My problem with hippies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by giblets View Post
    Are hippies just an inversion of traditional values? Killing your neighbors is traditionally considered immoral, so does that mean hippies kill their neighbors?
    Charles Manson is a hippie, so yeah. I'm sure that since hippies don't believe in traditional values they are more likely to do things that people who believe in traditional values wouldn't.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

hahahahaha, sometime next year when I finish paying off my home I will owe not one dime to anybody.
      0 car payments
      0 credit card debt.
      0 loans
      Can you say the same?

Come on, make up something else.

I was a hippie when I was young and grew out of it.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
        hahahahaha, sometime next year when I finish paying off my home I will owe not one dime to anybody.
        0 car payments
        0 credit card debt.
        0 loans
        Can you say the same?

Come on, make up something else.

I was a hippie when I was young and grew out of it.
        At least you aren't a hippie ... anymore.

Comment

Thanks for admitting that I was a hippie and have that knowledge.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'm from the 60's and 70's and was one so I think I can talk with some authority on the subject. The hippies you're describing aren't the hippies from the 60's.
            Why am I wading into this? I guess because like rah I lived through the period. Hippiedom was cultural and political movement. It's aim was to focus and illuminate the contradictions and hypocracies of the previous generation. The period is justifiably famous for its sex and drugs and rock-n-roll; IIRC We Have to remember the times with the changes in the rapid decolonization of the world and desegregation at home. It was a wild time. It seemed that anything and everything could happen; peace, justice, environmental healing and technological revolution, and everything good. Oh, and a lot of other stuff I don't have the time to spout right now.
            Your Humble Narrator
            J
            To The Hijack Police: I don't know what you are talking about. I didn't do it. I wasn't there. I don't even own a computer.

Comment

Thanks for admitting that I was a hippie and have that knowledge.
              Stop glamourizing it. You made the right decision. Stick with it.

Comment

Originally posted by jsorense View Post
                Why am I wading into this? I guess because like rah I lived through the period. Hippiedom was cultural and political movement. It's aim was to focus and illuminate the contradictions and hypocracies of the previous generation. The period is justifiably famous for its sex and drugs and rock-n-roll; IIRC We Have to remember the times with the changes in the rapid decolonization of the world and desegregation at home. It was a wild time. It seemed that anything and everything could happen; peace, justice, environmental healing and technological revolution, and everything good. Oh, and a lot of other stuff I don't have the time to spout right now.
                Your Humble Narrator
                J
                You failed at the goals that you pretended to drive for.

Comment

Let me know when you attain any goals.

I don't believe any of my posts glamorized it. It was a protest to what we thought was wrong. Things change and so do people as they grow up.
                  The hippie culture was very supportive of the civil rights movement. If you don't think that goal was at least partially attained, you are truly clueless.

But I'm not going to fall back into a futile generation argument. Every one has different challenges that makes things different. I'm old enough now to know what I don't know and it's quite a bit, but it doesn't mean I don't know anything. I'd rather have grown up when I did then now. It doesn't seem that the current group has the same impossible goals that we did. And yes we weren't saints. The drugs and free sex (before HIV was quite a draw.
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                    You failed at the goals that you pretended to drive for.
                    Yes, indeed, there have been many disappointments and failures. However, there have been some successes such as shortening the Vietnam War, environmental legislation, political enfranchise, etc. These are good things.
                    To The Hijack Police: I don't know what you are talking about. I didn't do it. I wasn't there. I don't even own a computer.

Comment

Yes, indeed, there have been many disappointments and failures. However, there have been some successes such as shortening the Vietnam War, environmental legislation, political enfranchise, etc. These are good things.
                      Yeah, those are political goals. We also have politicians that lie and aren't worried about ruining their chances of being reelected, or impeached, or ruining their party, because lying is basically ok with people now. It's also ok for politicians to play the victim and manipulate the voters etc...

Morally, this country is going down the toilet. But yeah there have been political changes, not all of them good.

But the counter-culture movement was about changing the culture, for the better obviously, not just changing laws. It was also suppose to be about the individual, and his/her being who they want to be, and thinking for themselves. On that end I view it as a complete failure. Individuals are pressured into conformity even more than they used to be.

Comment

Equality of the sexes was one of those desired culture changes. That wasn't a complete failure

In any society some conformity is required. Everyone must conform to the rule of law or face the consequence. just one example
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                          But the counter-culture movement was about changing the culture, for the better obviously, not just changing laws. It was also suppose to be about the individual, and his/her being who they want to be, and thinking for themselves.
                          Well, it is working for me.

Comment

Equality of the sexes was one of those desired culture changes. That wasn't a complete failure

In any society some conformity is required. Everyone must conform to the rule of law or face the consequence. just one example
                            Women's liberation was not a complete failure, that's true. The thing is women are already liberated and they are still brainwashed into being victims. There isn't going to be feminine women in the near future. The only really feminine women that I know are old enough to be your mother. You can't be feminine when you are brainwashed into believing that you are victims and that men are horrible.

As far as equality of opportunity, yeah that's a good thing, and they should no longer act like they don't have equal opportunity.

On your second point, about conformity, the belief that it's important to obey the law can be something that you yourself believe, independent of what society values, or it can be what you believe simply because you don't give a crap about thinking for yourself and you're too stupid to stand up for what's right.

Comment

Well, it is working for me.
                              That's good, but you don't have to be a hippie to be yourself.

Comment

Why do I keep reading the thread title as, "My problem with nipples"?
                                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X