My Problem with the "Fair" tax.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
    Because they're stupid. A flat tax is fair if you're rich.

Not that I know what the "Fair Tax" is.
    "fair" tax is basically not taxing the rich a higher percentage of their income.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
      Are you a Communist again or just a whiny liberal?
      Neither. If I were a liberal I would support Obamacare.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
        It's a fair joke
        Someone once told me that fair is where pigs compete for medals.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
          It's a fair joke
          Someone once told me that fair is where pigs compete for medals.

Comment

"Depends on their economic literacy, but I support lowering taxes on rich people, because rich people are my clients, and I can't get rich unless they have money to spend. Poor people also have never cut me a paycheck." -BK
            So purely self-interest? How is that fair?

Comment

To be fair, the pig breeders are competing for medals; the pigs couldn't care less.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Read Charlotte's Web

Comment

For those who don't know, American right wing fanatics hate the graduated income tax system where rich people pay higher rates effectively subsidizing poor people who get to pay lower rates. They want a flat tax where everyone pays the same nominal rate (minus deductions and it will always be the rich who get more deductions) and they claim this should be called a fair tax. The problem is, with deductions, this will mean the rich will actually pay a lower effective tax rate than the poor or middle class.

Add to that increasing taxes on the poor would really, really hurt them, to the point of not having food or shelter, and it would hardly raise any money at all. Especially since the top 1% make about 75% of the money in this country (mostly due to rent seeking and control of assets not through hard work) so you have to tax where the money is. Conservatives always ignore reality though.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Adam Smith liked progressive taxation

Why are flat taxers against capitalism?
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

BTW, you need to be completely dead above your shoulders if you think a flat tax is a good idea.

Honestly, what a stupid notion
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

BTW, you need to be completely dead above your shoulders if you think a flat tax is a good idea.

Honestly, what a stupid notion
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                          For those who don't know, American right wing fanatics hate the graduated income tax system where rich people pay higher rates effectively subsidizing poor people who get to pay lower rates. They want a flat tax where everyone pays the same nominal rate (minus deductions and it will always be the rich who get more deductions) and they claim this should be called a fair tax. The problem is, with deductions, this will mean the rich will actually pay a lower effective tax rate than the poor or middle class.

Add to that increasing taxes on the poor would really, really hurt them, to the point of not having food or shelter, and it would hardly raise any money at all. Especially since the top 1% make about 75% of the money in this country (mostly due to rent seeking and control of assets not through hard work) so you have to tax where the money is. Conservatives always ignore reality though.
                          This might be nitpicking but the top 1% have 20% of the income not 75%.

Comment

So purely self-interest? How is that fair?
                            Economics isn't a religion, Kidicious. Why shouldn't it be about my self-interest? I'm a teacher - students come here if their parents can afford to do so, but they can't afford to do so if they are taxed out of their eyeballs. So, lower the taxes and I keep my job.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Payroll taxes have the poor paying far more of what they earn than any flat tax. The poor are already being taxed to the gills, but it's only the working poor, so that's ok.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                                Adam Smith liked progressive taxation

Why are flat taxers against capitalism?
                                Conservatives have never been for capitalism. They've always promoted feudalism.
                                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X