British people are finally honest in a poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elok View Post
    Seriously, I don't want your life. I had the chance at one point, but I found the prospect revolting on all but the most superficial levels. If you like it, good on you. And I'm really not very nationalistic at all; every day I work, I stand in silence during the Pledge.

I am saying, as a matter of my experience, that most Americans are not really aware that there is more than one English accent, and think of "English accent" as "how Hugh Grant talks." I believe this is largely a matter of cultural programming, because by convention our movie directors give propah English accents to every foreign character they want to seem sympathetic or respectable. It's a kind of shorthand for "this character is exotic, but not in a scary way." Perhaps you have one of those accents, or something close enough that we can't tell. Don't care.
    a) Please get a sense of humour. I know it's difficult what with being American and all, but at least give it a go.
    b) You have no idea how I live my life.

Comment

from my experience,
      americans are the easiest to understand (exposure to hollywood films does that to you) despite talking like they are chewing gum all the time
      english can somewhat be understood, there is a feeling that they have a pole up their ass, but that comes across dignified
      scottish there's no chance in hell to understand them you just smile along

canadian french is an afront to the french language

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
        Please get a sense of humour.
        You are far less amusing than you think you are. Similar to Kidicious (or MrFun) that way
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
          You are far less amusing than you think you are. Similar to Kidicious (or MrFun) that way
          You should get drunk with me sometime, I'm actually ****ing hilarious.

Comment

Apparently it requires the other person to be drunk at the time .
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Just as long as Kent doesn't employ Kid's predatory technique...

[/PHd] ?
              "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                Apparently it requires the other person to be drunk at the time .
                Sorry kentonio, you just got owned
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Anyway, fact remains that I am possessed of the correct British accent to get into the knickers of American ladies - I really should visit the US more often to make use of it...
                  "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Comment

You should get drunk with me sometime, I'm actually ****ing hilarious.
                      How drunk would someone have to be to think you are hilarious?
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by I AM MOBIUS View Post
                        Anyway, fact remains that I am possessed of the correct British accent to get into the knickers of American ladies - I really should visit the US more often to make use of it...
                        If you say 'knickers' there's no chance.

Comment

Well, I was going to say pants, but that doesn't work either...

Hose?

Stupid Yank language.

Comment

Originally posted by I AM MOBIUS View Post
                            Well, I was going to say pants, but that doesn't work either...

Hose?

Stupid Yank language.
                            Panties. Also, don't refer to them as stupid Yanks.

Comment

a) Please get a sense of humour. I know it's difficult what with being American and all, but at least give it a go.
                              Condescending humor is typically only funny to the one doing the condescending. I assume the same is true of humour, humouor, houmor, and every other spelling. As I have explained to others on here before, a simply rude statement does not become funny by the mere act of relabeling it humor.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                                Condescending humor is typically only funny to the one doing the condescending. I assume the same is true of humour, humouor, houmor, and every other spelling. As I have explained to others on here before, a simply rude statement does not become funny by the mere act of relabeling it humor.
                                Humourless yank.

If you understood anything about Britain, you'd understand that 99% of our humour is self deprecating. It usually starts off condescending and superior but ends up with ourselves as the butt of the joke. You guys just never wait long enough to get to that part, before you get all offended.

Comment

Working...
                                X