British people are finally honest in a poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American humor does that too, Kentonio.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Ah, now I get it. The Kuci Brothers are a comedy installation.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
        American humor does that too, Kentonio.
        Not on quite the same way, American humour can be quite painfully earnest.

Comment

Painfully Ernest ...

Comment

I'm not having a dig there btw, it's just different cultural approaches to humour. The one unforgivable sin in British humour is taking yourself too seriously, yet because its almost mandatory to be a sarcastic prick if you're British, people tend to think we're being a lot more serious than we actually are.

As a Brit watching American comedy, it usually seems to lead to a point where there's an earnest moment at the end. Things can be funny and sarcastic and self deprecating, but I think you guys kind of expect almost a moral or sermon at the end in some form. That exists here too, but its generally a lot more subtle, and is usually masked with something else.

Comment

Yeah, American media is often very childish. There almost always has to be a moral message shoehorned in, or a clear victory of good over evil in a dumbed down way that even kids will understand.

That in itself is pretty funny though, but not for the intended reasons...
              "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

You guys have clearly never seen Family Guy.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

OK, or childish and very very funny!

Shows like South Park and Family Guy are exceptions that prove the rule.
                  "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                    You guys have clearly never seen Family Guy.
                    South Park is a better example, also Archer. Family Guy is close, but still has a bit of the mawkishness I'm talking about. Family guy is probably the closest to the whimsical nature of a lot of British comedy though.

Comment

The interesting point to South Park is that it is a clear parody of your cutesy childish American culture with their moral messages. Because at the end of their episodes, there's a piss take of the exact thing I'm getting at where the boys ponder over what has happened during an episode and convey the important lesson taken from it with a short monologue: "You know, I've learned something today..."

Comment

American society is theocratic, it's inevitable that things like family, "morality" (in the manichaistic theocratic sense) etc will take the forfront.
                        Most american films have the sacred family as avant gaurd to be protected at all times.
                        Imagine any european leader saying "I thank God", people would have started questioning his mental state.
                        Only in ISIS are such things permissible.
                        Now british humour is for the most part as funny as a wet rag but there are some real nice gems, especially the art of the understatement.

Comment

not that i dislike muricans, they wear their heart on their sleaves, good people

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                            Now british humour is for the most part as funny as a wet rag
                            Unlike the world renowned Balkans humour..

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                              Needs more goat.
                              Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                              I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Arrested Development also...there seem to be quite a large number of "exceptions"...
                                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                                X