleo also limits the number of files so I can only have 3 different cover letter attachments, limiting how many positions I can apply to with each company.

I want to hear as much as possible on the nitty gritty of actually searching and applying for jobs. I need to improve my processes.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• I think that 5 good applications per week is reasonable, if you are working.

My memory is 1-3 interviews per 10 applications and 1-3 job offers per 10 interviews.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
        I didn't think Alby had enough to be handing 5 guys money.
        maybe he's better off handling money at Five Guys?

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• 50 applications per week implies that there are two hundred fresh vacancies per month in Al's commuting distance. Given that he's applying to middle-tier banking jobs at very large banks AFAICT, what would that say about turnover?
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            That's not possible. I work full-time, have a 4 hour commute, and I spend about an hour a day doing Reserve things. Each cover letter and application takes about an hour to complete, excluding searching for positions.

Given these limitations, my only strategy is targeted applications. That's why I am asking for input because every application I submit must be perfect because I can only submit max a handful a week.

50? More like 5. That's just being realistic.
            Agonize over your cover letters while you're commuting. Buy a used netbook if you don't have one. That's 20 more applications per week.
            Graffiti in a public toilet
            Do not require skill or wit
            Among the **** we all are poets
            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• That's my searching for open positions time and reviewing resume/cover letter advice sites time. There really are not that many non-IT entry-level investment banking or asset management analyst jobs at big banks in New York City and Jersey City. There's a ton of jobs but not ones I believe I'm qualified for so sifting through openings takes a lot of time. They use college career fairs and development programs to recruit for my targeted positions. The gems are the ones that say UP TO 1 year experience. Like is this a joke?

Has anyone used professional resume review services?

I would really appreciate someone looking at the JP Morgan cover letters and telling me if they are appropriate for the position.
              Last edited by Al B. Sure!; September 1, 2015, 07:25.
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I would really appreciate someone looking at the JP Morgan cover letters and telling me if they are appropriate for the position.
                opportunity to apply my analytical and communication skills to a position fulfilling my interests in valuation and the use of derivatives to mitigate portfolio risk.
                Highlighted are not in the spec - you need a really good reason to include them, as I'd query them at interview.

In the Marine Corps, I independently audited a procurement contract after discovering inconsistencies in costs. Through analysis, I identified systemic overcharges overlooked by auditors. I successfully communicated these discrepancies to high-level military officers, saving the government $6.1 million.
                Nice, but include something from your current job first, and shorten this to one sentence - you can expand it at interview.
                "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

• I agree. If the Marine Corp reference is going to help you, no matter how short the reference, it will be discussed/milked in the interview. If it's not going to help you, it can be equally ignored in the interview.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Thank you for looking at the cover letter.

I really have no accomplishments from my current job to add to my cover letter. I have just passed the 3 year mark but with my military service, I've only actually worked at BNY for a total of 9 months broken over 3 periods. Unlike in the Marine Corps where I have unique and measurable accomplishments, I have nothing from the accounting job. The position is glorified data entry and there's no possibility of doing anything measurable besides not producing an NAV error.

I genuinely feel the accounting experience hurts me. It disqualifies me from entry-level positions and gives the impression that I'm a back office underperformer.
                    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; September 1, 2015, 17:01.

Comment

• Nm
                      Last edited by Al B. Sure!; September 1, 2015, 16:59.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy View Post
                        Agree about the tie, really painful to look at, sorry. Skinny not what we are looking for, its the knot that is too big. A normal time with a slim knot would be more effective. Buy a fashion magazine FCS, fat knots are so 1980.
                        it's posts like this that make realise how lucky i am to inhabit a world where this kind of silly nonsense doesn't matter.
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Albie, are you not inundated with LinkedIn requests from agents? Let some of them do legwork for you?
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Many years ago a headhunting company was interested in adding me for executive IT positions so I agreed to go in for an interview with them so they could optimize placements. (they always promised the world)

After about an hour was up, their CEO came in and offered me a job with them.

I couldn't run out of there fast enough.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                              Albie, are you not inundated with LinkedIn requests from agents? Let some of them do legwork for you?
                              No. Am I supposed to be?

There's an opportunity to be a general's aide de camp for 6 months that just opened up starting in October. Great opportunity for my Marine Corps career but I need to submit by tomorrow morning for a relocation to New Orleans by Oct 1. I'll need to get my driving lessons and license asap. It won't help my private sector resume though but I impress a general and high level staff and who knows what benefits I could reap?

I also got an internal recruiter at my company to forward my resume to a hiring manager in NY for a financial analyst position assessing the financial impact of the bank's projects to comply with the Volcker rule. Not even the interview is guaranteed though.

Comment

No. Am I supposed to be?
                                Supposed to? No. But I get unsolicited invitations regularly, and calls directly to my work number from them (they target the whole department). My experience is that it's common in the finance world.

If you get a chance, speak to a couple - they won't get you the best job for you, but they can possibly get you a better one than you have now or give you additional choices.
                                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X