No announcement yet.

Getting a better job...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agree about the tie, really painful to look at, sorry. Skinny not what we are looking for, its the knot that is too big. A normal time with a slim knot would be more effective. Buy a fashion magazine FCS, fat knots are so 1980.
    We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

• I'm struggling to implement company or position information into the cover letter. What sort of things do I say? Where do I source information?

Does the Other Experience fit on my resume or does it make the format unclean?
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Mutual Fund and ETF pricing difficulties due to computer problems at BNY Mellon.

Albie! Get back to work!
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Yup. That's us.
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• $404 billion in funds without prices for a week during a big downturn in the markets. My funds are unaffected but I don't know if I want this position on my resume now.

Comment

• Well, you can always say during the interview process that it made you realize you needed to go to a place that had its **** together .
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Or say that due to your efforts, your funds weren't affected even though many others were.
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• It's a tech issue. My group doesn't use that software. Has nothing to do with me.

How is this for a cover letter?

Here's the position:

[quote]Primarily support senior portfolio managers on the analysis and execution of US Equity Large Cap Core Investment strategies. This position presents a unique opportunity to learn about the portfolio management process by assisting in the daily implementation of a portfolio strategy. The role provides the analyst with exposure to JPMAM products and investment professionals within US Equity.

Portfolio Implementation - Develop an understanding of the investment process with the objective of assisting the portfolio manager in implementing buy/sell decisions by sending down orders in equities, futures, and treasuries, monitoring cash flows amongst various accounts, communicating with trading teams, and monitoring futures hedging, etc.
                  Portfolio Monitoring - Keeping abreast of portfolio positioning, market news, and trades, analyzing/reconciling position discrepancies, monitoring account guidelines and restrictions, investment performance reviews; etc.
                  Ad-hoc projects - Working with various individuals and groups on projects related to portfolio management, including research initiatives, stock fundamentals and valuation, complex account transitions, transaction cost analysis, etc.
                  Qualifications:
                  Paramount skills for this position are attention to detail, methodical approach to problem solving, highly numerate, and strong interest in financial markets. Best candidate would be one who is self-motivated, able to execute on objectives, focused on goals/results and is a team player. A large part of this role requires liaisons with numerous groups within JPMAM, therefore strong interpersonal skills are crucial.

Ideal experience for this position does not require any previous investment management experience per se, but experience from some realm of the investment process support could be beneficial. Most importantly the candidate should possess the aptitude and the desire to learn things quickly.

The candidate should also possess strong technical skills, particularly in MS Excel. Familiarity with Bloomberg is helpful. Coding experience with VBA preferred.

Qualifications

Identify applicable skills below:
                  Undergraduate degree in Business, Finance, Economics or related field with a minimum overall GPA of 3.2 . Resumes without an overall GPA stated will not be considered.
                  Strong analytical skills, high aptitude for numbers
                  Ability to identify trends though numerical analysis
                  Strong understanding of JPMAM products and services
                  Strong understanding of financial services industry
                  Market data
                  Last edited by Al B. Sure!; October 20, 2015, 07:36.

Comment

• Position:

The Retail Fixed Income Client Portfolio Management Analyst will be responsible for supporting the retail fixed income business. This position will focus on supporting the data needs of the team, with the goal of updating marketing materials, writing commentaries and monthly/quarterly reporting. The candidate will work closely with the team in order to facilitate and engage in all aspects of the client process. This position will be based in New York

Responsibilities

Support senior client portfolio managers with monthly/quarterly production of pitchbooks/marketing collateral/RFPs
                    Use various third party databases and other market resources to 1) obtain relevant data. 2) analyze specific market dynamics 3) summarize findings to use in white papers and other intellectual capital
                    Be a resource for team to prepare for due diligence meetings, formal presentations and meetings on the fixed income markets
                    Research and own long-term projects designed to further grow the retail fixed income business

Initial Expectations
                    Gain a solid foundation of JPMorgan fixed income products and clients
                    Take ownership of reporting and production of marketing materials
                    Offer support to team in developing analysis on products and creating materials to support the strength of JPMorgan's Fixed Income suite.
                    Be available resource for due diligence meetings, formal presentations, training and meetings on fixed income markets
                    Qualifications

Required Competencies
                    0-1 year of full time work experience
                    BA/BS undergraduate degree with strong financial background. A minimum overall GPA of 3.2 is required. Resumes submitted without a GPA will not be considered.
                    Consistent, reliable, accurate and excellent attention to detail, with the ability to multi-task
                    Strong analytical and problem solving skills
                    Strong knowledge of Bloomberg, Excel, PowerPoint, proficient in data mining and up keep
                    Responsiveness to client demands and ability to coordinate with multiple constituencies
                    Adaptability, innovative, results oriented, self-starting, excellent teamwork skills
                    Synthesize large amounts of data into relevant market summaries/soundbytes
                    Knowledge of the fixed income markets a plus, but not required
                    Cover Letter excerpt:
                    This position provides an unparalleled opportunity to apply my analytical, problem solving, and communication skills to portfolio management, a field that drew me to finance. I am also familiar with fixed income securities from my experience as an investment accountant. I look forward to the opportunity of working in a talented team providing relevant data for portfolio managers. I know accurate research is critical given the current uncertainty in the timing of raising interest rates.

Comment

• Keep up the enthusiasm and the effort and you'll get a few bites.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Al, cast a wi-i-i-i-ide net. 50 applications per week.
                        Graffiti in a public toilet
                        Do not require skill or wit
                        Among the **** we all are poets
                        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• That's not possible. I work full-time, have a 4 hour commute, and I spend about an hour a day doing Reserve things. Each cover letter and application takes about an hour to complete, excluding searching for positions.

Given these limitations, my only strategy is targeted applications. That's why I am asking for input because every application I submit must be perfect because I can only submit max a handful a week.

50? More like 5. That's just being realistic.

Comment

• You MUST find a balance. 5 is just not enough. You can be as perfect as you want, but those perfect ones may get routed to the circular file without even being read.

50 may be too many, (but that would be my plan) but 5 is not enough unless you're ******* 5 guy's *****.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                              50 may be too many, (but that would be my plan) but 5 is not enough unless you're ******* 5 guy's *****.
                              That sounds like a good plan for Alby

Comment

• I didn't think Alby had enough to be handing 5 guys money.
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X