[Uncivil] Texas approves textbooks with Moses as Founding Father

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double post.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
      God fearing Christians vote Republican for the most part. Simple electoral math. What did you guys expect from Texas anyway? They have to train the next generation in order to stay in power, right?
      No, Raving extremists vote Republican. 80% of Democrats are Christians and much better Christians then the evangelical ****stains who hate the poor and ignore everything Jesus actually said. Even Bill Maher recently covered this lie that Republicans are in any way Christians and that some how Democrats are not only not Christians but they are supposedly anti-Christian.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Bill Maher said? That settles it.
        End of discussion.

Case closed.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
          Briefly: our settler-types out west kept stealing land from the Indians, in spite of endless treaties by the Brits that we would stop. This irritated the Indians and led to wars and massacres, which in turn irked the Brits. Said Brits lacked the manpower to police such an enormous frontier, but they repeatedly ordered the bumpkins to knock it off with the land theft. This merely made the locals ornery, and defense costs for the colonies kept rising.

So they tried to recoup their losses on the colonies by raising taxes, which made smuggling more profitable. Most of the northern FFs had at least partial ownership in smuggling schemes, and got mad when the Brits cracked down on their activities. These taxes were "without representation," but that is irrelevant since our population was too low for any fair representation to make a difference. Anyway, lots of angry northern smugglers. Unrest grew quite violent in the north, especially in Boston; many of the "outrages" cited in the DoI refer to purely local issues there, brought on by royal attempts to restore law and order.

Southern planters were also resentful of the Brits, but in a passive way. They thought of themselves as aristocrats, but their slave estates weren't profitable enough to let them live that way, so folks like Washington and Jefferson always thought their British purchase agents were cheating them on all the fancy imported crap they bought. This got generalized into a dislike of all things British. But they didn't get rowdy until the idiot governor of VA, Lord Dunmore, threatened to arm their slaves against them if they didn't cut out the seditious talk. That drew them into the fight.

The war itself was prosecuted with great ineptness. The British took over a couple of Northern cities, then hung around scratching their balls. At one point we had the opportunity to kidnap an enemy general--I think it was Howe, not sure. Washington and his men conferred over whether to try it, but Hamilton said no, on the grounds that, if we took that general out of the picture, the king would have great difficulty finding someone equally incompetent to replace him. That's almost verbatim what he said, we have the original letter.

It lasted about five years anyway because we were hampered by the same revolutionary ideals we now celebrate. The colonists were too leery of authority to allow any government to tax them, so everything was funded by endlessly printed money. Cue hyperinflation. Our troops were paid in Monopoly money, when they were paid at all. Said troops were mostly militia, because we were also reluctant to have a standing army. Our experienced soldiers kept leaving once their twelve months were up. It drove Washington nuts. Good thing we were endlessly bankrolled by the French government, huh?

Basically, our whole concept of our founding is preposterously whitewashed. I don't see the point of getting angry because Texas replaced our stupid secular myth with a stupid religious myth. We had something that served to flatter us one way; they made it into a different kind of lie. Big deal.
          Finally!

Good to hear to true account, rather than the jingoistic bollocks you keep hearing spouted all the time.

The stupid thing is that anyone with half a brain visiting the likes of places like USS Constitution memorial, or the Alamo for example, can see for themselves just how much of the US' heroism is simply idiotic nationalistic propaganda. The information is all there to see, but somehow the locals are still blinded by their patriotism...

Basically, without the French, the greedy landowning ****heels that finally wrested independence from the UK would never have stood a chance.

If every American simply accepted the Statue of Liberty as the very symbol that they owe France their freedom, I'd be happy with that...
          "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

I thought history was written by the victors.

No taxation without representation! Give me liberty, or give me death! All men are created equal! FREEDOM! USA USA #1

(that's verbatim what my public school US history class taught me)

Comment

Not all that far off from my course that argues for Aquinas as a founding father. But then we're a Catholic school.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by I AM MOBIUS View Post
                Finally!

Good to hear to true account, rather than the jingoistic bollocks you keep hearing spouted all the time.

The stupid thing is that anyone with half a brain visiting the likes of places like USS Constitution memorial, or the Alamo for example, can see for themselves just how much of the US' heroism is simply idiotic nationalistic propaganda. The information is all there to see, but somehow the locals are still blinded by their patriotism...

Basically, without the French, the greedy landowning ****heels that finally wrested independence from the UK would never have stood a chance.

If every American simply accepted the Statue of Liberty as the very symbol that they owe France their freedom, I'd be happy with that...
                Why do you hate democracy and love tyrants?
                Last edited by Kidlicious; June 9, 2015, 04:52.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

If Ben is teaching them, he tells them the United States liberated the natives from the evil British.
                  Texas was never a British colony.

That being said. America did liberate the Indians. From the tyranny of the French.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

and from their land

Comment

Hang on, I thought Moses was from Ohio.

Click image for larger version

Name:	edwinmoses2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	9101675

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                        Texas was never a British colony.

That being said. America did liberate the Indians. From the tyranny of the French.
                        Don't try to be funny. I'm pretty sure that if you lived then you would be saying that we were saving the Native Americans from hell and civilizing them.

Oh, and the French were catholic, so were the Spanish.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                          Why do you hate democracy and love tyrants?
                          Why do you hate greedy indian killing slavers?
                          "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Don't try to be funny. I'm pretty sure that if you lived then you would be saying that we were saving the Native Americans from hell and civilizing them.
                            Are you suggesting I'm against colonialism? Colonialism is awesome. We have kickass roads, bridges, etc. Do you think without colonialism that Texas has any of that?

Oh, and the French were catholic, so were the Spanish.
                            They had just deposed their kings for Napoleon. Americans freed them from a dictator.

Comment

They had just deposed their kings for Napoleon. Americans freed them from a dictator.
                              Worst. Historian. Ever.

Comment

Are you suggesting I'm against colonialism? Colonialism is awesome. We have kickass roads, bridges, etc. Do you think without colonialism that Texas has any of that?

We freed them from the Catholics.

Comment

Working...
                                X